Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Do Cold Mastery and Conviction stack?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by CiaoBoy, Feb 24, 2004.

1. CiaoBoy

CiaoBoy IncGamers Member

Does Cold Mastery stack with Conviction or with Lower Resist?

Or is it still impossible to lower a monster beyond -100 resist?

-CiaoBoy

2. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

-100% is a hard cap, nothing will bring anything under that cap.
    It is however possible that Conviction breaks a Cold Immunity, at which points Cold Mastery takes full effect.

3. Hyey

Hyey IncGamers Member

No you would not be able to "break" cold immunity, because CM itself is a cold skill, the monster is immune to it :)

4. Harby

Harby IncGamers Member

I dont think Convinction can break immunities (flame me :D ). Lower Resist can for sure, still looking for a lower resist charged wand or something. Any ideas where to find one ? :)

5. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Buy it? Forgot in which difficulty, but i think it was hell. Bought one their in Act4.

6. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

That's why my post stated that Conviction can break the immunity, at which point Cold Mastery takes full effect.

On the topic of Lower Resistance wands to break Cold Immunities: Nice idea, but forget it. Almost every single monster in hell has a base cold resistance over 100%, making it impossible for Lower Resist to break (Lower Resist and Conviction work at 1/5th their usual % on immunes). Conviction can break an immunity of up to 129% (120% in practice), charges Lower Resist can only break 107% (100% effectively). And you won't find monsters with only 100% unless you try really, really hard. Lower Resist charges are nice to increase your killing speed for non-cold builds though.

7. Harby

Harby IncGamers Member

I dont need LR to break immunities to be honest but to kill faster bosses like DC (where are those paladins when you need em ? ^^ ) etc. I dont have a prob with immunes, merc takes them down just fine ;)

8. core1000

core1000 IncGamers Member

Nah, you are all wrong.

The Arreat Summit says that Conviction and Lower Resists can break Immunities, but they will work at 20% effectiveness after 100% resistance.

Immunity can go up to 200% resistance... Try stacking Cold Enchanted with Cold Immunity.

9. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

Cold resistance can be much higher - Gargoyle Traps, for instance, have 1000% cold resistance. I don't see where you disagree with Zarhrezz, though.

10. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

What he thinks is that cold mastery works at 20% efficiency even after an immunity is broken but this is wrong. The conviction works at 20% effect, for example 100% conviction on a 119% cold resistance monster will take it down to 99% resistance, and then cold mastery takes over and lowers it by the listed percentage. So at slvl 37+ you're at its maximum being -100%.