Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Do Freezealots really need shields?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Scint, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Scint

Scint IncGamers Member

Do Freezealots really need shields?

I am thinking about how to build up my Freezealot, and am considering using a 2-handed weapon instead of 1-handed and shield. My reasoning is, Holy Freeze will slow the enemies a lot. I could additionally use other slow enemy items such as Blackhorn's Face, The General's Tan Do Li Ga, and Cleglaw's Pincers. So theoretically, monsters shouldn't hit me as often. Why don't I just forget putting skill points into holy shield and use them for more damage skills, and put the stat points previsiously used for dex into str? In the Freezealot guide here, the author suggests getting crushing blow very high, and many huge, 2-handed weapons provide that.

Has anybody tried this with success?

2. 10 Speed

10 Speed IncGamers Member

I suppose the reasoning is that you won't be able to get a kill speed so high that you wouldn't want blocking and extra resists from a shield. You can get a very very fast one hander and do just fine.

3. dang79

dang79 IncGamers Member

1. You may not want to put lots of points into Holy Shield, your reasoning sounds fine to me if you want to use the points elsewhere, the guide does mention that.

2. But you might need a shield to provide you with resists, otherwise you would suffer, unless you can somehow collect enough resists to take you at least into the positives in hell, I would think the extra hitting power wouldn't pay off.

4. prion

prion IncGamers Member

a scythe would look cool.
    In general, for elemental damage it's best to go with a fast one hander.
    If you wear a sheild and hardly get hit, then u don't need life leech :D
    have you thought about runewords? Some of them give CB and other stuff.

5. prion

prion IncGamers Member

some runewords:
    BEAST: 20% CB, 25% open wounds
    CRESCENT MOON: 20% static field, 25% open wounds, ITD
    ETERNITY: 20% CB, slows target, blinds target
    HAND OF JUSTICE: not really on topic but gives you another source of damage, ITD, Blinds target, freezes target, 20% deadly strike
    KINGSLAYER: 33% CB, 50% OW
    BLACK: 40% CB
    FURY: 66% OW, 33% DS, ITD
    STRENGTH: 25% CB

6. whathappen

whathappen IncGamers Member

You need shield in hell even a frostadin. One thing to remember is that if you put sufficient points into dextery (and you need to put points into dextery to compensate for not using fanatism), you'll get decent block shield even with without Holy Shield. So you kight as well put 1-5 and taht will be enough to max block. What happen with Zeal/Fanatism is that they really don't need lots of dextery to hit. So not only they max holy shield to improve defense, but also to improve blocking.

7. tuelpo

tuelpo IncGamers Member

Tomb reaver could be shaeld to blazing fast and maybe have a -req jewel for the dex, I got my first frostie to 90, I might try to get this idea going. It would be super gear dependant and you'ld probably want to go with a defense merc with arioc and skills. Might want to cheat a few points off of salvation to make sure sacrifice and zeal get maxed. I'm thinking a point in salvation and vengance would be well spent here. With a big fast weapon you could wear down those dual immunes. You might get a really good ratio of lost cold damage to added physical, if you can survive that is. Safe enough for softcore.

-tuelpo

8. Cod

Cod IncGamers Member

i personally think ranged attackers would tear you up without a shield.

9. wisedoor

wisedoor IncGamers Member

They need shield not only to block, but also cuz a weapon to deliver HF damage at maximum speed (4fpa) needs to be a Phaseblade or Beast Caddy.