Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Do you have connections

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Corneo, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Do you have connections

I think this will make an interesting topic. Have many of you guys have gotten special treatment because you guys knew a person who knew a person. That is have you ever used your connections to get somthing?

I myself haven't been blessed with this too much in my life. Except for today, I was scheduled on the last day of class registration to register for class next quarter. Partly because I am a first year student and I don't have quite many units under my belt. I saw that one of my favorite professor was going to be teaching a class I will be required to take. I knew his class would quickly be filled up by other students and there would be no way in hell I could get into his class next quarter. I happen to run into him today and made some small talk. He asked if I was going to be in his class next year (he knows me by name, thats 1 person out of 500 people he taught last quarter!). I replied that it would be a very slim chance that there was an opening in his class by the time I can register. Then he looked at me and told me he could get me into his class. He apparently has the power to add people to his class. I was amazed, here is a well known professor offering to help me register into his class. You can tell I was very happy after that.

2. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

Well i know the sister and brother of NHLer Jasson Spezza, but i doubt that would get me anywhere...

3. Chief JB

Chief JB IncGamers Member

Only connections I can think of off the top of my head are from friends working at various fast food restaurants, and stores.

4. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Through my job I know a lot of pretty powerful people, but I haven't got much out of those connections except for work for my company and interesting conversation for me personally. If I quit this job and go freelance I think I will be contacting them all and tryig to keep those work channels open so I can get paid directly for the work I can do for them, but that hasn't happened yet.

5. tintrail

tintrail IncGamers Member

hmm i don't mean to pry, but i have always wondered what it is you do durf... if you wouldn't mind telling me :teeth:

6. Technetium

Technetium IncGamers Member

I wish I had connections of the Italian Mafia variety. But I'm not Italian, so I don't think that would work very well. Would be hella cool, though.

7. Chief JB

Chief JB IncGamers Member

I'm half Italian. My Grandpa must have been in the Mafia.

8. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

I'm in the Polish mafia, I run the kielbasa cartel.

9. DurfBarian

I'm a Japanese-to-English translator and English editor at a publishing company in Tokyo. We do a lot of work for government agencies and for companies, creating content for websites and preparing pamphlets and magazines and books and stuff for publication.

Mostly I spend my days translating, checking other people's translations, and posting here . . . Every once in a while I have consulting work and I go out and talk with people who wear suits that cost more than the new computer I want. Then after work I go and teach a few classes a week to boot (English conversation and a translation course).

10. th5418

th5418 Banned

Wow, can a suit cost more than 1700?

11. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

I have a few high-level connections in aviation. Generally, through them I can fly anywhere for free, whenever I want. I can bring people with me too.

12. DurfBarian

Actually I meant the dual 2GHz machine . . . there are suits out there that cost $4,000 and up, easily, and the president of a Japanese car company can usually afford one or two of them. :teeth:

13. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Wow, you got friends in high places Durf.

14. piff

piff IncGamers Member

I actually do have connections with the Pittsburgh mafia if I ever need them. Which is unlikely, because I then must return a favor. But I have them.

15. DurfBarian

"Your cousin Vinnie, he sleeps with the braunschweiger"

16. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Arent you like 12?

I have connections that allow me to never wait in line. For anything.

17. Sp4rtacus

Sp4rtacus IncGamers Member

i got the hookup at a movie theater around here...and i know some liquid illegal substance people...and some small weapons people....my grandpa "knows" everyone a few towns away, all you gotst to say is that ur his grandson...oh your his grandson, well, step right in there is a table in the back for you and your friends.

18. piff

piff IncGamers Member

16...my mom's side of the family has been connected with the mafia since they came over from Europe. My mom and her parents (well, her dad, as her mom is dead) are not part of the mafia, but my grandparent's brothers and sisters and some of their kids are.

19. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

As a member of the military police? Yeah, I get plenty of special treatment.

20. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

I've got the hookup in the action sports scene. My brother in law used to be the Editor in Chief at Transworld SNOWBoarding, and knows buttloads of pro athletes. His dad owned (but retired) DC shoes. My sister works at Clive Backpacks, and has connections invading the entire action sports fashion scene.

I get lots of free stuff. :)