Do Barb mods affect Barb' Merc?

Bash

Diabloii.Net Member
Do Barb mods affect Barb' Merc?

Excuse me for asking - recently I start to receive rather confusing data from my Barb behavior. Then I start to wonder - if Barb equipment mods affect Merc behavior/damage.

Problem is: what is method of Crashing Blow mod influence in Goblin Toe onto Barb overall performance?
I've got a hunch - Blow thing - just applied onto any hit check - according to Rikstaker explanation in Wirlwindarian guide. OK.

Let's assume - we've got low-level Barb with:
1) Rixot' Keen (Unique Short Sword) with 25% of Crushing Blow mod;
2) Gnasher (Unique Hand Axe) with 20% of Crushing Blow mod.
I've got a hunch - resulting Blow thing - is SUM of all Crushing Blow mods from all pieces of Equipment of Barb in question. It means - each hitcheck from any of weapons in question (Rixot' Keen or Gnasher - no difference) would be checked in way 45% (25%+20%) of Crushing Blow influence.

If it is so, - then Crushing Blow mod isn't differ by its "hidden Nature" from "% of better chance to find Magic/Rare/Unique/Set Item" mod!

But this assumption means (lead us to) quite weird thing. Crushing Blow mods on Barb in question start to give Crishing Blow checks for Barb' Merc - in the same manner like well-known "% of better chance to find Magic" influe findchecks for Mercenary! (In other words - Merc receive all his own "% to Find" bonuses as well as all "% to Find" bonuses of its Master!).

I've made some rather simple experiment - I've entered Tristram with Barb of 7 lvl and Cold Rogue Mercenary of 7 lvl in two diff configuration (I will point only differences).
Barb has got:
1) Rixot' Keen and Gnasher (Barb has Fanged helm with +3 to Axe and +3 to Sword staffmods)
2) Plain Short Sword and Plain Hand Axe.
Rogue Mercenary has got - Arctic Furs (Set Body Armor) & Arctic Horn (Set Bow) + Biggin Bonnet (Unique Helm) for obvious reasons.

Every time path to Deckard Cain Cage was as short as possible. Barb didn't make any swing at all - all his presense was only make occasional Shouts for keeping Rogue protected (defensed) enough.

I've made 10 runs in both variants (20 run total) with watch and can state - Rogue used to "clean" Tristam 1/3 times faster (including Griswold killing) if Barb hold Rixot' Keen and Gnasher in his possession - then in other case.

Pls, advise me if this experiment is backing my hunch about - Crusing Blow/ Deadly Strike/and all their brethren influe Merc behavior in manner of "% to find Item" well-known case - or there is another explanation for this data.

Sincerely your Bash

riplix

Diabloii.Net Member
wow you use a random vowel-keyboard :D

i think if want to poove anthing, let her take target a human opponent and measure that (not 100% sure if cb works in pvp though). or a single target with fixed hp. and you'll have to make 100+ runs to get anyone interested here

Bash

Diabloii.Net Member
riplix said:
wow you use a random vowel-keyboard :D

i think if want to poove anthing, let her take target a human opponent and measure that (not 100% sure if cb works in pvp though). or a single target with fixed hp. and you'll have to make 100+ runs to get anyone interested here
Ugh, actually I wanted to make "pure Griswold" run, but I can't keep "sterile condition" for this idea then - a lot of side-jerks starts to mess around in duel-equation.
Andariel/Mephisto and Diablo (as well as Countess and such) runs would bring the same "fuzzy results" as well.
Only possible - "pure Duriel" run isn't good idea for 7-level Rogue ;) or anything like that and more the that its charge attack - really stings Barb himself, then - Tristram/Griswald run is best/simplest thing to do - I'm afraid.

By the way - now I'm wondering - if Crushing Blow percentage from Honden Yari of Offensive (Might) Merc influe hitcheck values for my Barbarian. What about this relations?

Bash

monte cristo

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't quite understand half of the first post, but there was a case mentioned about two weapons giving the barb CB when used together. I believe it works this way:

Total CB = sum of all off-weapon CB + attacking weapon CB.

My barb used botd + beast and almost never did crushing blow when berserking (only botd attacking, 10% total CB from gores), but did it a lot when frenzy-ing with both weapons.

Halciet

Diabloii.Net Member
What monte says is very true; weapon crushing blow, just like other weapon mods, only count when that weapon is in swing.

What the original poster is suggesting, however, is that the merc inherits whatever your crushing blow is, just like it does with Magic Find. I don't believe this works, however.

-Hal

riplix

Diabloii.Net Member
Bash said:
By the way - now I'm wondering - if Crushing Blow percentage from Honden Yari of Offensive (Might) Merc influe hitcheck values for my Barbarian. What about this relations?

Bash

if i'm getting this right, this is the other way around merc -> barb instead of barb -> merc as initially mentioned.

if this was the case, this would definitly be a known fact. that merc setup is just too common and anyone with low or no cb and such a merc would probably have noticed.

another thing, i don't get is why you can't simply level your merc over lvl7.

Bash

Diabloii.Net Member
riplix said:
if i'm getting this right, this is the other way around merc -> barb instead of barb -> merc as initially mentioned.

if this was the case, this would definitly be a known fact. that merc setup is just too common and anyone with low or no cb and such a merc would probably have noticed.

another thing, i don't get is why you can't simply level your merc over lvl7.
Excuse me for pointing - but I didn't meet any melee char without CB equipment in late stage of game (when OFF Merc can get Honden Yari), then I'm not sure if you can see ANY melee char "with low or no cb" at all.

From other hand - caster chars - which used to have "low or no cb" - can't see Merc CB influence. I was sure - if someone is using Meteor, Tornado, Spiritual Hammer or Bone Spear he CAN'T detect if he has additional CB or not.

If I'm wrong and CB equipment influe Blessed Hammer or Bone Spear damage - then - pls, point me to appropriate guide - I'm rather newbie and not aware about all strange quirks in this game. (Just imagine - Goblin Toes would improve my Blessed Hammer chances - whow - quite interesting ideas - isn't it :)

Bash

ziggy7483

Diabloii.Net Member
Bash said:
Excuse me for pointing - but I didn't meet any melee char without CB equipment in late stage of game (when OFF Merc can get Honden Yari), then I'm not sure if you can see ANY melee char "with low or no cb" at all.

From other hand - caster chars - which used to have "low or no cb" - can't see Merc CB influence. I was sure - if someone is using Meteor, Tornado, Spiritual Hammer or Bone Spear he CAN'T detect if he has additional CB or not.

If I'm wrong and CB equipment influe Blessed Hammer or Bone Spear damage - then - pls, point me to appropriate guide - I'm rather newbie and not aware about all strange quirks in this game. (Just imagine - Goblin Toes would improve my Blessed Hammer chances - whow - quite interesting ideas - isn't it :)

Bash
CB only effects weapon attacks, melee or ranged.

It is an interesting question as to whether the character CB stacks with Merc's CB for the Total Merc CB %, but I do not believe it does.

If you still want to check with lvl7 barb and lvl7 merc in Tristam, I suggest you have your Merc killed before you clear everything except Grizwold. Then after just Grizwold is left, resurrect your merc and time/watch Grizwold's health closely.

It is a better idea to test CB in PvP. Melee CB is 1/4 of health, Ranged(Like your rogue merc) is 1/8 I believe. There is an additional penalty for PvP, but I am not sure where to look it up. Maybe diabloii.net has the info or arreat summit.

It would be a lot easier to control the environment in PvP.

Good Luck, although I doubt your results will show CB stacking.