Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

DLL error...any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Patch Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by Steeler Fan, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Steeler Fan

Steeler Fan IncGamers Member

DLL error...any suggestions?

Hello all!,
    I decided to play some D2 tonight, but when I tried to boot the game up, I got the following error:

Error Starting Program
    A required .DLL file, IJL11.DLL, was not found.

I had not played the game in months and never had any problems before I stopped playing. Any suggestions on how to get by this? Reload of software or maybe just create a false D2 with a fresh install and just transfer that file over to the D2 directory I am using now?

Thanks for any help on this issue. I have a character that is almost 80 and has some nice gear. I use ATMA, so that may help :)

Thanks,
    Steeler FAn

2. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Hey,

To my knowledge, D2 doesn't have anything to do with the loss of that DLL file, so re-installing it or what-not won't help. It's used by other games as well as D2, so they'll be receiving the same error (which, btw, is a windows error, not d2 error :) ).

That DLL file is by Intel, and it's for the JPEG library (D2 probably uses it for it's screenshots). I know that it can sometimes get picked up by anti-spyware programs and sometimes virus protection programs (it's associated particularly the DSpy spyware though)

To fix it, you'll need to get access to another copy of that DLL file, and put it into your System (or System32) directory. I hear you can get it from the AxisCamControl.cab file (though I'm not sure if I can link to it here, though if the mods don't have a problem with it, I can send you the link via PM). I don't think it's on the Windows CD.

Edit: I'm going to post the link anyway, since I don't think it breaks any rules. I apologize in advance if it does, but I can't see any problems with it. Click here for the cab file (from HellasCams, a live video streaming information server). You can unzip it just like any other zip file. It'll have the .dll file your after in it.

3. Steeler Fan

Thanks for the quick reply and for pointing me in the right direction as far as what kinda error it is. I have had issues with spyware in the past and what you said makes sense.

Do you think a reload of Windows fix the problem? I use Windows ME...do not laugh! lol I am getting a new system shortly with XP! :)

edit: I found that file at the link you provided. Now here is a stupid question:

Where do I put this file? What directory? Seems the original file is missing in action.

Thanks again!

4. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

I don't know if a re-install of Windows will fix the problem, though I really think it should be an absolute last resort (I mean, it's alot of hassle, isn't it :D, re-installing drivers and programs again afterwards). The only problem your having is that the programs can't find the DLL file. Everything should work when you copy that DLL file back to the system directory.

I won't laugh at your Windows ME, because I have one of those at work too :).

I had a similar problem, though with a different DLL file. I just downloaded it off the internet, and everything worked fine without re-installing anything. Just make sure you get it from a reputable website, and not some random one.

I don't see a problem with HellasCam. I downloaded it to check it out, and it does have the .dll file in the cab.

Edit2: I just saw your edit. It should be the Windows\System directory. I don't think Windows ME has a system32 directory, right?

5. Steeler Fan

Orphan,
    Thanks for the help. I got the file and put it in my windows/system directory...game came up perfect!

Thanks again for your help on this matter. Now I have something to do tonight! lol

Steeler Fan

6. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

No problem. Glad to hear that it's working for you now :thumbsup:

7. killarnie

killarnie IncGamers Member

I know this is a really old thread, but I had the same problem. I was able to use that same .cab file and my diablo ii is working fine now. Thanks orphan!!

8. the gopher

the gopher IncGamers Member

The same thing just happened to me. Thank you Orphan.:smiley:

9. cityflyingcolor

cityflyingcolor IncGamers Member

hey orphan how do i get to the windows/system directory?

10. Ijakeash

Ijakeash Banned

That's happening to me as well. This is what the error message is saying:"This application has failed to start because ijl11.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem."

I followed your directions, but I don't understand where to go once I install the cab. file. And, I can't reinstall because I am moving and I don't have all of the discs.

11. shyguys

shyguys IncGamers Member

same problem

i'm having the same problem.
    i downloaded the .cad, and unzipped it and added the files to system, and system32 just to make sure.
    i also downloaded a new ijl11.dll and placed it into both folders.

the error i'm getting now says:

"The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\ijl11.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."

after reading this i reloaded the cd and went to "run video test" although that didn't help.

if anyone knows how i can fix this, i'd be GREATLY appreciative.

12. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

It would depend on the operating system that you are using. If it's Windows XP, then you'll want to navigate to c:\Windows\System32. If it's Windows 98, then it'll be c:\windows\system. You can go here manually through 'My Computer' or 'Windows Explorer' (right-click on 'My Computer' and select 'Explore').

After downloading the cab file, you'll need to extract ijl11.dll from it, and put the dll file into the windows system directory. Since I don't know what type of compression programs you have installed, I cannot really comment much further on how to do it. If you have Windows XP, then you should be able to open the cab file simply by double clicking it. Likewise, WinZip can open the file as well.

You shouldn't need to extract all of the files from the cab file into your system directory, as you only need the ijl11.dll file.

What operating system are you using? I assume it's WinXP? It sounds like it doesn't recognise the ijl11.dll file as being a valid system file. You mentioned that you downloaded a new ijl11.dll file and placed it in both folders, but where did you download this from? Was it in the link I gave above?

Try to remove all instances of the ijl11.dll file, CamCli.dll, AxisCamControl.ocx and AxisCamControl.inf from the system directories (do this by moving the files to a new folder on desktop), and restart the computer. Run Diablo 2 again to verify that you get the same error above ("a required DLL was not found").

If so, clear your internet cache and re-download the cab file from my link above again. Extract only the ijl11.dll file to the system32 directory and give D2 another try.

Edit: If it's still not working, try to register the dll file by going to Start --> Run and type 'regsvr32 ijl11.dll' (without the quotes). For the record, you can reverse this by unregistering the dll using 'regsvr32 -u ijl11.dll'.

13. Ijakeash

Ijakeash Banned

I did all of that last night, and it worked. But, when I tried to get on this morning, the same error message came up. I keep downloading the ijl11.dll file, and everytime I try and play Diablo, it keeps saying the same error message. I want to try and remove all of the ijl11.dll file, but I'm not too savy on computers and their files. I don't know where I should go from here. Im using WinXP, by the way.

14. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

You should start a search on the computer ('Start' --> 'Search' --> 'For Filesor Folders'). Click 'All Files and Folders' and enter 'ijl11.dll' into top textbox. Just to be safe, click the 'More Advanced Options' below and make sure 'Search System Folders' and 'Search Subfolders' are ticked. The main files that we are after are the ones in the system and system32 directories.

Any results that come up, cut the file to a new folder on desktop (right-click on an empty space on desktop and choose 'new' --> 'folder'). It doesn't matter what the name of the folder is, as it's just going to be used as a placeholder.

After that, restart the machine and try to run Diablo 2 again. The reason we're doing this is because we want to see if the same old error comes back, without the dll files in the system directory.

If the error is still there, then clear your Internet cache. If you're using Internet Explorer, you can do this by going to 'Start' --> 'Settings' --> 'Control Panel' --> 'Internet Properties'. Then click 'Delete files' under the 'Temporary Internet Files' section.

Now re-download the cab file I linked to above, to make sure you that you do not have a corrupt version. Extract only the ijl11.dll file from the cab file, and put it in the system32 directory

15. Ijakeash

Ijakeash Banned

I got to the part where you told me to 'cut the file to a new folder on desktop.'

But when I cut the file and paste it to my folder on the desktop the error message title is 'Error Moving File or Folder' The message is this "Cannot move ijl11:access is denied.--Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

For the record I did make a new file, and it is not full of anything.

16. cityflyingcolor

cityflyingcolor IncGamers Member

you dont need to put in the system directory, you could put it in any file and it'll work :azn:

17. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Alright, the system must be locking it. Try to unregister the dll first, by going to 'Start' --> 'Run' and type 'regsvr32 -u ijl11.dll' (without the quotes). Once this is done, try to cut the file out of the system32/system directory again.

18. Ijakeash

Ijakeash Banned

I'm doing that and another error message entitled "ReqSvr32" is reading this-
    "LoadLibrary("ijl11.dll") failed - The specific module could not be found."

I'm really frustrated :/

19. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

First of all, that's RegSvr32, right? Not ReqSvr32.

Did you place the ijl11.dll file in both the system and system32 directory? If so, try to remove the dll file from the system directory. If you're using Windows XP, it shouldn't be there.

Also, try to put the full path for the RegSvr32, ie:

regsvr32 -u C:\System32\ijl11.dll

20. Ijakeash

Ijakeash Banned

Same error message. Are there any alternatives?

EDIT: Okay, so I just ran another search (about the 787624517 one)and it finally turned up 0 results. I'm now preceding to restart the computer, as you ordered. Hopefully it will work.

EDIT 2: Okay, I did it. It works great now. Thanks for the help.

EDIT 3: Scratch that, it seems that every time I restart my computer it still says it can't find the ijl11.dll file.