Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Do you guys think looks are important when it comes to single player?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by diablo loves donutz, Sep 6, 2006.

1. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

Do you guys think looks are important when it comes to single player?

Hi guys. Well, I was running cows in NM with my hammerdin to find stuff for my barb, when I came across 2 2socketed armors I'd like to make stealth's for my barb. One was a cuirass with 200 def and the other was a full plate mail, but with only 159 defense. So my question it this, do you think looks matter when it comes to single player? I know for most chars, it wouldn't make a difference, but not only do I want my barb to kill faster and live longer, but I want him to look cooler as well. I'm leaning towards the plate mail for it's sexyness and not to mention, I'm still only lvl 27 so my skills to add+ to def and enh def hasn't really gotten invested to well yet, and not to mention this armor will just be temporary...so what's your guys' take on this?

-Donutz

2. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

Like Real Life, Beauty is King.

3. SiTro

SiTro IncGamers Member

What kind of barb? Anyway, Stealth isn't the kind of runeword that'll punish you massively for a defense difference of 40. I would go for the one I preferred the looks of to be honest.

Especially when you're fairly low level and it's only temporary anyway.

4. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

If it looks cool to you, use it.

Personally, I like the look of sacred armour, and it's younger brothers. I know archon plate only needs a strength of 103, compared to sacred's 232, yet sacred armour has something like 80 more defense. But for PvM, where I go for gimmick and style builds mainly, yes, looks are everything.

5. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I agree with Frost Burn. Ignore which one would be more useful, and always go with what looks better, just like in real life. It's what outside that counts in this world, not what's on the inside.

- Noodle

6. diablo loves donutz

Yes I was planning on going for looks...although now I've found a sexier, and much better defense sharktooth armor with 2 socs to wear. Yea neumein, I'd love to find an anceint armor or saced armor to use, that would be sweet.

7. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

Man I hate barbs in breast plates!!!

In SC I won't let my barbs touch them.

Try putting the entire IK set on a barb and then substituting a breast plate. "Immortal Savage" not Immortal King.

8. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

Fluff, come on man.

Real men wear kilts and are not afraid to flaunt it. Plus, when you leap attack with a kilt on, you catch a nice breeze, if you know what I mean. :p

9. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Plus all of the monsters that are looking up at you are more likely to be stunned in horror.

For end-game I tend to go for stats, but early/mid-game is a different story - there it's whatever I find first.

10. diablo loves donutz

I think I might have to start a fashion show thread and you can only post sexy char pics, and I think me....uhh...frost....and like neumein can be judges and pic the best ones, what do you guys think of that?

11. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

(said in a stereotype 'gay' voice)

I would love to be a fashion critic. I'm so excited!

(end of 'gay' voice)

*awkward silence*
    /runaway

No, seriously though, I like the idea very much. I could put together a little prize pack for the best looking character too, to give people a little more incentive (apart from the obvious bragging rights). There could be a little offshoot competition too, where people posted shots of their most horrendous looking characters.

I reckon I could win the 'ugly' contest, with my javelin / barb. He has an assault helmet, socketed with an emerald, making it green. He is wearing rattlecage armour, which is purple. His shield is the bverrit keep tower shield, which is light blue. And to top it off, I have a rare throwing spear, which has a load of fire damage, making it red. Yuck. But he works.

12. diablo loves donutz

Nice hahaha :rolleyes:

Yea, good idea, that does sound very cool. Well there are still a few things I'd have to workout before I'd make the thread. One, is I need to see if frost would like do to this too, 3 judges is always perfect, and also work out a prize package system as some incentive. I've got a few things I can throw In their as well. I just gotta work some things out first.

Edit-Argh.....I think frost like hit the hay or something, I think I saw that in a previous post of his. We might have to wait untill tommorow, or if you want you and me can just judge it and make all the rules, what would you like to do?

13. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

edit: delayed double post? WTFork?

Alright, I personally think we need three judges, mate. You have to have the guy no one likes, but says funny things (me.), you need the guy who knows what he's talking about (you.) and you need the lady (frost.) :p

As for prizes, I've got a Stone of Jordan laying around on one of my mules... I have a dwarf star... I've got a nice life leach rare... some paladin amulets, I'll have a look through my stashes tonight, and let ya know what I come up with.

14. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

I made Prudence (my highest ever runeword) in a Dusk Shroud, just because I think it looks the best on a wide range of characters. I give myself some excuse about strength requirements, but deep down I know the truth. :grin:

15. diablo loves donutz

So pretty much...Your the simon cowell, I'm the randy jackson, and frost is paula...ok, i think that could work :)

Yea some prize stashes could really get some motivation and some incentives. We could maybe have different competitions for best classes, best and worst dressed, all kinds of different competitions, and an overall one of course.

Haha, I'm just gunna be thinking about this all throughout tommorow. I'm just picturing you tearing some guy's pics to shreads, while I try to calm you down and frost saying their magnificent hahaha.

16. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

I reckon my best looking character is my 'dark elf' druid. He wears sharktooth armour, socketed with a flawless ruby (it goes blood red, and looks *awesome*) He also has some random rare antlers, which have a high end +life mod (of the colossus, I think, once again it goes blood red and looks awesome) I am also wielding a massive damage rare shadow bow (which is black). I have maxed out raven, and maxed out heart of the wolverine. And to add to all that, my merc (act 1 rogue) fires explosive arrows....

I think I might just have to sign up under a different name and enter the competition... Just kidding :p

I think my mum has a nice floral print dress that Frost could borrow too...
    XP

17. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

Oh could be very fun! I have this one character... nor really I only have one character.

18. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

The Fashion Tourney ... Interesting. :thumbsup:

Can I suggest a "worst photo shoot" moment? You know "looking lovely in the daring dusk shroud with matching circlet, when "oh no, attacked by a marauding group of monsters who TOTALLY clashed with my outfit". :cry:

You might want to consider an age category; it's probably easier to make older characters look much/better purely because of the items they have access to.

And ban the glowy sets (IK/Tals etc) or it's a fairly short contest.

More 2p available without request. :rolleyes:

19. Black Rat

Black Rat IncGamers Member

I would definatley be interested in this tourney..... ive had my armor for enigma (god willing) picked out for the past year...... it took me 2 hours to check what every armor in the game looked like on a paladin before i finally decieded and found the armor..... now all i have to do is play 40 hours a week for the next decade so i can find all the runes :p

20. Sir Dante

Sir Dante IncGamers Member

A Paladin wearing Templar's Might, Vampire Gaze, a Vortex Shield socketed with an Emerald, and a Flail socketed with an Emerald; with the Conviction Aura Active, dropping FOH's on monsters, is the best looking, coolest character in the game.

In this set up Vampire Gaze and Templar's Might go from ugly, non matching Green items, that clash with your wardrobe, to true things of beauty.