Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Do you believe in children's imaginary playmates (spook warning) d

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by raffster, Mar 18, 2005.

1. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

Do you believe in children's imaginary playmates (spook warning)

I am having a serious goosebumps outbreak as I write this message. I just got off the phone with a cousin of mine who lives in a mountainous southern region in the Philippines. She has apparently found out from my mother that I am doing Zen meditation now and I regularly visit a Buddhist temple. For some weird reason she thought I could help her with a problem she has with her daughter. Just a brief background, my cousin is very religious catholic and isn't particulary fond of non-angelic paranormal beings.

She claims that her daughter (age 4) is playing with "real" invisible friends of an alternate dimension. Even during day time her daughter would be talking with these invisible friends and the experiences seem so real. When asked to draw how these friends looked like, they resembled the dwarves in Snow White's life. There are apparently three of such dwarves who are friends with my cousin's daughter. The "imaginary" friends apparently mean no harm, but the spooky part is, after the child was brought to have a brain scan when they had gone to the main city last year (to see if there were any defects in the brain), all tests proved normal.

The family had sought a spiritual counselor from their local parish church but even after blessing the house, the "entities" whom their daughter played with still wouldn't leave. They consulted a local psychic and the psychic said that there has had a very strong paranormal energy level. My cousin asked me if there was anything in Buddhism that dealt with these types of spiritual encounters, and all I could tell her was not to be afraid and let her child just play along until she reaches the age of reason and then let her decide if she wants to keep those friends. (I don't think it will be a good idea to start a quarrel with supernatural folks don't you think?) Demonic possession, anyone?

I know I talk a lot about aliens and robots -- but holy crap -- ghosts??? I'd rather see an alien anytime than a freaking ghost. Unless of course the ghost is a ghost of a hot chick, but then again, how could a ghost be hot?

2. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I never thought you'd ask how anything could be hot.

She probably made them up, just let her play with them. If she still has them in a few years then maybe look into it more.

3. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Umm, I don't mean to offend here, but there's a couple of things that spring to mind -
    First, if she's a 'real' Catholic, WTF is she consulting psychics or even Bhuddists for? The Church tries to distance itself from the cinematic impressions regarding exorcism and demonology; this hardly means that you can't get a priest that would perform the rite "under the counter", or a member of a non-Catholic church who would be happy to oblige.

In fact, many evangelical groups believe wholeheartedly in spiritual entities, to the point that they are criticized for being regressive (medieval, 'devil made me do it' sort of stuff). People of this sort generally consider entities as likely to be Satanic (one devil or many depends on the originating church, I suppose). That's why when psychologists suggest inviting or coexisting with these entities to the victim, evangelicals regard this as horrifying and stupid. Confrontation is the best policy, because even if the spirit is not malign, you don't want it setting up shop.

Lastly, could it be that your cousin is a tad bit overanxious? My invisible friend was a 2' tall murine Agent 007 named 'Mou-mou-mousie' - had an Alfa Romeo, the wristwatch that shot sleeping darts, a Walther PPK, the works. Given that the girl is only 4, why is there an assumption that these are actual beings?

4. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

Ghosts have never killed or harmed anyone. All they do is float around at best.

No need for worries.

5. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

Are you sure?

6. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

If you can name one instance where ghosts were proven to be the cause of a death or caused harm to someone I will give you a cookie. Not just "Here is some weird crap that happened" I want evidence. Maybe catch one in a modified toaster like the GhostBusters.

7. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

Catholicism in the Philippines (especially in the suburbs) has very deep "intertwining" with local folklore, myth and the occult. It really sounds ironic but I guess her faith isn't that deep. She probably consulted with me because she knows I've had a couple of brushes with the supernatural when I was younger but had no significant impact in my life (or so I thought).

For some reason the "invisible entities" issue has been with her family for a long time now. Her older sister who now lives in New Jersey also had imaginary friends when she was younger, and now claims that her son (not sure how old) also has imaginary friends.

My whole take on this is that it is possible that there are some human beings who are more naturally attune with esoteric forces and/or who possess natural psychic ability. I think the fear is the possibility of these spiritual beings taking over your mind -- but so far none of such things have ever happened.

I have killed my own demons by realizing that everything is in the mind. I think the whole imaginary friends thing is nothing more than a mental construct, and even if it were real, they could easily negate them by "unthinking" them. I might be wrong but how else could ghosts survive unless you give them the energy to?

8. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

Do you mean they exist but do not harm anyone or are you saying No voices in the sky! :)

9. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Like I said, I wasn't trying to dis her - many Americans who call themselves Catholic don't really grasp or believe what the Church teaches, which is a pretty strict and archaic form of Christianity.

Some of these people even run for President :)

Well, I definitely agree regarding the invisible friends part... other evangelical Christians see Satan under every rock, and would tend to think that these constructs are a direct gateway to hell (and you don't even have to run around touching menhir per a scroll you find in a tree).

Those folk tend to regard anything not done in the overt service of God as sinful in nature; I think Jesus gives us a lot more slack (he's been here, done that). Much more along the Christ Pantocrator (aka God'll getcha) theme. I remember reading an anti-D&D tract from one group, and hearing another suggest playing their childrens' songs backwards to try to find lyrics... time spent in a soup kitchen would be a lot more beneficial.

My own opinion was heavily influenced by C.S. Lewis - I think that there are demons and ghosts, but that ghosts are simply souls that have 'missed the bus' for one reason or another. And I don't believe demons have any ability to affect reality in a material fashion, but rather try to provoke us into doing so. To me, the old adage of "We have nothing to fear but fear itself" proves itself so repeatedly that I think of fear as a far greater sin than laziness.

OTOH, the first time you encounter an apparition that isn't something you can write off as generated by your own energy, I bet you don't stop screaming for a week!

10. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

I am a firm believer in ghosts. I wouldn't be concerned. Children can see things that adults can't.

11. Donkey Button

Donkey Button IncGamers Member

Oh noes a little girl has an imaginary playfriend! run for the hills!!!!

It's just a phase, I went through one and a lot of people I know went through them. It just give the little kids someone to play with when they are bored. No big deal.

12. Eff

Eff Banned

possesed? bored. i did this sh*t when i was a kid because i watched too much nickelodeon. unless the little girl looks hella spooky (sleep rigns under eyes, pale skin, torn, black dress, never talks unless alone), i belive nunofit!

13. Arokthis

Arokthis IncGamers Member

I agree with what (I think) Eff is saying: If the kid doesn't look sick, just wait it out.

Sometimes an invisible friend is just a way to have an internal argument about something. They will disappear much faster if the parents don't press the issue. The only time to worry is if the kid starts blaming the spook(s) for her own bad behavior. (He/She/It/They made me do it.)

I had tons of invisible friends when I was little. My parents didn't make an issue out of it, so 99% of them went away by the time I was 8.

Just my $0.02 on the subject.

14. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Did the remaining 1% tell you to type that?

15. Eff

Eff Banned

hehe, the looks thing i said was kind of a joke, but you made a good point out of it :cool:

16. Dutchman

Dutchman IncGamers Member

Am I the only person here troubled that there is still such supersitious nonsense in a relatively modern part of the world? Priests, psychics, buddists..... because a kid has an imaginairy friend?

Tell her to call in one of those psychic surgeons, he can yank some palmed chicken guts out of the side of the kids head and everyone can feel better, particularly the healer who can meet the psychic in the local bar and spend your relative's money.

I'm really not trying to be an ass here, just completed astounded by such lunacy.

Dutch

17. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

imaginary / invisible friends arent always bad, sometimes they are needed for a kid and can help them

im not expert but logically, if someone had no real friends, they would create an imaginary friend .. right? :D

18. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

I'm with Dutch, here. I think some appointments are in order, Raff. If you know what I mean.

19. ReTrAc

ReTrAc IncGamers Member

I'm with Kow on this one.Lets go get the ghostbuster's gear.*gets gear on*.Um... Kow you'll have to drive i'm to young :rolleyes:

20. MithrandirX

MithrandirX IncGamers Member

So long as her imaginary friend isn't this guy, she has nothing to worry about. If it is, call in the marines immediately.