Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

do you date friends?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by asdf, Mar 28, 2005.

1. asdf

asdf IncGamers Member

do you date friends?

just wondering if anyone does. some people seem to be strictly against it, while others do it all the time. i'm also wondering about the various reasons people have for being for/against it.

i actually find that i'd much rather date a girl who i've known a bit and hung out with for a while. i rarely consider dating a girl when all i know is that she's got good "statistics" (i.e. eye candy, good grades, likes to laugh. blah). this tends to become somewhat awkward sometimes because a good portion of my lady friends are against it. still worth the shot nonetheless.

2. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member

i wouldnt date a complete stranger, but also not a good friend

3. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

I dunno, if its having a good time with just the two of you and so one else, then sure I date my friends all the time :) I guess its what you both percieve out of it.

4. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Keep your friends close but your enemies even closer

It's a risk; you might ruin the friendship but on the other hand, you might deepen it as well. I have seen it go either way (one friendship was ruined, the other one has the participants celebrating their second wedding anniversary). Personally, I don't date but I also don't have many friends that are currently single so I couldn't say that I would or I wouldn't. I will say that I'd proceed with caution, though.

5. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I'm marrying one.

6. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I wouldnt date a close friend, since it could end badly, and it'd be awkward with a friend, but if its not a close friend, theres the advantage of knowing eachother, and not risking a close friendship, I'd do it.

-Matt

7. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

As it turns out, probably most women I ever dated I was friends with, first. Getting to know and like them added a lot to the reasons I wanted to date them.

There were a few who I just blindly asked out because I was so stunned by their looks. Those usually ended badly, sooner or later, when I found out what they were really like.

8. MithrandirX

MithrandirX IncGamers Member

Almost all the women I've dated were my friends, some of them very close. I dunno, but it just seems to work out that way.

9. Night

Night IncGamers Member

I only date friends?

I take dating as something that's like..serious..though.

10. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

I wouldn't exclude a woman from dating me just because she's my friend. Although--very often once a man moves into the friend zone it's nearly impossible to move into the boyfriend zone. Those are two seperate lobes of the female brain.

11. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

The woman I love went from being my friend, to my best friend, to my girlfriend in the space of a summer.

12. ~Kazama Fury~

~Kazama Fury~ IncGamers Member

I usually dont date good friends.

But I do sometimes end up dating friends that I recently meet.
    There was a few times I dated complete strangers.

I find women very interesting and they are each different in various perspectives, which is why I am always drawn to those I don't know much about but willing to go out with them and get to know them better.

If it doesnt work out, hey, it was fun and interesting anyways.

13. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Used to say never. Now I'm not so sure.

14. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Does Isolde know about this?

I uhh dunno, Mageemoo and I were friends in a way, but always kinda flirty. In fact everyone was like "Finally, you two should have done dated ages ago." Apparently everybody knew we liked each other but us.

So I dunno, we were in an odd inbetween thing.

Generally, I think guys fall for a girl after they know them a little bit while girls fall for the guy they just met as he is still 'mysterious' or something.

It's really hard to generalize on something that A) I don't know much about and B) can't really be generalized.

15. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

I think it really depends on where you're at in life and who you are.

If you know them inside out, there's little left to know or say so it can be a damper.

At the moment I date a friend from the summer. We knew and liked eachother before the sexual connotations and after that it clicked. With close friends, a screwbuddy system seems to work best, as long as you're both mature.

You both like eachother, know that you're clean, and really if you're close friends all your missing from dating is the physical aspect....

16. masterazn

masterazn Banned

I would definetly date a good friend over anyone else since I've known her for longer, and I know how she reacts to things and she'd feel more comfortable with me anyway. I have never met anyone that is against dating friends..although I bet there are people like that. I guess sometimes it's easier to open up to people you don't know too well and don't see you that often (like your close friends) but in my case, I'd only date a girl if we knew each other pretty well and were already frank with one another.

17. StarStageGurl

StarStageGurl IncGamers Member

Not true at all. It really depends on the situation. I would prefer dating a good friend rather than a complete stranger just because I know what I'm getting myself into. A good friend is, in a way, like a boyfriend without the physical and emotional aspects of dateing. Then again, there's always that scary prospect of ruining the friendship. Ahhh whatever, what comes comes.

:| Actually, I don't think I've dated a friend before...... When I'm ready for a steady relationship that'll probably change. Friends who eventually become lovers will really last. As for now, I can't think of any guy friend who is "my type."

18. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

You beat me to it.

Same here.

19. Nword

Nword Banned

Only if they're female... :)

I'm generally not the most successful with dating/getting dates. The two I've been closest with were both decent friends to start with.

First one, we broke up because we simply weren't seeing each other enough (different high schools, no drivers licenses at the time). But we're still good friends (better perhaps, since we have the dating element out of the way).

Second one... that friendship went downhill fast, I've never learned why she suddenly stopped talking to me, and asking doesn't work. That friendship has mended itself a good bit now, though.

I wouldn't date a complete stranger though, simply because I'm a coward in that I don't want to be the butt of a joke.

A relationship of any sort would probably hurt my grades too.

20. StarStageGurl

StarStageGurl IncGamers Member

For some absurd reason, my grades are actually better when I have a boyfriend. Maybe having a boyfriend helps me concentrate and get work done faster so I can spend free time with him? *shrug* These forums seep my time away.

Right, only if the friend's male.