Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Do you guys "hate" us or are "disgusted" by us?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by diablo loves donutz, Sep 5, 2006.

1. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

Do you guys "hate" us or are "disgusted" by us?

Hi guys, I was just sitting here thinking to myself about something. I'm currently very excited about getting a passion from neumein from the giveaway thread and I'm also very happy about that metalgrid frost gave me, thanks again btw frost, but here's my question. Do any of you guys look at us with disgust, or look at us and think of us as poor or cheap? I mean, I guess I could call myself rich on bnet, but who cares...I mean this is the sp forums so that means nothing here lol. I was just wondering because I sort of feel embarassed at times when I go to the giveaway thread and see something I direly want, but am afraid to ask for it, especially if you ask for something from one person, then 5 minutes later from another. I guess I sort of just wanted your guys' take on it,

-Donutz

2. JihadJesus

JihadJesus IncGamers Member

Nope. We all started with nothing. And some of us (*cough*me*cough*) were TERRIBLE at this game before we showed up here - no idea what a MF run was, no idea how to make a proper build, constantly trying to slog through NM with some random magic sword on a barb with 150 energy at lvl 50. When I got here, ANYTHING with a golden name seemed impressive to me. It'll get better.

3. Hoop76

Hoop76 IncGamers Member

No, thats the whole reason people give stuff away in the giveaway. If they thought that about the people that got the items, they wouldnt give the items in the first place.

4. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

Well by no means would I consider myself a nooblit, but when considering sp and the gear I got yea you could call me one. I mean, I know the drill on every build and all the gear and runewords, only prob is that when I jumped to sp it's like starting from scratch, but that's always fun. Yea, right now I'm using my 81 hammerdin to mf some stuff, and I've gotten some decent gear, although I've been doing NM due to if it were hell, my killing spped would decrease and drops would be so high, it'd take a while for my barb to lvl to that point. Btw my goal lvl wise for my barb is 81 as well...you can relate frost :)

But yea, I really love that giveaway, thread...it sorta feels like a guilty pleasure, I'm sure the majority of my gear will be self found though, this is just excellent gear to help me along the way.

Oh, and thanks too jihad and hoop

5. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

No way man, what goes around comes around.

I have had fun with that 'passion' sword, but I have moved on. I remember using the sword, whirling through crowds, and generally meeting evil head on. That was fun, but there is also fun to be had knowing that someone will get the same enjoyment out of it.

6. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

@ diablo loves donutz

giving away runewords in the giveaway thread is against the forum rules, but give me your email, and we will conduct our business in private

7. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I hate you and am disgusted by you!

Now, what it is we're talking about in this thread?

8. salvo

salvo IncGamers Member

Both not true, we like it when there are someone come to take the giveaway items. But we do disgust if someone pick items in a very greedy shape.

edit: Durf! howdy! it's been quite a while since your last spam here at SPF, we need more of your posts(spam) really :lol:
    Keep your effort 'till you can match ashhousewares post count (20k). Goodluck

-sal

9. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty IncGamers Member

You'll get there. I was a relative n00b (and am still fairly poor), but at least you can get a nice headstart before you start finding nice gear yourself. The trick is that many items you'll only really be interested in picking up once. You pick up your first M'Avina's Embrace, then, in the next six months, you pick up another two, which you don't need. Anyone rich enough to trade seriously already has one. So what do you do? You give them away.

10. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

If people are giving items away, they are probably just pleased to see someone appreciate it. :wink3:

(Personally, I still don´t understand why you would want to give an item to a character that another character has found (be it your character or somebody else´s). The way I see it, each SP character has its own "universe". They would never meet, and neither would their items.

Giving stuff to a character from outside sources would spoil a lot of the fun for me. To each their own, of course. For many players, giving them stuff other characters have found seems to make the game more fun for them. I am curious about this difference.

So on one hand I am really poor because each character has only their starting gear to start with but on the other hand I consider myself very rich, because I am perfectly happy to play with what I find (and craft, gamble, shop or imbue). Am I in the minority in this?)

11. zarfen

zarfen IncGamers Member

I might be one of the biggest giveaway beggers ever.. at least since I came to spf, however I dont enjoy those items as much, and a restart is soon to come :)

12. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Short answer: yes.
    Long answer: yes, BUT. You rock! You're willing to try everything, and want the whole challenge from the start.

I sort of agree with you, but I have to trade. Too likely my Jalal's won't drop for my druid. And I prefer to swap items. :)

13. druidkid9

druidkid9 IncGamers Member

well i actually dont like it at all but it comes down to what you want.

I found the whole point in SP is to be able to start a character and invest time into FINDING items by your slef to make that character complete the game. If someone hands you an item on a silver plate and he goes 'Here you go' and you either place that item on a character or create a new character to hold that item would kill the whole point in diablo. If you actually spend time finding or creating a certain item which you need and eventually make/find it you gain greater satisfaction knowing that your time and effort paid of in that item.

What you do is your own choice but that is how i feel about giving items to others who play SP.

DK9

14. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

To me D2 is all about achievement. I play PVM, so it matters little how hard I beat the M, I derive more pleasure from finding stuff myself, or completing a challenging build.

Giving stuff away, I don't really like it, it spoils the fun, but there are times I just don't care and still do it... It's like with RL beggars, you give'm money, but they'll just end up higher instead of better fed :p (D2 wise: better equipped yet none the happier)

15. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Most of us partaken of the giveaway thread at some point; I certainly did. I can relate to the level 50 barb with 100 energy lol. The giveaway thread allowed me to Mat my first char (in MP with my housemate); she never would have done it otherwise. I think my interest in the game was maintained by it.

Thanks to the leg up I was given, I can now afford to trade for stuff if I want it badly enough. But I have chars who can find things themselves and that is thanks to the generosity of forum members.

As someone has given stuff away (but not in a giveaway), I get pleasure from helping out people who were in the same position as I was a while ago.

Now my interest has changed and I want to see if I can mat a vanilla char. But those RWM/RRM twinked to the teeth chars aren't going to be retired. There's a lot of fun to be had to taking one back and ripping through normal on a rush. :grin:

16. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

Everybody sets their own boundaries of the challenge/difficulty/etc in this game. From playing self-found singleplayer untwinked, receiving/trading items, MP help, HF rushing to straight forward cheating (Third party programs, etc etc.)
    As long as you do not affect other people in a negative manner there's nothing wrong with it. (Personally I go by "The easier you make it, the shorter the game will last for/with you, entertainment-wise.)

17. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Hm.. nah, the only time I get disgusted is when people start begging or run around the give away and ask for items for their grail or just because they want shiny's. IMO those give-aways are from people expecting others to be pleased by their generosity and the items to be used. No just to sit in someone's stash that just PM'd everyone in the thread and claimed a load of stuff.

18. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

I would agree on most, except I would expect a curve there. Because if it's to "tough"/difficult the game won't last long either.

Somewhere between to easy and to difficult is the "optimal" curve.

What is optimal is personal though, depends on playstyle, expectations, ...

That "optimum" most likely changes while you play more and more as well. (it did for me)

19. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

True, and then the character dies, and you move on to the next one.

20. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

personaly i use the giveaway thread quite alot for picking up items. and helping me along the way. i would never have patted/mated 3 builds without it.