Disciplining children

HAMC8112

Diabloii.Net Member
Hitting kids should not be allowed to anyone exept the parents. And by that i do not mean it is ok for the parents to abuse their children. I know that if i ever hear that my son or daughter were hit by a teacher i'd find out where he lives and burn his house down while he is in it sleeping.

Bortaz

Banned
You're such a good role model. You should homeschool your brats so no one else has to deal with them.

myleftfoot

Diabloii.Net Member
HAMC8112 said:
Hitting kids should not be allowed to anyone exept the parents. And by that i do not mean it is ok for the parents to abuse their children. I know that if i ever hear that my son or daughter were hit by a teacher i'd find out where he lives and burn his house down while he is in it sleeping.
Damn it feels good to be a gansta...

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
PFS said:
In scotland it is now illegal for a parent to smack their own children. Careful where this leads in your country.

In the UK the probalem is that campaigners can't see the difference between smacking a child and beating a child unconscious - and so are trying (successfully) to get both banned. They produced a TV show last week about parents who smack their children and think it is the right thing to do - they basically choose three sets of parents who regulary beat their kids and portrayed this as smacking.

And the dumbest thing is - they argue for other forms of punishment like isolation putting the child on a 'naughty spot' and physically keeping them there until they submit - sounds cushy but what it boils down to is emotional and psychological abuse. It's like "Physical discipline is EVIL, a good parent emotionaly and psychologically abuses their children"
I know, I know. I ****ing hate those people.

Dutchman said:
ironies (sp? Dondrie help!)
Or, I dunno, you could use a dictionary...

Yes, "ironies" is correct, although "irony" looks kind of awkward in plural form.

skihard said:
My 5th grade teacher used a wooden paddle on me and another kid in my class because we got in a fight. During the paddleing she spanked me and I refused to cry, she spanked the other kid and he laughed. It turned out that she kept going back and forth from my *** to his *** then back to my *** all the time getting more and more pissed, she ended up breaking this wooden paddle she had for years on the other kids ***. We just weren't going to let the other look tougher so when she asked if we learned our lesson and weren't going to fight anymore we kept saying no and that pissed her off.
Why do they go for the arse if they actually want it to hurt? It really isn't that sensitive. Didn't they used to use a switch on your hand? That'd be much more painful.

Stompwampa

Diabloii.Net Member
I can only speak from my own experiences, but spanking a child, regardless of whether it stops the behavior, still teaches the child that it is OK to hit people to get what they want.
Perhaps a spanking would be necessary in extreme situations...perhaps there are other alternatives.
So for, for us, the time out and reward system works really well for us. It's not clockwork, but for the most part, we've never had problems with it, our our little one is very well behaved.

I walked in on her trying to stick something in the wall outlet (we have those covers on them usually, I don't remember why this one was out) and I whipped her up off the ground so fast that the shock scared her, and then I was very stern (probably close to yelling) with her that it is very naughty play with those.
She was in tears and saying sorry so fast that I didn't even think about using a time out. She's never been near the outlets since.

I guess I'll see what happens if one of my kid's ever realizes that a time-out doesn't really mean anything...

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Like I say I don't mind spanking, I never understood people who used wooden spoons and things though. It's not so much that I think it's violence as that it's just a bit silly.

dondrei said:
Why do they go for the arse if they actually want it to hurt? It really isn't that sensitive.
What other spot on the body would be so well padded and effective a smacking area, where no permanent damage would likely be done?