Do you think religion can be likened to martial arts? ifra

raffster

Diabloii.Net Member
Do you think religion can be likened to martial arts?

I've come to conclude in my experience with several of the world's major religions (Christianity --Catholic to born again and back--, Buddhism, Taoism, Transcendental Meditation, Hare Krishna, Hinduism) that no one single group "holds" the Supreme Truth (however you define Supreme Truth). I have come to this conclusion based on my many long years into the martial arts, learning a variety of styles and techniques: No single martial art can ever claim superior to another.

I find that the best martial artist is one who is able to engage any opponent in almost any situation. A combination of good stand up skills, take down and ground fighting will prove most effective in a mixed martial arts fight, for example.

I'm not suggesting that those who have found the Supreme Truth in their faith is wrong in claiming that they're the only ones who are right -- but is it really that necessary to prove that everyone else is wrong? I dunno. I feel that some of these religious extremists should do some martial arts to incorporate into their beliefs systems.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm not suggesting that those who have found the Supreme Truth in their faith is wrong in claiming that they're the only ones who are right
Most of them have to be wrong, though. If there are ten guys in a room shouting "I'm the only one who's right!" then the only options are:
* nine of them are lying
* ten of them are lying

Your idea is interesting. I wouldn't take the competitive angle, talking about martial arts as a way to win a fight against someone and be ready for any attack; I think true martial arts are more about mastering yourself, and you can argue that a guy who did that through judo has the same end goal as a guy who did so through taekwondo, etc. In the realm of religion, when you have progressive interfaith get-togethers this is usually the tack they take: we're all heading toward one final truth, we're just traveling on different roads. These groups don't get a lot of participation from the guys shouting in that room up there, though.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Except for those people who don't believe in truths, or that getting to them is the objective, or that don't believe in traveling on roads, or whose truth is immutably different from the others'.

WildBerry

Diabloii.Net Member
Your idea is interesting. I wouldn't take the competitive angle, talking about martial arts as a way to win a fight against someone and be ready for any attack; I think true martial arts are more about mastering yourself, and you can argue that a guy who did that through judo has the same end goal as a guy who did so through taekwondo, etc. In the realm of religion, when you have progressive interfaith get-togethers this is usually the tack they take: we're all heading toward one final truth, we're just traveling on different roads. These groups don't get a lot of participation from the guys shouting in that room up there, though.
My writing skills want to have your child.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Um, OK, but shouldn't your writing skills at least take me out to dinner or something first? This is all so sudden.

WildBerry

Diabloii.Net Member
Um, OK, but shouldn't your writing skills at least take me out to dinner or something first? This is all so sudden.
My writing skills are not interested in a prolonged relationship with your skills. They have gotten into trouble with the local fertility clinique and are looking for a natural solution so my writing skills and their female writing skills companion can live a two-mom-writing-skill-family happily ever after. Just work your magic, big boy, and get it over with.

All kidding aside, I genuinely think your profession as a modern-day man of the robe (not referring to the clergy, but the intelligentsia) shows. Even in something so menial as addressing a metaphor on a forum concentrating not talking about an old video game. Though I will hardly ever be making my living off a pen, I wouldn't mind having your suave.

EDT: For the purposes of this thread, that avatar is golden.

Ariadne

Diabloii.Net Member
Except for those people who don't believe in truths, or that getting to them is the objective, or that don't believe in traveling on roads, or whose truth is immutably different from the others'.
Truth is an individual thing....what is true for me, isn't necessarely true for someone else.

Ariadne

Diabloii.Net Member
Then it's not truth, it's just something that happens to apply to you.
Nope :wink: All other varieties imply ego. "I'm right, because...", and the moment you say that you basically say someone else is wrong....and who are you to be the one who's right?

Talga Vasternich

Diabloii.Net Member
Merick said:
Then it's not truth, it's just something that happens to apply to you.
It is still truth.
It may not be a "universal" truth, but it is a personal truth.
I can believe something is true, while someone else believes it is not. That does not make me wrong, nor does it make them wrong. The disagreements start when you start looking to make someone wrong because you say you are right and that only your "truth" applies.

Vivi said:
That is what I tried to say, kinda.:girly:
You said it better. I just used more words.

Besides....you're wrong. :evil:

Ariadne

Diabloii.Net Member
It is still truth.
I can believe something is true, while someone else believes it is not. That does not make me wrong, nor does it make them wrong. The disagreements start when you start looking to make someone wrong because you say you are right and that only your "truth" applies.
That is what I tried to say, kinda.:girly:

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
@ raffster:

I understand your premise behind the analogy, and although I don't completely agree, I do feel that it's valuable. I don't want to engage in debate with you about that premise.

However, the one part of your analogy I don't think I buy is viewing religions as a fight or some sort of competition. I know some people do think of it that way - so maybe my beef isn't with your analogy, but rather with the people who view religions as a fight.

Either way, it's my two cents worth.

WildBerry

Diabloii.Net Member
However, the one part of your analogy I don't think I buy is viewing religions as a fight or some sort of competition. I know some people do think of it that way - so maybe my beef isn't with your analogy, but rather with the people who view religions as a fight.
If you didn't like it, then you didn't - but raffster's analogy reinforced by Durf's comment, which went along the line of "martial arts are about triumphing over yourself", then there, in a manner of speech, there is a competition or a fight - against yourself.

Damn that man is smart.

Ariadne

Diabloii.Net Member
It is still truth.

You said it better. I just used more words.

Besides....you're wrong. :evil:
:laughing: then you are wrong too!
:wink2: