Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Disappointing inventory system

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by dexterwang, Jun 28, 2008.

1. dexterwang

dexterwang IncGamers Member

Disappointing inventory system

Anyone disappointed that they changed the item system?

In D2 we had large 2d sprites that filled our inventory system, with godly equips that made us shat our pants and even more so when we equiped it.

Now it turned into a Wow or GW system with each equip looking like a tiny avatar and only can be seen on the (crappy, IMHO) character models when you equip it.

Its a small aspect of the game, but I know I'll miss the feeling looking at the godly looking items stashed in my inventory in D2...

However it is less annoying then having a easily filled up inventory.

2. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

Re: Disappointing inventory system

I agree. I love having a GODLY stash :)

3. lukefojut

lukefojut IncGamers Member

I thought that the 'geared up' Barbarian looked considerably stronger and more impressive than previously - character models look fine atm.

4. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

If given a choice between carrying 60 uber axes and only being allowed to carry 6 in the inventory while looking pretty, I'll take the first option every time.

5. dexterwang

I dislike the character models simply because the textures r weak, and the equips looks bland. It does makes the barb looks stronger, but the equips is lacking the metallic feel to it. But this is another topic for the graphics thread ~

@konfeta, the fact is you shouldn't be able to carry 60 uber axes. I do agree that the inventory is limiting in D2, but it also adds a strategic element to it. And its not hard to keep the same system and simply expand the slots.

6. Rashiminos

Rashiminos IncGamers Member

People prefer simple, unrealistic inventory systems over graphics, true story.

7. lukefojut

lukefojut IncGamers Member

The textures aren't finished - most people are theorising 1-3 years before it becomes a finished product, so don't moan too soon :whistling:

8. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Yawn. Being forced to stop killing to play Tetris isn't my idea of "strategy". The only advantage the tetris system holds over WoW styled system are the pretty graphics for stuff in the inventory.

Oh wait... They can stick those in pop-up windows. There goes that point!

As far as I know, almost every person I have met who plays this kind of game are annoyed by small and inefficient inventory in Diablo 2.

9. dexterwang

Thats my point, they shouldn't be dumbing down the game for casual gamers, while leaving hardcore diablo fans biting the dust. Making a game simple is great, but there comes a point where the game doesn't feel like what it used to be. Or I guess "should be" in the case of D3

@ lukefojut, yeah it is still very early in the development, but highlighting what could use improvment early on is also important. I'm sure that blizzard will fix the graphic system :thumbup: ... hopefully

@ konfeta, to each their own, but I prefer the pretty graphics over having to play tetris once in a while. Also if you recall in D2, due to the limited storage at hand, the number of pots, the size and number of charms, backup equips etc etc all come into play. Now with the single slot item system, you'll be holding 99 red pots, 99 blue pots. The weight system might put a limit to that but I rather doubt it, comparing to the other rpgs out there today

10. moranor

moranor IncGamers Member

I hate it too =/

Diablo is an item fetish game and that means I don't want them to be small cartoony 1 square things

11. capnlarge

capnlarge IncGamers Member

Strategic how? By loading mules full of items? Not seeing any downside to storing more items in less squares.

12. dexterwang

Thats not my point capnlarge, I mean on hand storage. I remember in d2, I'd be limited to carrying maybe 15 red pots and some blue pots. And pick which charms to bring along carefully. Should I sacrifice space or charms? pots? back up arrows? Its an entire system of planning and strategizing. I do totally agree the storage box needs to be expanded.

Also more importantly, I'd miss the large and pretty item graphics ;)

13. TheMadOnion

TheMadOnion IncGamers Member

I'm all for it. The biggest problem I ever had with Diablo 2 was with the inventory system. The game should never make you stop the action to fit something in your backpack; I hated it. I'm fine with inventory space being limited, but not with playing "bag Tetris" as a previous poster put it. Either I've got room for it or I don't, it shouldn't require anything beyond that.

14. Damnatorius

Damnatorius IncGamers Member

we'd need the horadric cube though, if items take more than one square

absolutely loved that thing <3

(wow i havent logged in here for at least a year, haven't played diablo for way more years, but saw trailer of d3 and thought woohooo)

15. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Diablo 2 inventory system is a hindrance. The mule-only accounts is more than enough of an indicator is that. The number one thing almost any Diablo mod does is increase inventory space and stash space. I am sorry, but most people seem prefer better and more efficient storage space to having an embedded tetris game.

I played Diablo since the first one came out, and I more than welcome the change. "Hardcore" Diablo fans isn't the same as masochistic Diablo fans. Blizzard isn't catering to "dumb casual masses" with this change. They are catering to the modern times and common sense.

16. RxT

RxT IncGamers Member

I like both styles of inventories. There are pros and cons for both, but honestly I could care less.

17. dexterwang

I do totally agree with you that storage space needs to be expanded. I'm just highlighting what we're losing for the new system. Like I said before I rather be challenged in a game to carry 10-15 pots at once rather then holding 99. And I'd hate to see the amazing 2d sprites being replaced by minature icons.

I'd like the game to be dark, gritty and realistic (ie. not being able to hold 60 uber axes on you ;)). And I'm sure some would rather it be simple, easy and accessible.

18. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Diablo is already unrealistic. Wanting it to be realistic is like asking Wonka to be less silly. How is carrying 10 charms on your body, 2 suits of plate mail, a large demonically charged axe, and 50 bottles on your persona realistic in any way, shape, or form? Inventory is already a hammer-space in Diablo 1 and 2. Might as well get rid of the "realistic" limitations as hammer-space isn't getting realistic any time soon.

You aren't challenged by the Diablo 2 system. You are annoyed by it. There is zero challenge involved in having to run to your stash and vendors every bloody 5 minutes. If this game didn't have such easily available home taxi service, had rarer drops, and so on, I would agree with you. But as of right now, the Diablo series oversaturate you with pretty much everything, including potions.

You have to choose. Either we reduce the drop rates of everything by 90% and remove town portals so that tetris inventory management has an actual meaning beyond "goddamnit, another town trip", or reduce the aggravation of having to manage your magical, yet realistically small inventory every 5 minutes by replacing it with something more efficient.

19. Kingston

Kingston IncGamers Member

They're streamlining a lot of stuff, it seems. I guess this will lead to the eternal "Why can I fit an armor but not a small ring, too?"

I'm not really bothered that much, both have their flaws. I just really liked seeing all the items in their full glory in the inventory screen.

20. dexterwang

@konfeta, saying that this game is already unrealistic so lets make it even more unrealistic isn't a great point.

Anyways, I was bothered by the item system too in d2, BUT it was mainly due to all the charms I was carrying. If you have to run back to town every 5 minutes that means ur cramped full with potions and/or charms. The limited storage on you was a way to provide a balance to what you can carry. Its about should I sacrifice charms or pot or storage space? I'm not sure how far you played, but at higher lvs, 95% of the drops are crap so the drop rate is moot point. One thing I must say about D2 is the horribly limited space for your stash, leading to muling.

But I started the thread cause I know I'll miss, like kingston said, seeing all the items in their full glory. Not particularly complaining about the system since there are pros and cons about both... I just prefer the old system more.