Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Difficulty Mod -- mob spawn rate

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Mydienon, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Mydienon

Mydienon Diabloii.Net Member

Difficulty Mod -- mob spawn rate

I've searched for a mod that increases the number of enemies that spawn in-game, and come up empty. I don't want any other "features"--basically, I want to play vanilla D2 LOD with more mobs.

Does this exist? Or, even better, is there a hex value in the game I can change? Is there a game editor that can change the spawn rate?

Any help would be appreciated.

--mydienon

2. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot Diabloii.Net Member

You're in the wrong place - there are very few mods that we accept here, and what you're talking about isn't one of them. Actually, providing mod-support is against our rules.

Edit: try using the search function here in the forums for 'The Phrozen Keep' - that site does a lot of mod-support, and will be able to help you a lot better than we can. I'm not sure what the link is, otherwise I'd post it for you. (heck, it might even be a banned link though, so posting just the link could be against the rules).

3. Sir Lister of Smeg

Sir Lister of Smeg Diabloii.Net Member

I must add, that you could easily make a textmod for this, but as poops says, go to the phrozen keep. Also, after you make/find one, keep characters there separate from your regular Diablo II.

4. Mydienon

Thank you both for your help. I won't talk about game modding here anymore, but I think you've pointed me in the right direction--which is all I really needed. :smiley:

--mydienon

5. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas Diabloii.Net Member

Also, if you think that this mod will do nothing besides giving you extra monsters then you're wrong. Getting extra monsters also means extra exp (so your characters are tainted) and extra drops (so your items are tainted), meaning you basically are playing with a tainted game. You can't trade or MP on this site.

6. Hrus

Hrus Diabloii.Net Member

All people responding to you were right. Phrozen Keep is the place where to ask all the question about mods and how to create them.

We allow discussions about gameplay in mods. You can read more about how we treat them here: The SPF, Game Mods and you

Also Sint Nikolaas made a good point. Keep any finds and characters from any mod totally separated from your other items and characters - that way you can still trade with people here.

7. Mydienon

I find it a very refreshing change of attitude here--I completely agree that in any multiplayer environment, changing the rules of the game for one player (in any way) results in a tainted experience for all players. It's nice to see that diabloii.net makes an effort to keep their trading and playing community separate from the masses.

Hrus, I have kept my characters separated. My multiplayer gaming characters do not interact in any way with my singleplayer gaming characters.

Since you allow discussions about gameplay in mods, I will add that I have modified my singleplayer game. I can still play singleplayer (and of course multiplayer) games without my modifications. However, with my modifications, the number of monster packs--and the number of monsters in each pack--are significantly increased. So far, this has been a welcome change.

In my previous singleplayer games, I would clear out an area and, if I wanted to clear it out again, I would need to save & exit, then reenter the game. This was tedious. Now, areas contain enough creatures that by the time I finish the area, my characters are more likely to be ready to move to the next area--both in terms of equipment and experience.

This time-saving feature is not without risk, since the number of enemies makes swarming a constant threat. Not only is my character tainted with more experience and items in less real time, my character is also tainted in development. Area of Effect skills and items become much more desirable, along with anything that assists with combat control.

However, taken from another perspective, my modified gaming experience is not so significantly different from using the "players 8" command in a singleplayer game. Using "players 8" results in more experience and items faster. It also taints the character by encouraging development of high-damage attacks which would be overkill in a "players 1" singleplayer game.

Anyway, this is all moot. My singleplayer game is just that--singleplayer. Meaning me. The characters I use in my singleplayer game will never interact with anyone except me--including trades. If I ever decide to trade publicly (which I doubt) I will use my untainted multiplayer characters.

Thanks again for the tips and site warnings.

--Mydienon

EDIT: Sir Lister of Smeg, I did exactly as you suggested. By modifying a couple text files, I was able to manipulate exactly what I wanted to change--thereby preventing me from needing to download any mod at all. I was worried that a mod might affect things I didn't want changed, or worse, corrupt my game installation...or even worse, compromise my computer. Modifying text files was fast, easy, safe, and successful. Now I can have a bit of monster-induced chaos offline. Good stress relief.

8. Drystan

Drystan Diabloii.Net Member

LF zon in hell cows anyone? :grin: More cows = more Lightning pwnage.
    The increase in monsters leads to higher amounts of damage and thus, more cow deaths, and more drops.
    Wouldn't mind testing that to see what it's like, but I think I'll stay away from it. It'd be fun though.

The difference between what you are doing, and /players8 command, is that players 8 was made by Blizzard intentionally to simulate the difficulty of more players in a single player game.
    You way is just to add more monsters through a mod. I do think your way would be fun though, as an increased chance of being swarmed does seem like a good fun challenge.

Also, players 8 just doesn't mean more drops/experience. It also means more damage received, more hit points to deal with, etc.
    And generally, when someone puts it to a players setting, they keep it on that setting until they can no longer cope with the monster HP's, and then they decrease it.
    I know I do players8 in normal to make normal difficulty that much more difficult.

Players 8 can still be abused by killing monsters on pl1, and getting super chests on pl8, but I don't think anyone would bother with that.

I do understand what you mean, but Pl1 and Pl8 are allowed by blizzard, and thus IMO, is very different to adding monsters through altering or addition of txt files.

Enjoy it though, and if you ever do Hell cows with a LF zon, I'd like to see a screenie (if that's not against the rules.[?]) :smiley: