Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dilemma over Oath vs. Breath of the Dying

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Aiglos, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Aiglos

Aiglos IncGamers Member

Dilemma over Oath vs. Breath of the Dying

Need some advice...

Okay, I'm at a crossroads. I'm currently using the Lightsabre in Hell as my weapon. It gets the job done, but I recently cracked the economy with a 45 res all Spirit Zakarum. Now, after having two high runes poof on me, I'm down to a Vex.

Anyway, I'm a Zod away from making Breath of the Dying, but I'm only a Mal away from making Oath.

I realize that the mods on Breath of the Dying (higher enhanced dmg, +30 to all attributes, and lv 20 Poison Nova) are relatively godly.

My dilemma is this: a) getting a Zod for a reasonable price, b) is Breath of the Dying really worth the trouble?

I would like to make Oath in an Ethereal Cryptic Sword (which seems to be a hard item to come by, since no one keeps them most likely and also because I've only seen ONE Cryptic Sword drop...in my Diablo II life...plain and simple).

I would like to make BOTD in an almost perfect eth dimensional blade, which someone told me could be upped to a Phase Blade, and it would still retain any eth dmg bonus from its previous incarnation. I know that BOTD isn't really meant to be put in a Phase Blade, and I understand that it's essentially a waste of the Zod...I'm vain, so sue me. I don't want an ugly Berserker axe for my Paladin.

It has also been suggested that I might look into a Crescent Moon weapon as an alternative to Lightsabre. That could be made without having to trade my high rune and probably at a MUCH more reasonable price.

What is the best solution here? Anyone have an idea?

...and don't suggest making Grief, please. If I was rich enough to afford a 5 os phase with a Lo and Mal then I would have already done it.

Thanks

2. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Whoever told you this is wrong. Runewords cannot be upgraded. Save yourself the dissapointment.

3. pedu

pedu IncGamers Member

Making runewords which depend on %ed in phaseblades is kinda bad, because of the low base damage. You would be better off making it in a berserker axe. So ebotdzerker. Might be tricky to get tho...

4. Aiglos

Aiglos IncGamers Member

Evrae,

No...that wasn't what I meant. Not the runeword. I was thinking to find the dimensional and then upgrade to a phase blade. I see now that it's impossible still. Anyway, still, any advice concerning the rest of the situation would be nice. *grin*

5. WebDragon

WebDragon IncGamers Member

Since this has a lot to do with the value of items, it would help if you tell us what realm you play and whether its Ladder/Non.

6. Heidegger

Heidegger IncGamers Member

Mal goes for as much as, if not more than zod. Personally I think Oath is pretty cool, but you run the risk of getting a bad roll on it. BotD will come out with more damage, but it's kinda bleh and played out. Plus being able to summon HoW is sweet. Keeping it alive is another story though.

Grief isn't that expensive to make. It's quite easy to find a white pb and cube it to get 5os. Then all you need is 2hr, just like a BotD. The base weapon on a decent botd would set you back at least 1 hr. So of the 3 options, Oath is clearly the cheapest.

p.s. How many hr's did you get for that shield?

7. Evrae Altana

Still not going to happen. :wink3:

If you despise berserker axe that much, war spike might be a choice for you.

8. Aiglos

Aiglos IncGamers Member

pedu,

Yeah, I know. That's why everyone makes grief in a phase blade...because of the addition to base damage. But I can't help it, berserker axes are terribly ugly. I know it sounds silly, but I have no desire to have my Pally despoiled by the ugliness of said weapon. *grin*

That's why Oath is appealing. Crescent Moon is also appealing...I guess I could also consider Death and Passion.

9. Aiglos

Aiglos IncGamers Member

I'm softcore, East, ladder

10. Aiglos

Aiglos IncGamers Member

Here is the dilemma in a nutshell. Lightsabre doesn't put out enough damage to Baal Run with. I run a high Boneweave Fort, which does its part in keeping me alive. I have a really nice Shako and HOZ, up'ed and um'ed, as well. I also run Ravenfrost, with an Angelic Ammy and Ring, Soul Drainers, IK belt and boots.

I have some nice Gores coming, which should help.

I'm just looking for a high damage SWORD, besides the Grief Phase, that will let me run with the high level guys.

I'm running an 89 Pally Zealot, btw.

11. Evrae Altana

Since you're Ladder, Grief shouldn't be too expensive. You can probably buy a low one for relatively cheap.

12. Aiglos

Aiglos IncGamers Member

STR req was high on the Zakarum, so I let it go for 10 hr. Had I waited for the right buyer, yeah, I could probably have hit 20+.

But I'm impatient...*grin*

13. Aiglos

Aiglos IncGamers Member

The hrs were spread out over several characters to get them up to snuff. I prefer to socket all my high runes...IMMEDIATELY. I dislike poofing...*grin*

Anyway, most of the Griefs that I've found are in the 2 -2.5 range. And quite simply, well, I can't afford that right now. My rune wealth is limited now to an Um, Pul, and Vex.

Plus...I find OATH very appealing. I'm just wondering if you think there is a reasonable alternative to Grief. I like to be a little different, and I like to experience different effects. Everyone runs Grief, ya know?

Just looking for some advice and analysis.

14. WebDragon

WebDragon IncGamers Member

Firstly I'll have to advise against Passion. I've used it on numerous characters and, unless you need the +Zeal/Bezerk on it, you really shouldn't use it. The monster flee on it can get quite annoying.

As for your options, I actually like the idea of a Crescent Moon Cryptic Sword. It sure is different from run of the mill zealots, and it'll get the job done I believe.

Edit: Also, the cost for a good Oath would be inflated because of the base weapon required.

15. Aiglos

Aiglos IncGamers Member

Dragon,

Well, I love my zealot. I really do. I've had a better time with him than any other character I've played. He's certainly the only character I've ever played to almost level 90.

I find Crescent Moon really appealing. Level 13 Static Field has the potential to be like waving around a death beam. I noticed the 25% Monster Flee mod on Passion as I was searching through the runewords. Famine also seems interesting, what with its high elemental damage. I like Baranar's, for example, because it deals better with Phys immunes. It's just not fast enough.

Oath really appeals to me though. I just wonder what the going price IS for an ethereal 4 os Cryptic SWORD?

It has to be one of the rarest drops in the game. I would, of course, socket it myself if need be. But still, even an eth Cryptic SWORD seems hard to come by. No one is going to keep them since they are 4 os max. No one is going to make a FORT weapon. Oath is the only reasonable thing to put in them because of its indestructible mod.

I have NEVER seen one for offer, in fact.

What are the chance of EVER stumbling across one?

16. Evrae Altana

Cryptic swords, especially ethereal ones, are pretty rare. Your best bet is to run the Pits over and over and hope you score one.

17. soul killer

soul killer Banned

Balrog Blades are more common than Cryptics and i prefer them over anything else.
    Oath is a very good RW for ppl that are on a budget, my Frenzy barb uses Eth Balrog and im really happy with this performance.
    Its simple but very effective.

18. Evrae Altana

He's playing a zealot....so a balrog blade wouldn't really be good for him.

19. soul killer

soul killer Banned

Oh crap, made the biggest arse of myself right there.
    Thought this thread was for Barb :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:

20. Aiglos

Aiglos IncGamers Member

Good advice, everyone. I've decided to put out the call...either a three socket regular Cryptic or a 4 os Ethereal Cryptic (or just eth Cryptic).

There has to be ONE person in the whole world of Diablo II that happens to have this. As I said, however, I've only seen ONE drop in my entire playing career. That's on Bnet...and just single player. That's a wee bit scary, but whatever.

Maybe I should just never throw ANYTHING away, eh?

I wonder why the Cryptic sword is so rare? Seems strange that longswords drop so frequently, while Runeswords and Cryptics are almost unheard of. I have one Runesword on all my mules, and it's socketed with a STRENGTH runeword of all things -- with that said, it's a beast on my Barb. He tore through Nightmare with that and a Lightsabre with ease.

If anyone EVER stumbles across one of these, know that there is ONE individual in all the Diablo II world that will buy it from you.

Of course, I have NO idea what it would be priced at. Who really makes a 4 os Ethereal Cyrptic Sword with an Oath in it?

It would have to be a one of a kind weapon...which, quite frankly, suits me just fine. *grin*