Do the majority of regulars here play HC or SC? (Poll)

HC or SC!

• HC

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • SC

Votes: 30 68.2%

• Total voters

Disposition

Diabloii.Net Member
I know the majority of 99ers are SC so I was curious what the majority of people play here? :)

Personally I've played HC my entire D2 career and now i'm transitioning to SC, I'm 32 now, been playing since launch and I just don't have the attentivness to play HC anymore, I love D2 but it's time to transition, do a grail, be passive, have fun and not be upset when I hit a wall / get tired and keep playing and die. xD

Arctodus

Diabloii.Net Member
Yep. 35 here with kids, work, other hobbies and all that jazz. Losing a high level HC character would take me too much time to restart to be fun.

However, I do have some HC projects that I’d like to accomplish eventually, like an ugly HC sept; finishing the game on HC untwinked with a suboptimal build for every class. So, I plan to mix HC and SC, but all ‘’serious’’ projects, aka UT99 character and grail, are in SC.

To be honest, losing stuff like Grief and Enigma on a stupid mistake would probably be enough for me to drop the game for a long time.

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Yep. 35 here with kids, work, other hobbies and all that jazz. Losing a high level HC character would take me too much time to restart to be fun.

However, I do have some HC projects that I’d like to accomplish eventually, like an ugly HC sept; finishing the game on HC untwinked with a suboptimal build for every class. So, I plan to mix HC and SC, but all ‘’serious’’ projects, aka UT99 character and grail, are in SC.

To be honest, losing stuff like Grief and Enigma on a stupid mistake would probably be enough for me to drop the game for a long time.
Doing something dumb and losing all of your high end gear is loads of fun. Trust me. It's hilarious. Such fun.

Kstil3227

Diabloii.Net Member
I’ve strictly played HC on D2 for added fun. I’m 33 with kids and stuff, but if I lose a character, sure I’m mad but then I know I get to start a fresh character and try a new build or remake the same character which I don’t mind, just gives me something to pass my time with. I’ve been playing this amazing game since launch with my dad, then I stopped while at college and picked it back up about 3 years ago.
I have my 2nd guardian sept underway now(this one being Untwinked and all new builds for me), my Hc grail is down to -27...i have 14 chars which all are guardians (most are twinked though) at Lvl 90+ with the highest at 96.25 and 95.5...I like the added pressure of trying to survive.

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
I played both, but did HC only shortly because it is not good for long-term character improving. If I spent years improving certain character specializing it for some task and then I lose it due to one mistake, I would feel exactly as if I lost my time with it. SC is better for tournaments and long-term planning. HC I would go into only for some short term playing fun where I don't care do I lose character or not.

Grisu

Diabloii.Net Member
HC self-found only since my restart back in 2006, because I mostly participate in single-pass tournaments anyway :) When I lose a tournament character, then that's not too bad, because it is what you (i.e. I) signed up for.

And even if I lost one of my non-tournament high-level characters, it wouldn't bother me too much, because while I do like grailing (still missing that Tyrael's, dang it!), I like single pass tournaments more :)

Also, because of all the tournaments, I feel quite safe when playing and don't do silly stuff like levelling at Hell Nihlatak which will surely get you killed at least once on your way to level 99...

The funny thing with age (36) and kids (2) is, that I really don't invest any time in new games anymore. Everytime I try to dabble in one, I lose interest quickly, because I REALLY want to make everything right and perfect in a game and I simply don't have the time anymore to learn all the dos and don'ts in a new game - but I do know them in Diablo 2, so...Diablo 2 it is for the next few dozen years (until I go into retirement and have more time!)

Yng

Diabloii.Net Member
HC exclusively for SP until about 3 years ago and only SC since then.
E: coincidentally my oldest son is 2 1/2 so I guess parenting and HC don’t mix, at least for me lmao

Disposition

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm surprised the ammount of people that play SC over HC, that's very interesting to me. ::) I'm going on the SC train too. :D Not as elite as I once was. :D

Gynli

Diabloii.Net Member
I play both SC and HC untwinked; but any long-term commitments are made in SC.

It'd hurt too much to lose hundreds of hours of progress over a single mistake. :(

jonnyphive

Diabloii.Net Member
32 with 3 kids here. Solid mix of sc and hc at all times since hc is more exciting but I like to have other projects to fall back on if I lose a hc char, and it’s much easier to make specific septs and the like in sc. I voted for sc since that’s where I spend most of my time lately, though.

JoeBruce

Diabloii.Net Member
I played SC in single player for a long time, with only a toe or two into HC. Then some years back I switched it up; I don't play much, so I don't lose many characters. (Still hurts when it happens, though.) Having high level characters and decent gear just feels more like an accomplishment in HC compared to SC. And when I do get a new guardian, or have a character over lvl 90, it is a tangible reminder of that accomplishment.

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
I haven’t touched HC in a long time, but getting a Guardian is on my to-do list just to tick that box. Other than that, HC is very different from what I enjoy in D2. Always having to be careful results in way slower and less rewarding running. I want to do the opposite, optimise characters for certain targets and try hard to push their limits, both in gear and gameplay. That’s not really possible in HC with a safety first mentality.

DariusTriplet

Diabloii.Net Member
I've been HC-only since restarting in 2016. Having higher stakes makes the game more fun for me, since it forces me to pay attention and not rely on just brute-forcing through difficult encounters.

Reloader.XMH

Diabloii.Net Member
It's a strange thing, but HC is the only mode that feels real to me in terms of progression. Because you cannot lose, the difference between a fresh untwinked lvl 1 character and a godlike character of envious proportions is merely time. You cannot lose, so eventually, you WILL have everything you could ever hope to want, so long as you invest the necessary time. In this way, the moment you create a character is the same moment you have everything - every accomplishment and every item you will ever have. This knowledge leads me to have an immediate feeling of apathy, burnout, and bordom.

In Hardcore, this is not so. You can lose, and lose EVERYTHING. One mistake. One moment of lax attention. One puppy taking an inconveniently timed pee on the living room floor... and it's over. You must begin again. Perhaps this time you learn a lesson and keep your fortune. Perhaps not. Who's to say?

Ghonn

Diabloii.Net Member
Can't stand the risk of losing everything due to any mistake, small or big, so SC and recklessness all the way.