Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dodge/evade capped?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Manago, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Manago

Manago IncGamers Member

Dodge/evade capped?

Can this be raised to a crazy amount or are these skills capped at a certain point? I'm thinking on hardcore if you could crank a crazy amount of +skills you could get close to being unkillable... Also, can you dodge things that are guided? i.e. bone spirit, guided arrows, what about random magic, like lightning bolts?

2. Manago

Manago IncGamers Member

Also, can you dodge things while using strafe? If you can't... kind of makes it pointless to get points into it right? 'cause strafe lock is the only time I think I'd end up getting hit.

3. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

In theory, you can get it impossible high. Though you have some things that prevent you from doing this.

1. Diminishing returns. It might take a few hunderd +skills to get it realy high. So, don't try this. You can get it high though at a certain point, it realy isn't usefull anymore. Perhaps something like +4 to get just 1% extra.
    2. If you invest like that, you will not be possible to kill anything. Everything has to be orientated to having plus skills. So bad idea.

Yes you can dodge while straving but it will have some down sides. Have a look at this.
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=503082&highlight=fend

P.S. If you realy want to experiment with super high + skill, you need to go single player and do some things you may not do. Though for research, well...
    P.P.S It might even be that bad that you don't get anyone percentage more with +skills. So, don't simply count on that.

4. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Theoretically speaking, it should eventually be possible to get to 99% or maybe even 100% dodge (depending on what the diminishing returns formula is). Practically speaking, it's impossible, since that would require thousands upon thousands upon thousands of +skills, and the most +skills possibly available to an Amazon is +35.

Diminishing returns makes heavy investments in Dodge entirely impractical. For instance, once you have a slvl 45 dodge, you'll need +9 more skills before you'll get ANY better chance to dodge (45 = 63% chance to dodge, 54 = 64% chance to dodge).

Edit: If you like the idea of cranking dodge to ridiculous levels, consider making a Tankazon. The whole theory behind the Tankazon is to spend ALL of your skill points in the passive tree to make the best tank you possibly can.

5. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

I think that 62% is probably the highest you want to go. I have an all Passives zon with ~8 in each D/A/E, and she hits 62%. Theoretically you probably could hit 63% or even 64%, but the amount of skill points that you would have to use would negate any helpful effect that might have. Points would be much better spent maxing Vaklyrie, Decoy, or Slow Missiles. Then again, as they say, the best Defense is a good Offense. Dead things can't kill you...

BTW: My zon, when in Bear form from Beast, has ~4k life, 61% Dodge, 72% Avoid, 35% DR, and 21% Block, and she can survive most anything PvM. Resists are a problem, but other than that...I suppose that if I'd gotten max block (maybe I'll stick an Eld in that SS of mine...or a Ber...or a Ko...) she'd be even better. The problem I have is Resists...

P.S: That's without any BO. I've gotten my Zon to ~9k life with a good BO and an Oak Sage...that was pretty hot. :jig:

:smug:

6. Delreich

Delreich IncGamers Member

D/A/E has a max% of 65/75/65.

7. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Not quite. That would be the D/A/E figures if you could get to slvl 60, which is currently unachievable (until Diablo makes a new patch and creates an Uber Tyreal who deals 50,000,000 damage per hit and drops a charm that gives +elevendy-two skills and 1,000 PDR/MDR). The best currently achievable D/A/E is 64/74/64. On the other hand, there's no hard cap on D/A/E, so if you could somehow get to slvl 77, you'd have a 66% Dodge and Evade, or a 76% Avoid.

8. Fuzzier

Fuzzier IncGamers Member

Everything has a cap, of course.
    i.e. slvl is capped at 99, no matter how many +skills you get. But slvl 99 is never achievable legally.

9. Delreich

Delreich IncGamers Member

Nope. The numbers above are from skills.txt and have the comment 'max % <skillname>'.
    I only posted the cap as I'm not sure exactly how the asymptotic functions work.

Visual aid.

10. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

I stand correct. Thanks. :smiley:

11. Manago

Manago IncGamers Member

Okay you guys kind of got into a debate on your own... Just wanted to know if it gets capped at a certain % (which it doesn't) and if you can dodge things that are homing.

i.e. Can I dodge another amazon's guided arrow? A necro's bone spirit?
    What about just random ''non-guided'' elemental attacks? Can I dodge lightning? Iceblast? Twisters?

12. lendial

lendial IncGamers Member

yes you can dodge all those things even smite