Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

dirty trick #193424467...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by advil, Feb 20, 2004.

1. advil

advil IncGamers Member

dirty trick #193424467...

regarding the kerry/fonda picture showing them sitting next to each other, that was all over the web last week:

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/index.html/index.html
    Potential lawsuit over altered Kerry photo

Among the fabricated pap circulating on the Internet about John Kerry last week was a photograph of the anti-war activist sitting next to Jane Fonda at a 1971 rally. The image was, it turned out, Photoshopped. Kerry never sat next to Fonda at a rally, although the doctored image found life on the Internet and in a mention in a New York Times story. Whoever doctored the photo slapped an Associated Press logo on it to make it appear legit.

and here's the guy that took the real kerry pic (w/o fonda):
    http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/02/20/MNG4S54RGO1.DTL

Ken Light, now a UC Berkeley professor of journalism ethics, says he photographed Kerry at an anti-war rally in Mineola, N.Y., on June 13, 1971. The decorated Vietnam veteran was preparing to give a speech at the rally -- but Fonda was never at the event.

rats. ;)

2. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

3. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

It's a good thing there's no doctored photos of a certain member of the Bush cabinet meeting with Hussein in the 80's. I find it hard to believe that this is still an issue. Kerry can easily be attacked on his Senate voting record. I guess that's the White House summer agenda.

Well, he did have a stupid haircut in the 70's. That in itself should count as a crime against humanity. Seriously, the 'hair helmet' is totally not cool.

4. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

bad hair in the '70s? Impossible!

5. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

I found this pretty interesting from the article:

In the afternoon after his testimony, Mr. Kerry led a group of Vietnam veterans to the front steps of the Capitol, where they tossed away their war medals in disgust.

"Tour of Duty," the glowing 2004 biography of Mr. Kerry by Douglas Brinkley, includes a photograph taken that day of his wife Julia Thorne consoling Mr. Kerry, who is curled up on the front lawn of the Capitol, weeping over the emotion of having just tossed away combat medals.

But it wasn't until 13 years later that Mr. Kerry admitted he had actually thrown someone else's medals away, keeping his own safely at home. "

Maybe Kerry could try acting if his bid fails.

6. advil

advil IncGamers Member

i imagine (never having been in the military much less having earned multiple purple hearts, or a silver and a bronze star) that such an act could be pretty emotional even if the medals he threw (he threw ribbons as well, and yes they were actually his) belonged to others. but maybe that's just me.

7. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Even if he was there with Fonda, who cares? He fought in a war, came home, didn't like what was happening in the war, and protested it. He acted his mind. There's no crime in protesting peacefully, so why should anyone give a damn?

8. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

I agree. The Vietnam war was a quagmire that continued on and on for years. I recall every week, there would be a list of KIA on the news reports. The numbers of GI's listed as casualties were usually in the hundreds. The Vietcong and NVA KIA were generally in the thousands. The generals and politicians kept fabricating stories to the public about how well were doing ... we were saving the world from the evil of communism ... if Vietnam fell then the domino theory stated that all countries in that area would fall and become communist.

The soldiers returning, however, had different tales. We were seen as an occupation force not liberators. The South Vietnamese government that we installed was corrupt. Our ground forces were used primarily for defensive purposes. Time after time, they ended up retaking the same areas over and over again.

It was a nightmare.

Kerry saw through this charade and became a strong advocate against this war. His speech to the US Senate in 1971 says it better than anything:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/943982/posts

I commend John Kerry for speaking out against that war. He spoke for his friends, fellow veterans, and conscience.