Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Do you enjoy following a guide or making your own build if

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Tyrrok, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Tyrrok

Tyrrok Diabloii.Net Member

Do you enjoy following a guide or making your own build

In the past I had always tried to follow a guid to make a great character. Now with this new reset I plan on never following a guide and making my own builds until I get one I like. I was just curious as to what you guys prefer to do.

2. Aiglos

Aiglos Diabloii.Net Member

I understand what you're saying, but, for me, it's a case of "there is nothing new under the sun."

For instance, I recently went to build a damage reduction variant character only to find that I had already been beaten to it. I think it was SSoG that originated the "abbot" build, and after a day or so of work I stumbled across a thread about it. Chances are good that whatever you come up with, well, someone else already did as well.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try it anyway.

3. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop Diabloii.Net Member

Its very unusual to find a truly new variation now. I HOPE there's BIG sweeping changes this patch so that we have to relearn how to play all over again somewhat.

But, that's unlikely. Even the "new" guides, are pretty much rehashes of the old builds with different equipment or a minor skill adjustment.

I hope you prove us wrong.

4. rykuss

rykuss Banned

Oh dear lord, please no reminders of my first few characters. :scared: I'm so glad for the guides here. :laugh:

5. Jackson

Jackson Diabloii.Net Member

Now... there's some things that don't really require "guides", like you speak of. For example, I wanted a sorc that uses Blizzard. Naturally, one would max the synergies, throw on +skill gear, etc without having to look at a guide.

6. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle Diabloii.Net Member

I like following the guides actually, even if I've already made the character in the past and know exactly what I'm doing. I read the guide even if it's the exact same one I used to make my last character.

7. darxx

darxx Banned

Usually use guides. I remember my first sorc I put points into anything that looked cool ><

8. Leohappy

Leohappy Diabloii.Net Member

i usually read guides but don't really follow them

9. rykuss

rykuss Banned

I'm the same way, I even have most of them backed up on my harddrive. What with forum crashes and all, it'd suck to lose those golden nuggets of knowledge. *cheese*

10. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle Diabloii.Net Member

Oh, that's a good idea...

*goes to save favourite guides*

11. SSoG

SSoG Diabloii.Net Member

Pish Posh, there's plenty new under the sun- or, at least, new and innovative ways to apply tried and true ideas. For instance, the Medusa Amazon (focuses on Slow, Blind, and other negative effects) is a very old build, but I've never seen anyone else try to apply those principles to Blade Fury, even though BFury is perfect for it (BFury with a 2-handed Eth Upgraded Minotaur = :grin: ), and pairing the disablement with passive damage from traps makes for a super-powered character that could beat several of the better cookie cutters with ease.

Likewise, people are familiar with the ability to synergize ctc skills, and lots of people have discussed putting Phoenix on a Fireclaw or Fury wolf and synergizing the Firestorm, but they're inevitably turned off by the attack delay that timered ctcs always triggers... but I have yet to see anyone talk about making an Unshifted Melee Druid who synergizes Firestorm and then uses a Passion Phase Blade to trigger the CtC (since Zeal isn't interrupted by triggering timered ctcs).

Speaking of Zeal and synergized CtCs, how about a Zeal Sorc with a Dragon Armor/Shield combo who maxes Fire Bolt, Fire Ball, and Fire Mastery. Not only do you get a decent Fireball for ranged combat, you also get a 24% chance-to-cast Hydra that's very highly synergized. Boom, a Melee Sorc that's not an Enchantress.

And there's always a Necromancer that relies on Gumby, Decrepify, and PDR to become the ultimate tanking machine. Or a Guided Arrow/Fire Arrow/Cold Arrow Amazon who equips Crossbows and relies on dealing the most damage per single shot possible (Fire Arrow and Cold Arrow are used for their damage conversion, making them excellent immunity solutions). Or an Assassin that gets a ridiculous level of Venom and uses Poison Dagger charges to crank its duration through the roof. Or a 163% FCR Twister Druid who abuses the fact that Twister's stun duration is 10 frames... and the 163% FCR breakpoint is also 10 frames (permastun instakill against any non-champ/unique/superunique). And these are just the ideas that I've thought of- there are lots of ideas that never even occurred to me, such as a Frost Nova Sorceress, or an Amazon that pairs a level 1 Exploding Arrow with lots of fire damage from gear.

There's still plenty new under the sun, it's just that all of the really obvious stuff has already been covered. :smiley:

BobCox2 likes this.
  12. Paladine

Paladine Banned

Man I remember when I first looked at a guide....I felt so retarded with the way I was playing.

There were so many things I hadn't thought of and to the point was just playing the game to play.

Guides changed my life and turned me into a competitive ladder player! Anyways, I like them sometimes and other times I don't.

13. FanaticOfDiablo

FanaticOfDiablo Banned

try some oddball character i remember when my friend thought about the beast guide for sorc b4 it came out

14. Hrus

Hrus Diabloii.Net Member

I usually read the guides, then make my own decisions.

15. donnchadh

donnchadh Diabloii.Net Member

the only guides ive ever looked are the abbot and the uber kicksin person guide thingy, every other person ive made how ive wanted, some ill admit didnt work to well, like a zealer using santuary, but my no summons, maxed cyclone armour (partialy synigised) fury wolf worked really well.

16. Ed from Russia

Ed from Russia Diabloii.Net Member

I have read pretty much all guides, and tend to go over them when I plan a new character. But I always follow my own idea.

For some characters (e.g. Hammerdin, Meteorb) a deviation from the standard means that it will be a lot weaker, so following a guide is fine. But there are many builds where you can vary a lot. Maybe they are not the fastest, but they can be lots of fun. Think about Druid Summoners (combined with Elemental/Shapeshifting skills, and Assassin hybrids (traps + MA).

I agree with SSOG that there are still lots of combinations of skills and equipment that have rarely been tried and may be quite effective. I'm currently starting up a PvM Venom-Coldmaiden, trying to focus on elemental damage only so I can keep strength and dex low. I've never heard or read about this setup, but I'm sure it will effective.

17. shiftyz

shiftyz Diabloii.Net Member

for me i'm used to thinking of new builds myself, and having the pleasure of discovering afterwards, that a guide follows the same skill choices/item selections as me. Makes me feel good that someone thinks the same way, you know

18. circumflexon

circumflexon Banned

I've always come here to find my builds. I just don't trust myself enough :D

I don't like remaking characters that much either.

19. kobold

kobold Banned

I tend to figure out what I'd like to do, go look for a guide for a general idea, then carry on from there. I tend not to worry too much about having a character follow some notion exactly, it depends on how the game is going.