Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Do you want to see my Peter?: A naked Barb's Journey

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Brak, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Brak

Brak Diabloii.Net Member

So this is something I started well over a year ago playing off and on. Obviously it was inspired by the likes of Superdave and InsaneWayne, but also by Morathi's "We love to be NAKED Tournament" where EasyGijs Guardianed a Sin. I participated in that tournament but somewhere around Act III NM, I read the rules which indicated no RWM, since I'd been running with Insight I just dropped out. But I've always wanted to give it another go, and thus Peter was born.

I'll use this thread to get you up to date and then hopefully post my continued progress.
    My basic rules are:
    1.13 FAM
    Extended stash
    No equipped gear (except switch to carry sellables)
    No charms
    Single Pass
    Full Clear

Peter never fit in with his brethren. While they were always interested in battle, weapon mastery and honing their fighting skills, he just never could get himself interested in such pursuits. In seclusion, he taught himself very unbarbaric things like the arts, song and dance. He vowed to be a pacificst and shirk the violence of his people. But then the demon invasion happened. While alone on a mountaintop as he often was, the village he was painting began billowing smoke. At first he encorporated it into his painting, thinking it for a spit roasted boar, but then he saw the flames climbing over the thatched roof cottages. "Are my people warring again?" he thought, shaking his head. No, this was different. The shrieking sounds of exotic beasts, and the way the ground tremored during the altercation were the first signs something was wrong. He finally caught a glimpse of the demons hoard through the snow, swarming over the white landscape. "I must return to Harrogath."

Grape, T72on1, Dezrok and 3 others like this.
  2. Pb_pal

Pb_pal Diabloii.Net Member

Awesome! Looking forward to reading about this one. Good luck! :)

3. japanzaman

japanzaman Diabloii.Net Member

Wow, looks like a naked pattern is developing around here lately. Perhaps I should have done that with my druid as well. Hopefully you aren't doing this as P8.

4. Brak

Brak Diabloii.Net Member

From Harrogath, Peter eventually made his way to the Rogue Encampment. Aside from his pacifist tendencies, he had some other odd quirks. He is a nudist for one. So he discarded the buckler and hand axe they gave all the fresh meat the comes into town. He's also a vegan, as he doesn't like killing other creatures to sustain himself. While he's not as strong as he compatriots, he possesses the vigor of many men. His years in the harsh wilderness have given him an endurance against the elements, and made him the ultimate scavenger. And surprisingly, he is a world class motivator. This one is probably just genetic, as his mother was a personal trainer at Hrothgar's Gym.

So his plan coming into the Rogue Encampment was to gather a group of heroes that he could command in battle. But his powers of persuasion, were not strong enough to overcome his scrawny nakedness. Talking to the locals, they mentioned that he needs to prove himself before he could gain followers. So Peter went out into the wilderness and started pounding faces. He didn't mind so much killing the undead as he was liberating them of their bonds of servitude. However, he felt remorse upon killing the demons and especially the brainwashed wildlife. Although after a few pricks from the quill rats, he wasn't so upset about his situation. He punched his way through the Blood Moor, and while this did earn him the respect of Akara, he still had no followers. So he continued, punching his way and honing his skills until finally he could finally hire a hand from Kashya. He hired a Fire Rogue named Divo (cause he was honestly a bit of a diva himself) after hearing about the weaknesses of his upcoming foe, the wicked Andariel.

They (ie Divo) completed many simple tasks for the locals without challenge, like vanquishing the twisted Blood Raven and ridding the Tower of the Countess. Divo finally needed some assistance when it came to killing the Smith, who strangely had no pockets. A cruel beast was found in the Jail, but Peter used his powers of dance to charm it into a state of tranquility. The rest of the journey down the catacombs to fight Andariel was a blur. She spewed a foul concoction that turned the party green, and Peter was impotent to assist in the battle as none of his tricks seemed to work on Andariel. But Divo was up to the task, and the Demon was consumed by a pillar of fire.

The reasons I wanted to go with a naked barb are multifold. To my knowledge, it's the only class that hasn't been Guardianed naked yet. However, I think it has a lot of things going for it. Some of the best one point wonders in Taunt and Howl. Battle Orders gives a tremendous life pool to the merc, and making the Barb a decent tank even when naked. One of two classes with passive ways to increase elemental resists. Extra chance of loot from item find. Potions on demand as well. Battle Cry, although challenging to administer, is a potent tool against melee attackers, and helps the merc with hitting foes. And finally, what I think is the most underappreciated crowd control skill in the game, Leap. With a handful of points, an entire screen can be neurtralized, and potently so for enemies with slow hit recoveries. And it works on virtually all enemies in the game including champions and uniques, and only excluding Act Bosses, Izual, Nihlathak and the Ancients.

The major down side is that he is essentially the only class that cannot apply either direct damage or indirect damage from a summon, and is thus entirely reliant on the merc for killing. Yes you could make a naked Singer, but good luck with that one.

Peter's game play in the early stages was admittedly tedious. Without Insight and with a tiny tiny manapool, horking addictions were a chore to maintain. But through all of his progress, he has only missed a few corpses, those that landed over unreachable terrain. Before he had Find Item, he used Find Potion on all bodies, keeping hold of the mana's to use/sell. When he obtained Find Item, he used it when he had access to blue pots, and 100% on champs/uniques, reverting to Find Potion if running out of mana pots. In the limited tough battles he faced, he either tanked for Divo (the Smith) or used Leap while chugging blues (Fouldog, Bone Ash). Early skill points were spent into Find Item, one point wonders, Leap and prereqs to BO. He's never come close to dying.

In the next installment, we'll go on to Act 2.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  5. kstuart

kstuart Diabloii.Net Member

So tempted to do one myself. Dunno what with though or even how to skill them up. I am guessing a Paladin is considered cheaty in that holy freeze would tag on cold damage to my punching. Then there is having other auras on to boost resistances later in the game.

6. Brak

Brak Diabloii.Net Member

If I were doing this with a Pali i'd probably go with a Hammer/Cleric hybrid, or a full on Cleric/Auradin.
    100% merc kills do help drops since your kills will always get 0MF.

7. ILikeRocks

ILikeRocks Diabloii.Net Member

I am really excited about this! When I saw SuperDave and Insane Wayne do their Zons, I started a barb, but I never even came close to finishing because I got pretty bored with it. The stories were awesome though! Good luck sir!

8. Dezrok

Dezrok Diabloii.Net Member

Awesome Brak! Good luck and really interested to see how this goes! Great to see more nakedness going on.

@kstuart Not sure what would be cheaty about doing any class naked? The whole point is to use skills to make up for no gear... I think Pally would be one of the hardest to do, but happy for you to do it and prove me wrong

9. Brak

Brak Diabloii.Net Member

If I had to rank difficulty by class, I'd probably say:

Necro
    Sorc>Sin>Zon (arguable order here)
    Barb>Pali (again arguable order)

10. kstuart

I'm assuming thats easiest first ;)

@Dezrok i shall perhaps ponder what the hell skills a pally could use to be 'safe' and see how it goes. I see a flaw being that to boost resists via salvation means no offensive aura adding holy freeze cold damage or similar. Not to mention salvation does not do poison resists.

11. Brak

Brak Diabloii.Net Member

Cleansing gets you effective poison res. And you wouldnt need Salvation running at all times just with elemental foes around.

If it were me, I'd make a weakened Hammerdin, so you can handle PIs, that runs as a Cleric/Walking Source of Fanataciscm(or Concentration to go with BH) for your merc at all other times. Also drop some points in Vigor for getting yourself out of trouble and Redemption for corpse disposal. If you're going to run Conc, you could go with a Holy Freeze merc instead of Might. Or maybe even a Barb if you get the right drops since they are more sturdy and have better AI.

12. kstuart

Yeah was leaning towards some sorta hammer dude being its probably the only useful offensive skill a pally has when naked. Vigor would be there anyway being its a synergy to BH. The conc hammer boost only works when actually using concentration right? If so i guess a hammerdin without concentration and using fanatacism instead to boost merc would work. I foresee paying little attention at a meeting on wed as i'll be too busy working out how to design a naked pally.

13. Dezrok

Dezrok Diabloii.Net Member

My idea for a naked Pally is max FoH, Holy Bolt, Holy Shock and Conviction. A few points in Salvation, just enough to be able to keep resists positive. Conviction to keep the number of LI monsters to a minimum. Mana will be a problem, but not much more so than for a Hammerdin - 25pts per cast for FoH, 10pts per cast for lvl 20 Hammers - an Insight merc will be more than useful for either. Antidote potions are there to deal with poison. A very, very slow start and the complete absence of crowd control are going to be major issues.

With hammers I worry about the need to get into the right position to make the hammers hit anything. That means I wouldn't be focused on being in the right position to avoid damage. With no armour and low resists that is likely to be a fatal problem. Also, unless you put points into Energy (which means lower life) you are going to end up with 135 mana at level 80 ... that's not a lot of hammers, and not all of them are going to hit.

But yeah, the naked Paladin is a nice problem to work out, with no obvious solutions.

14. Brak

Brak Diabloii.Net Member

I personally wouldnt try killing things myself. I would only get BH because it is so effective against immunes, and that is a big headache for Single pass clears of any kind. Add in the possible dangers of being in the fray, and dropping your MF to 0, and I just dont find it worthwhile.

But now that you mention Conviction, if you have the spare points, it might be worth getting to override Conviction enchanted bosses.

15. kstuart

with a naked build i assumed that for those who would need mana you can afford to spend some of your stat points on energy to boost mana up a bit. That and a insight merc.

16. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

I only read this now. Very cool. Good luck.

17. Brak

Brak Diabloii.Net Member

no, you will want all the life you can get, especially wiht a squishy Paladin

Merc will most likely be using Insight anyway, as youre very unlikely to find a higher damage weapon

18. Southpaw8668

Southpaw8668 Diabloii.Net Member

Good luck with Peter, I'll be Howling for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  19. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

O yes, what I forgot to say: I'll be following this thread with particular interest because ... let's say my parents liked the name a lot too ;).

20. Brak

Brak Diabloii.Net Member

The only thing Peter remembers after arriving in Lut Gholein is heat. Constant and oppressive heat. He was so happy to be free of the bonds of heavy armor many other adventurers had to endure seeking their fortune, fame and revenge. His first task upon his arrival in the new land was to find a new companion. It seemed as though Divo was often distracted, likely by his nakedness, and would often stand in the corner unaware of danger lurking nearby. With a promise of gold, Peter convinced the healer Vikhyat to join him. Together they first scoured many ancient tombs to find the Horadric cube. Peter had saved all of his diamonds, and used them to fashion many powerful weapons to suit Vikhyat. With this powerful arsenal they easily avenged ATMA, retreived the pieces of the Horadric Staff and ventured into the Summoner's twisted realm, killed him and gained passage to the Canyon of the Magi. In one of the false tombs, Peter began to question his life choices. Is he really wielding a weapon if he never swings it? Is carving up a corpse to find hidden magical goods an act of aggression? He decided he wouldn't use the sacred dagger, but would keep it should someone else find it valuable.

During the fight with Duriel, Peter proved more useful than against Andariel. He had learned new ways to fluster and distract his opponents through harsh screams. He also stood behind Vikhyat and helped him brace against Duriel's attacks preventing him from being knocked back. In the end, the monster delivered not much of import.

Don't remember much of this Act, but it was rather tedious in the sewers since the skellies can only be Itemed and not Potioned, it was difficult to maintain mana consumption. I also had to roll a ton of Polearms because I kept getting Exceptional ones that the merc couldnt use for ages. Although I wasn't really Leaping much yet, Act II also houses the biggest threat to leaping, Scarabs. Don't want to let loose on a room full of those guys. You can also note the amazing life total for Act II normal. Man all Vit is awesome on barbs.

Hookipa, Dezrok, Pb_pal and 2 others like this.