Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Doa

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Freet, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

Doa

My computer that is....:(

733 meg, 5 year old Dell.

Actually, it's not dead yet but it's taking its last breath as I type this.

No, this doesn't mean that I won't be here smacking ner-the-wellers with the stick. I managed to get this wreck to stay on line long enough to make an order for a new Dell 2.8 gig. Seeing how I'm in Austin and so is Dell, I should receive the new one within a day or so.

I paid $550 for this one way back then and my new one is costing me $214.

Whada deal hey?

2. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

If youre just buying savvy, dell rules.

Im still waiting for them to notice that i got too much for my money.

3. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Does that $214 computer come with a operating system? Sometimes they dump prices but sell it with no op system.

4. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Does not compute

Five years seems to be par for the course, Freet. My HP desktop is 5 years old (still operating under Windows 98!) and only within the last 4 months has it become a real problem to maintain and use.

5. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

I think dells have taken a steep decline in quality in the last 3 or so years. I know I would never buy one... especially one for $214. I doubt very much if that comes with an OS.

6. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Woohoo! Freetless OTF for a day!

*runs naked through the thread*

Oh, wait. He said he wouldn't be gone for long. *covers self with banana leaf*

7. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

A banana leaf is a bit of overkill, don't you think?

*Hands DC a pine needle*

8. toader

toader Banned

Com'on now...be nice.

*hands DC peanut shell and rubber band*

Anyways..congrats on the new purchase Freetos. Although Dell has some quirky stuff, their Customer Support is still hands down the best.

9. Usufruct

If you have no trouble understanding somebody with a heavy indian accent.

10. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Ugh that makes me so mad, just suck it up and pay native English speakers.

5 years isn't too bad for a Windows box, /. said the average is 3.5 years for a PC. . .7 for a Mac. That's if the machines are running the latest OS and doing medium-heavy work loads(photoshop, etc)

11. Gorny

Gorny Banned

I agree with that one....call Dell tech support and you get someone in India. Named Ron.

12. Usufruct

I have to call to RMA things for customers sometimes, I've gotten everything from Dave to Inesh :)

13. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

Ok, I can see that there are doubting Thomases in the mix so.....

P4-2.8Ghz, 533 FSB

WinXP Home (Don't care since the first thing I'm going to do is format/reload w/ XP Pro anyway.)

256 MB DDR SDRAM (At this price I can afford to go a gig)

40GB, (7200 rpm) HDD (I would go bigger but I really don't need the extra space)

48x CD ROM drive

48x CDRW drive

I realize that this is not the ultimate machine but I consider it a damned good deal for the money and all I'm likely to need in the forseeable future. For those that fuss about Dell and their tech support I can only say this:

I've been running Dells for years and the only time I've ever had an issue is one noisy hard drive after around 10 months of use. I called tech support and they had a new (larger) drive to me two days later. The times I have called tech support they have always been quick to answer, knowlegeable and courteous.

I hope this satisfies you folks because I'm pleased and, since I'm paying the bill, (a very small bill) that's all that really matters. :thumbsup:

14. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Where did you get it? Is it still available at that price? I could use a new computer but don't need it for super duper games or anything so that would do me great.

Is it one of the refurbs? If so, I imagine the warranty may cover you still, but I would personally be wary of why the person returned it in the first place.

15. rare

rare IncGamers Member

I got one named Robert. He told me to "Open it up like a cookie." ("It" meaning my computer)

Another one told me that "AOL will rock your world"

16. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

I ordered it from Dell.com. Yes, it is a refurb just like the rest of the Dells I have purchased. Again, I have never had any problems with them though and like you said, they come with a full year warranty if something does happen. Not to mention, I also got a full 90 day replacement warranty and they have a special going right now. For 90 days after that if something does go wrong they will come to my house and fix it....free.

Now, to answer your question about whether they have any more:

When you check out the refurb list you have to act fast. When you see one that you like you immediately put it in your shopping cart. If you don't it won't be there when you look again. If you don't want it after checking further then don't buy it. This method keeps someone else from getting it while you are deciding.

I will give this warning though. Once it's in your shopping cart you have 15 minutes to close the deal or it goes back into inventory. I also recommend you allow yourself 5-10 minutes to complete the transaction since you do have to give them some information to complete the deal and this is also part of your 15 minutes.

I lost one good deal before I found this one because I piddled oround before making my decision. The rest of the deals on the list at that time weren't that good so when I woke up the next morning at 4 oclock I looked again and found this one which was $10 cheaper than the one I missed out on the night before. And this one was identical except it also has the extra cd rom drive.

Don't sweat it. Dell works 24-7 and deals like this show up all times of the day and night. If you aren't pleased with the deals you see, just wait a half hour and check again. You will find a helluva deal sooner or later.

Here's the site:

http://outlet.us.dell.com/Dispatcher?target=InventoryPage&action=sort&sortColumn=price&lob=DIM&sessionID=CXuSH5h7!1855008104!-1341598920!1113009682522&tgtSeg=B

If you don't see anything you like in your price range then click "Submit Search" again and it will refresh the list which is constantly updated.

Go ahead, I know you want to.

*Sits and waits to suck in yet another Dell groupie*

17. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

Surprise!!!

It seems this old rag wasn't crapping after all. I was disassembling (getting my gforce 4 and sound card out to put in the new machine) and it started working great. Seems the video card was causing all the problems after all.

This machine is running like a new one again.

Gooo Dell!!!

Anyone want to buy a brand new puter? J/K

18. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Well, I have a 5 year old Compaq and it's still kickin'.......I changed some hardware and overclocked my CPU but it seems to work fine. Hence, Compaq doesn't suck as much as people say...well it might but stop making fun of me for it.

19. toader

toader Banned

Well, I dunno if thats good or bad news. A new (decent) video card will cost almost as much as that entire new Dell you just bought.

But, you can probably easily get a 128MB/128-bit card for under 90 bucks on newegg, which should work just great for an old man like you. ;)

20. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Some of us still run our GeForce 3's. It's disappointing really, I was thinking about a new computer as a graduation present a year or two ago, and now that I'm getting close, I realize I don't use my computer for gaming. So there's no point in a new PC when this does everything I need it to do. :(

And Freet, don't think we didn't notice your double post. I'm putting you on double secret probation now.