Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Do you think your class choice will change if you get a chance at the beta?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Stewie, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Stewie

Stewie IncGamers Member

Do you think your class choice will change if you get a chance at the beta?

I assume most, if not all, know which class they are going to choose right out of the gate. Barring any major flaws, if any, do you think once you see some of the other classes abilities/spell effects that you may change your mind?

It seems the more I see the monk and the abilities he has, I seem to want to stray from the Barbarian, which is my first choice. The more I see the "flashiness" and the abilities in general, the more I sway from side to side trying to figure out which one I may end up picking.

I'm sure once the beta comes out and we all get a taste of what it will be like to play our favorite class as of now, a lot of us may change our minds!

2. Tidolwav

Tidolwav IncGamers Member

Re: Do you think your class choice will change if you get a chance at the beta?

I won't get a chance at Beta, because I have nothing to bring to Blizzard, plus I'm not trying to get it! But, on that note, I will definitely try out all the classes once the game comes out. Picking the least used class sounds more favorable then picking the class everyone is going to use... Then again, I like games that most people hate...

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

impossible for me to change my first class since its my first. i have not picked a main yet since i have not played the game. i will eventually max them all out anyway

4. Cornskin

Cornskin IncGamers Member

I plan on starting with a barbarian when the game actually launches, but if i got in beta i'd probably start with wizard or monk. Dont know why, but i just know i'd want to start as something different.

5. Stewie

Stewie IncGamers Member

Lol, you never know, you might get lucky! I don't have any beta testing experience with Blizzard, but if they do incorporate at least some random beta testers, I hope I'm one of the lucky ones!

Yeah true, but in order to max them all out won't you have to delete one eventually? I thought there were only going to be 4 character slots available, or am I confusing the room limit with character slots?

Seems like a lot are starting with the Barbarian. I guess starting with the Barbarian is as close to "old school" as you can get since it's the only returning class. I agree on your last statement, though. Sometimes playing the most non-played or different class can be the most fun.

6. Apocalypse

not sure where you got that from but its not true. they said they will allow us many character slots and our characters will not get deleted for being inactive anymore

7. Stewie

Stewie IncGamers Member

I think I just misinterpreted something that I read. I'm sure they were talking about how many people in a party rather than how many character slots. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

That's awesome they won't be deleted for inactivity!

8. Flux

Flux Administrator

I have not at all decided, and I've played all of them at every blizzcon. So it surprises me that people who haven't played at all have certain choices made? That might be one of those situations where knowing too much makes it harder to select an option?

My goals differ from those of other fans, though. My first char in the full game is going to be all about playing through normal as quickly as possible in order to harvest screenshots and game info for site updates. Thus it's not really about which class I think will be my favorite, or what I'm planning to play long term.

All we've heard about how easy normal is meant to be is making me think this will be a slightly less consequential decision, but at this point I'll probably pick whichever char seems the most OP as of the beta. I'm leaning Monk at this point, with WD as my 2nd choice, while if I were going on purely on "how I like to play" I'd probably have the wiz or DH first.

Barb is definitely my last choice; I get bored with the limited melee style at low levels, and tend to only enjoy barbs once they're into NM and starting to come into their own with a variety of higher tier skills.

9. JaMonk

JaMonk IncGamers Member

I'm making a monk right out of the gate, and getting him maxed out and G'd up from the feet up, he will be the unbeatable.

Then, when I get bored, I'll make a witch doctor.

Little to no interest in the other 3 classes right now

10. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Spellcaster fanboy for life, yo!

Common, Flux. At least do yourself a favor and spend your first playthrough on enjoying the game to its fullest.

11. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

Since I haven't got my choice fully nailed down yet I'd say it's fairly likely to change. Right now I think I'll go with the wizard but maybe she'll be underpowered and die all the time. The demon hunter has some pretty cool moves of her own. It's a wait and see thing.

Even if I don't get into the beta I assume the info we get out of it will help change my mind.

12. Apocalypse

just realized i didnt answer the question asked. if i make beta there is a good chance that my first release char will be different than what i am picking now. however i dont expect to make beta so thats why i went with the original answer

13. djxput

djxput IncGamers Member

Well my main interest is the barb - but Ill be checking out the witch doctor and the monk also ... and if one of these catch my fancy then Ill be playing them much more.

Quite curious about the witch doctor - looks like it could be a fun character - eg perhaps more dynamic then the necro was. Not sure I could get into the other 2 - ranged peeps.
    Have to see thou.

14. elganame

elganame IncGamers Member

I have my names picked an as soon the game comes out i will create all of them.
    Its most probably that i will play a barb but could change my mind after some beta streaming and choose a wiz. The wizard has some crazy skills...but i like to be IN the fight and hit, a melee wizard would be awesome.

The rest of the classes will have to wait.

15. Stewie

Stewie IncGamers Member

You guys who haven't decided what you will be make some good points. In all honesty I may end up with something I didn't even want to play. The least likely to me right now in the DH, but who knows. The game itself just looks a lot better and I have high expectations so I'm all antsy about getting to play it, eventually.

I may be able to make up my mind once I see each classes play-through, but even then it's not the whole game and I'm sure not every skill.

16. terrrrrible

terrrrrible IncGamers Member

Nah, probably not. I may try all the classes in beta, just to screw around, but I know that I'll be playing a Wizard on day 1 that the game launches. I'll play the crap out of that until it's geared out and there's not much more for me to do with it, then I'll go and try one of the other classes. I've never been one for alts, always stuck with one character.

17. Flux

Flux Administrator

I has a job priorities. Also, I think the "enjoying to the fullest" is more of an option for people who haven't played at all. I've already played like 20+ hours of D3 at blizzcons, and I'm certainly hoping to get a lot more play testing during the beta. So by the release I'll be familiar with all of the chars and act one and the game systems, etc. Thus it's not really the "losing my virginity" moment with the final game.

That said, Act 2-4 (aside from some familiarity with the desert from blizzcon 2009 demo) will be entirely new and interesting and exciting, and all of the plot, and seeing all the higher level skills/runes, etc. Even as much as blizzcon/beta players have seen, the full game will have vastly more than anyone outside of bliz has touched at this point. (Which was not the case with D2, where I'd played through all of act 1-2 and almost all of 3 pre-launch.)

18. Grumpy Old Wizard

Grumpy Old Wizard IncGamers Member

I will likely be starting with a wizard and playing through the single player game before giving any thought to battlenet. But I may start with a witch doctor instead.

19. Stewie

Stewie IncGamers Member

Why's that? You won't be able to trade for anything you need and there are no more PKs.

20. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

Good question. As you can tell by my avatar, the Barb is my favorite class from D2, and all I have seen makes me want to play the class in D3. That said...

My WoW main for the last 5 years has been a Mage. I am not a world beater, but I am very knowledgeable about the class and the Wizard shares many Mage traits, and skills (like Mirror Image)...so that may be comfortable as well...

I was a Cataclysm Beta tester, and you can be assured I had an agenda; I wanted to do my very best as a tester in the hopes that I would be flagged as a good contributor, and thus increasing my chances for a D3 invite as well. I of course hold no illusions that that holds any water, or if I was a "good contributor", but it is always good to have goals.

If they follow the pattern of the Cata beta, they will do periodic announcements asking for specific types of feedback (they never dismissed or discouraged ANY feedback though) on the beta forums (which will be exclusive to the testers), so you might see them ask for, say, how Witch Doctors are handling certain areas, or how x class' resource system is holding up at certain levels. So if I get in, I will keep some flexibility to help in that way.