Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Disgusted with MF Hammerdin.

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Krollin, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Krollin

Krollin IncGamers Member

Disgusted with MF Hammerdin.

Ok, the title is somewhat misleading...

I am disgusted at how easy it is to MF using a Hammerdin, I mean where is the challenge!!

I finally got my act together and built a non-ladder Hammerdin with the express aim of building an MF character. To this end I was able to twink it with the following items..

At level 76 now, took about 10 hours of play to get me here.

Shako PTopaz
    Rare Amu with +2 Combat Skills and 34% MF*
    Skullders (not PTopazed yet, saving the socket)
    29% and 30% MF Nagels
    Goldwrap
    44% Wartravellers

8 7% mfsc

Non MF equipment
    Wizardspike, in NM I substitute Alis
    Magefist, in NM 40% Chanceguards
    Rare Shield with +1 pala skills and good resists

In Hell, MFing, I have good resists (40+% in all), 1100+ life, do ~5k dmg per Hammer and still have ~400% MF. MFing is no challenge with this character at all. As long as I don't get stupidly careless there is no challenge in Hell that is not easily overcome with the prospect of a decent reward dropping anytime. The only place I can see being a challenge is making my way through WSK (not reached there yet) because some of the monsters there really do require proper combat equipment unless you have Enigma or a Teleport item. Baal and his minions are also no challenge once you get there.(I have tried this build in single player roughly the same equipment, it is easy).

I find myself playing this character with just the MF equipment on in normal play in 8 player games. Those who play with me tend to have mules on hand to store the stuff we find.

Am I bored though? Like hell I am!

I am an avid collector and find it hard to throw stuff away, even if it is a crappy (in 1.09) +2 combat skill, 34% MF Amulet or the 1.10 Lightsaber, or 1.10 +1 Arkaines (who the hell wants one of those?) I found in 1 Pit run last night.

* such items are trading for stupid rates, I found mine ages ago with my 1.09 Zealot where it was worthless. I am so glad I never threw mine away.

2. kle02

kle02 IncGamers Member

I got 479mf on my own hammerdin and he gets shot down sometimes in the Pits.
    I use Wizspike, StealSkull (don't ask), Ptopazed skullders, 44% wartravs, 39% chance, goldwrap, rhyme dragon shield, Maras, 2 nagels (25 and 26) and like 2 6-7% mfsc.
    I do about 5.2-5.3k hammer dmg because I have 2 +1 offense GC 1 +1 combat GC.
    Resists are 70+
    Only downside in hell is that I find crap most of the time, except I get lucky sometimes, like finding 2 ariocs needles in 1 day (1 eth, 1 norm)

3. twighlight

twighlight IncGamers Member

i'm not sure about how you managed only 40 with a wizard spike on. also what do you except if you are doing nm mf runs it is going to be a piece of piss with a lvl 75 hammerdin. i think you will probably find it quite a bit harder in hell act4-5 with low resists and low dr.

4. gedda-d-e

gedda-d-e IncGamers Member

I say you guys are just lucky and play softcore :)!
    How come I never find anything useful?

I play a hammerdin (lvl 91, HCL Europe) and i have just Shako, Skullders and some MF charms on (giving me about 200MF) that give me MF. Other eq: Hoto flail, HoZ, Maras, Soj, Rare FCR ring, Arachnid, frosties and sandstorm trek. I use this eq because i tackle my self armound act 4 (mostly the sanctuary) in 1-3player games, sometimes I do Countress and the pit as well. I have 10-11k dmg, 1700 life, 10k+ def and max res (80+ all) and i excell at not getting killed.

Suggestions? And dont say "get a MF-sorc" because my god it HAS BEEN DONE. I'd say about 5 times since 1.10 :shhh: ....

5. IMCL85

IMCL85 IncGamers Member

chaos is kind of easy for our hammerdin.

6. Krollin

Krollin IncGamers Member

I am losing +22 all resists when I use Skullders and +10 all resists due to swapping out a GC for 3 7%mfscs.
    I only go MFing in NM when I am not looking for über items.

Act 4, River of Flames is not a problem (no gloams) as long as I don't rush around like a lunatic. I do CS as part of my regular MF runs in Hell now as well.
    One of the features of CS is that there are more monsters that don't use melee attacks than do than in any other act in the game. This means that DR is not really needed. Besides, if you are setting your Hammer fields properly the monsters coming in to hack at you are getting battered to death before they reach you, the same goes for monsters whose elemental attacks are short ranged.

Act 5, WSK. Getting to Baals Minions I would use my full fighting kit anyway, so resists and full damage are available. Baals Minions and Baal himself are not a problem in the described MF gear.

One place that can give problems is DoH 2 with those annoying exploding dolls. DR helps (I have DR armour available to me) however running with maxed vigor tends to mean that none of them can actually attack you more than once (75% block helps) if at all. DoH 3 is easy, none of the monsters present much of a problem and Mephisto in Hell is a joke against Hammerdins.

7. Mack

Mack IncGamers Member

have to say, MF is boring by nature.

8. Kitriara

Kitriara IncGamers Member

Mack is 100% right... I never liked MFing. All those wasted hours trying to get better gear when you could have just been playing the game.

If you've been playing a long time (I've been since the game came out, as have many others) there really is nothing left to do at this point but enjoy making builds. If you're in that boat, I suggest quitting the bore that is MFing and play untwinked - play with what you find and dont get rushed. At this point that is the only challenge left in the game, and it truly has made it fun again.

It's easy enough to put out a call on these forums for like minded players... it's how I formed my Deviant Builds Untwinked HC Group.

Just remember 20 shakos and 40 SOJs all on HC ladder mean jack... the only thing that matters is you're having fun, otherwise why play?

9. Krollin

Krollin IncGamers Member

I have been playing D2 since it came out.

The collector in me enjoys the results of MFing, it is something I can do if I only have like an hour of playing time. I treat MFing as a means to an end and refine my playing technique for a particular build when doing so.

When I have the time I prefer to play in groups, the player in me enjoys that.

The tinkerer in me enjoys developing builds and seeing how far they can go, I still have a single-player build for a pot thrower somewhere. Perhaps I will try it in D2LoD to see how far I can go :~)

In 1.09 I used a badly built Barb for my MFing which honed my survival instincts somewhat, getting to Mephisto in Hell was sometimes fraught with danger although death was never a problem as I play SC exclusively .
    Yes, I know that HC is where it is really at, I don't have that much time to commit to playing HC and don't consider myself to be an über player, just good enough to do the things I do.

It used to be that a Paladin was not considered to be a powerful MF build, in 1.10 The Hammerdin is basically the king of MF builds now, not to mention being even more powerful when not in MF equipment. At least now I am finding the items I need to satisfy the warrior in me when I fancy duelling.

Consider this thread to be "in praise of the MF Hammerdin".

10. Kitriara

Kitriara IncGamers Member

Fair enough... although one thing! You said "The Hammerdin is basically the king of MF builds now" when in reality, the Hammerdin is king of ALL builds now PvM, as only the Bone Necro can attempt to deliver insane amounts of damage almost no monster can resist.

Thank god its not overpowered though! =P

11. KnightFall

KnightFall IncGamers Member

I made a MF hammerdin a fair while ago now (lev90 now) and i have to say that your all right. He is un-killable in private games and almost in 8-player (except those bloody gloams!). I use combat gear with about 300% mf on top (working out at the mo how to increase this without harming kill speed).

Best thing i've found is to create a p/w'd game and do the following all in the same game..

Pit+countess
    travi+meph
    diablo
    shenk+eldritch+baal

Been doing this 3-4 time a night on top of normal char building/playing and having fairly good luck with finds.

Or join baal run games and do pit runs while the others go after baal (more players=more drops).

Just my 2 cents....

KnightFall.