Do you have connections

I'm half Italian and my great grandparents were in the mafia way back when.

Oh and one of my friends' great grandpa is the inventor of the lava lamp, but that doesn't get me anywhere.

tintrail

Diabloii.Net Member
DurfBarian said:
I'm a Japanese-to-English translator and English editor at a publishing company in Tokyo. We do a lot of work for government agencies and for companies, creating content for websites and preparing pamphlets and magazines and books and stuff for publication.

Mostly I spend my days translating, checking other people's translations, and posting here . . . Every once in a while I have consulting work and I go out and talk with people who wear suits that cost more than the new computer I want. Then after work I go and teach a few classes a week to boot (English conversation and a translation course).
sweet, sounds like a cool enough job, and now i know what you do =). the computer looks very sick, from an aesthetic point of view. i don't know much about computers, and have personally never had to really use a mac, so i couldnt say i know how nice the one you want is. it sucks that people wear suits as or more expensive than it though... 1700+ bucks on one suit.. geebus

my italian teacher has connections with the mafia. he was telling us a story in class one day about how he needed money to buy a house, but instead of going to the bank where they would charge interest etc, he went and talked to his local don, and got hooked up. =)...

of course he tried to play it off like it was nothing, but we all know he is hooked up with the mafia and probably had to carry out some jobs for the mafia in return.. hehe

Alex_Str

Banned
Friend is manager of an AT&T store, so I get some free ringtones and such...no mafia extraterestrial crap like you people (who are probably lying/over-exagerating anyway)

nnndave

Diabloii.Net Member
As far as getting bootleg games, movies, stuff like that, I got the hookup.

as far as the real world, hopefully I'll have more in 4 years when it matters.

tintrail

Diabloii.Net Member
Alex_Str said:
Friend is manager of an AT&T store, so I get some free ringtones and such...no mafia extraterestrial crap like you people (who are probably lying/over-exagerating anyway)
hahaha, this bit had me falling outta my chair, and as regards my teacher, it is a true story.

SomeCanadianGuy

Diabloii.Net Member
I enjoy having certain connections.

I'm lucky and I'm part of one of the best student government's I could possibly imagine. Free on-campus parking, free passes to movie premiers in town, early registration for all my courses, other little extras around school and such. And those are just the "official" connections within school. I've got a few friends that come from the slightly shadier parts of town, so when it comes to somewhat less than legal enterprisings, I know who to go to... 'Tis great, this life, sometimes...

My_Immortal6

Diabloii.Net Member
I get awesome deals on any musical equipment at Guitar Central because my band knows the guy that works their. I also get strings and leads for cheap, and free set ups.

tydon

Diabloii.Net Member
Lets see:

I can get a job basically anywhere in the construction industry simply because of my last name, and its reputation.

I get free motorcycle repairs.

I get alot more I dont really want to mention online......simply because they legalicy is questionable...

Alex_Str

Banned
tydon said:
I get alot more I dont really want to mention online......simply because they legalicy is questionable...
Mommy slips you a few extra chocolate chip cookies at dinner? The LEGALITY of that is just fine methinks

llad12

Diabloii.Net Member
Some time ago, I had worked under an older geologist for a couple of years. We, subsequently, went our own ways and ended up with other companies. Years later, I called him about some information on an area I was working. We exchanged pleasantries and information. Two days later, he called me and said that he was retiring and would recommend me for his position in his firm.

I accepted his recommendation, applied, and was hired. Today, I am part owner of that company.

The acquaintances, friends, and colleagues that you make today can make a difference in your life tomorrow.

Choose wisely

zelfmoordis

Diabloii.Net Member
Alex_Str said:
Mommy slips you a few extra chocolate chip cookies at dinner? The LEGALITY of that is just fine methinks
if you are not going to believe what people write what are you doing on a forum?

for myself my connections go as "far" as:

*discount prices in gamesstore because I know the owner
*Cheaper beer in the pub because I know the owner

thats about it :)

:wave:

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
Corneo said:
I think this will make an interesting topic. Have many of you guys have gotten special treatment because you guys knew a person who knew a person. That is have you ever used your connections to get somthing?

I myself haven't been blessed with this too much in my life. Except for today, I was scheduled on the last day of class registration to register for class next quarter. Partly because I am a first year student and I don't have quite many units under my belt. I saw that one of my favorite professor was going to be teaching a class I will be required to take. I knew his class would quickly be filled up by other students and there would be no way in hell I could get into his class next quarter. I happen to run into him today and made some small talk. He asked if I was going to be in his class next year (he knows me by name, thats 1 person out of 500 people he taught last quarter!). I replied that it would be a very slim chance that there was an opening in his class by the time I can register. Then he looked at me and told me he could get me into his class. He apparently has the power to add people to his class. I was amazed, here is a well known professor offering to help me register into his class. You can tell I was very happy after that.

my friend was just telling me he tried the exact same thing and it didn't work, sucks to be him

caddad

Diabloii.Net Member
I think you are foolish not to use your connections. They are there for a reason, most likely because either A) The person is willing to stick their neck out for you, or B) You've proven yourself a qualified candidate.

The world works on connections whether you like it or not. I have and will continue to use connections for things, but they don't do everything for you unless you are related.

A good connection can get you the job of your dreams, but it is still up to you to stay employed and prove to yourself really, that you deserve to be there.

Just my opinion.

-D2netDad

Corneo

Diabloii.Net Member
Ash Housewares said:
my friend was just telling me he tried the exact same thing and it didn't work, sucks to be him
To be honest Ash, the idea of asking my professor to let me into his class didn't even occur in my mind. I was just making small talk and he offer to do it for me. I accepted it because I really wanted to be in his class.

LunarSolaris

Diabloii.Net Member
I very much agree with what llad12, d2netdad, and others have said in that having good connections is essential. For any of you that are younger, I highly encourage you to make as many connections as you can... you never know when it might benefit you down the road. This especiallys applies to making good employment connections where you might get an excellent reference from someone that gets you the job that your'e wanting.

For myself, being here in Yakima for the past 5 years has netted me quite a few connections in the field of social services. Because Yakima is smaller in size, the social services community is smaller - and getting jobs isn't so much about what you know (it is important, but not the main thing), but who you know. I have my current job in part because my best friend is a case manager here and pulled for me when I applied. I obtained my job with CPS due to connections I made while still in school (at least in part).

My sister works in human resources for the City of Seattle, so that could well play in for me in the future.

Smeg Head

Diabloii.Net Member
I have pretty good connections with the city council. It's the only way I've kept my inlaws from getting in trouble for violating building codes.

And I'm on good terms with Sen. Craig and can get through to Gov. Kempthorne easier than most.

And through various businesses I can get building materials at cost.

And I'm friendly with a very influential judge. Albiet he's in Pocatello, but neverless...

The few others are all military and you don't need to know details.

tydon

Diabloii.Net Member
Bah, connections in seattle never hold anything, they move through people like butter....

I think it is a very good asset to have connections, but to use them unless you truly need them is acting on borrowed time. If you take things that you might need in the future when you dont need them, then its possible that you might end up screwing yourself in the future. Like for Smeg, lets say he used his terms with the senator to help a iniative get support that he didnt really support, and smeg didnt really support 100%, then one comes along that smeg really wants, and now, asking for another favor via connection would be rude, and most likely, not work.

NaderN

Diabloii.Net Member
My dad knows the guy who donated $105 Million to McMaster University (In Hamilton, Ontario, Canada) medical school, so if I apply, I'll have quite a reference :)