Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Different versions of Diablo 3

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Synchrotron, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Synchrotron

Synchrotron IncGamers Member

Different versions of Diablo 3

This concerns more the people outside United States but everyone can give their opinion.

Well, many of you know that Blizzard is releasing a lot of different versions of Starcraft 2. There's the american version, the european, the russian, the brazilian, asian and god knows how many more. They will probably do the same with Diablo 3.

Blizzard also decided to translate the voice and text of those versions to the speaking language of each country but there is a problem: They only give you ONE language option in the game. So if I want to read or hear the game's original sound, text and lore I will have to buy the english version.
    I don't know about you guys but that is the dumbest thing Blizzard ever did in ages, its simply impossible to perfectly translate everything in its original meaning and there are some voices that simply can't be replaced, like Michael Goug and Ed Trotta (Cain Tyrael voices respectively).

Not much of a problem someone someone might say, just buy the english version just like you said. Unfortunately there's one last problem: Blizzard is also implementing that region lock thing, so if I choose to play the english version I'll be separated from my gaming community.

People here in Brazil are quite divided. Many liked the portuguese version but many hated. That brings another big problem: those different versions will divide the players of the same region.

What do you guys think about that? Is everyone around the world comfortably with that?

ps: I tried to create a thread on battle.net forums but there is no way I can make an account there. To complicated =/

2. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

Re: Different versions of Diablo 3

I really hate it when people translate software. It's like the most stupid thing ever invented. When you want to use a computer, just learn English. It's not that hard, I'm doing it since I'm little.
    It's not like it's rocket science. The language they use like super simple.

I for am glad nobody bothers about dutch. Games are rarely translated. And if something is translated, it's the books that come with it rather then the game itself.

P.S. When did they say they would divide the game in regions. That would suck big time.

Well said, I just don't think blizzard will agree.

3. GuardianHadriel

GuardianHadriel IncGamers Member

Diablo 1 was translated to swedish (as an potion to english) for some reason and it's the funniest thing i've ever heard (one funny translation is when farnham describes the butchers clever he kinda says He had a sword...The size of an Axe!) but i don't even want swedish as an option in D3...but i don't think they'll bother anyway. I'll just get the european/english version

4. Leugi

Leugi IncGamers Member

I hate the fact that Blizz is doing that for Sc2...

It's just awful... I don't like translations in games nor movies, and I don't like the fact that now aussies can't play with americans....

I hate it really...

But meh, what can we do?

5. Davidus

Davidus IncGamers Member

with a european cd key you can download all european versions from battle.net after you registered your cd key. so if you don't like the german vo just dl the english version

6. Synchrotron

Yes, both north american and european players wont have any problem with translations since they have the en-us or the en-eu versions, but for everyone else there is no other way, if you don't want a translated version you will have to play on a different server of your region.

I was anxious to buy Diablo 3, since the announce date there was many things I disliked about the game but with time I changed my mind but forcing people to play a translated version with only one language option is bull****, I'll just buy D3 when they add support for different servers just like they told. :thumbsdown:

7. Kingu

Kingu IncGamers Member

Honestly I must say, most of game translations to my native language are weak, and voices even worse, but that is because translators get text but most of the time they have to figure out the context them selfs, thats the problem.

But still there are, from time to time, great translations, that even overshadows the original.
    But again this is the sign of times.

8. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

I'm getting really confused from this topic. It seems like everyone hates that other countries are getting the game in their native language.

Hmm....that doesn't seem like something to hate, so I'm guessing I missed something.

So region locking keeps you in the realm, but this has no correlation to language at all. I remember playing with French speaking Canadians on East so...

9. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

You can say that again. The only game where I had to fight the Dutch install was Black & White. For some reason it wouldn't allow me to install the English version. Drove me nuts.

10. Leugi

Leugi IncGamers Member

Look... Particularly translations to Spanish in Blizzard games were always terrible. The voices didn't sound quite as good, they translated names (so names weren't that good either) and worsely enough they mistranslated a lot of things...

For instance, instead of "Frozen Throne" we had "Throne of the Ice" which sounds terribly less epic... And in a game like Diablo where I do want to understand the story and all... It just would be bad if they did that... The funny part is that in some places it was like "Throne of the Ice" but when units said it ingame it was "Frozen Throne" as if the translation was made by different people in different moments without caring...

Also some word-jokes Blizz uses like when mortar teams said "Mortar Kombat!" when they were trained are lost, as they don't work well enough in other languages. It just simply doesn't have the same feeling...

But still, that isn't such a major problem... In fact, i'm sure there will be easy to use mods to re-translate everything to its original text... So yeah, not much of a problem there...

Yes, region locking has no correlation to language... But that doesn't make it better... Say, I'm member of a game forum like this one, so I know a lot of people outside my region which I'd like to play with... I simply can't... The system doesn't allow that in any way, that's the problem...

Of course, I am not much a multiplayer fan of Diablo, so that won't bug me in Diablo, but it does bother me a lot in Sc2...

And Aussies get locked together with Koreans in Sc2... Poor guys, they're going to have to improve vastly...

It is confirmated for Sc2... D3 might as well work like that too...

11. permaximum

permaximum Banned

Region-lock. That's where the problem begins and that's where the problem ends.

12. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

I knew I'd seen a post here, but couldn't find it. I did manage to find one though:
    Getting people online, playing and interacting is obviously the overall goal for the Battle.net platform, and that includes allowing people to play across regional boundaries as they have in the past.

Unfortunately, there are a multitude of challenges we have to overcome due to the unique regional account and billing options that didn't exist in the past. But those hurdles aren't insurmountable, and we are looking into solutions that will allow interested players to obtain access to other regional versions without having to buy another full copy of the game. Those solutions are something we're currently planning to have available through Battle.net Account Management within the first few months of StarCraft II's release.

Before that solution is implemented though, you're correct in that you'd need to purchase a US copy of the game on launch day to play in the US region.
    It stinks that Blizzard has to think about other countries and cooperating with them. :(

Also the interview with Clan Iraq:

4) Pay-to-play
    It has turned out that SC2 is indeed Pay-to-Play, despite all the promises we’ve had otherwise, in regions outside of the US. For example, Russian and South American players must subscribe to battle.net and get a set amount of “game hours” that expire and need to be renewed. Will such a system exist for D3?

Bashiok: We tailor our business models for each country/region based on many factors. Here in the US I can walk into a game store, buy a boxed product for about $60, take it home, and I generally expect that to include free multiplayer (unless I know it’s a subscription MMO or whatever). That’s not something you can do in all other countries, most don’t have game stores, and so it’s not something they generally work with. The exact same tailoring has been used for World of Warcraft.

5) Region Locking

Bashiok: Here’s the last thing that was said on region locking (this was Sigaty btw):

Q: How far in the ‘long term’ are those plans which allow for swapping to U.S. servers on an E.U. account - or a global account?
    A: Jumping to the region you want is definitely in the long term plan for Battle.net, although we do have some concerns about communicating properly to the player what’s happening if they choose this because it WILL affect the latency of the game. As far as a date on when, I don’t have one yet. There are a number of features that we want to make sure get out their first and jumping to different servers is lower on the priority list at the moment.

I get the region lock hate--I have an Australian friend and I would absolutely love to play D3 with her--but it's something that will be gone once cross-country payment issues are solved and that you don't require the same region's game to play anyway. By getting a game designed for US servers, that person would be locked into US, but that was the goal anyway.

Language translations are always bad no matter what franchise. Some are blatantly a WTF moment, some just lose some things in the translation (your Mortar Kombat feel).

After reading over closely, it seems like this is where countries have two or more languages, but only 1 language choice (I think English by default) and that a translated version is available. However, the quality isn't as good in terms of names, jokes, and so on.

But I have to ask: is this just not liking the NPC's in the translation or is this also about chatting in multiple languages. Message boxes and chat / whispers can easily hold more than 1 language since it's just the way you type. One thing mentioned is being cut off from the rest in that language, but that wouldn't be the case unless you make an account in an entirely different realm than them. If you're on the same realm, translated vs english wouldn't change anything even with region lock in-place temporarily.

13. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

Lots of misinformation in this thread.

Okay, Australians will have a choice to play on US servers, or SEA servers. There are two big ISPs in Australia, and one of them works great on SEA, the other one works horribly. I think Telstra(sp?) is the best one for the US servers, but gets bad ping to the SEA servers. Or vice-versa, I don't remember.

In addition, after you register your game online, you will have a choice of languages. But you'll have to download that client. The language packs obviously don't come on the DVD...or else you would be getting multiple DVDs.

Sources:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=140764872609672 (US to Australia server option)

And check here for the languages:

http://us.battle.net/en/info/digital-purchase

Go through the steps and you'll see. After you register the game on your account, if you buy the physical copy, you will see your language options.

If you are going to complain about something, please have the courtesy to yourself and others by at least doing a cursory google search if you don't know what you're arguing about.

14. Dahmer

Dahmer IncGamers Member

Couldn't agree more. After playing various mmo's I've got good friends pretty much all over the world and I hope there are lots of different versions with different languages but they shouldn't limit which region you can play on.

15. Leugi

Leugi IncGamers Member

About the first link... I surely haven't read it... it is relatively recent so yeah... my mistake... But:

Q: If I have already purchased the North American version, can I also play on the Southeast Asia/Australia/New Zealand servers?
    A: No. To have the option to play on both servers, you must purchase the Southeast Asia/Australia/New Zealand version of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. This solution is specifically targeted to address gamers in Southeast Asia/Australia/New Zealand who have social relationships with North American players from previous Blizzard Entertainment titles.

Q: Will I be able to play on any of the other StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty regional servers?
    A: No. Players who purchase the Southeast Asia/Australia/New Zealand version of StarCraft II will have access to the Southeast Asia/Australia/New Zealand and the North American Battle.net servers. No other multi-region play will be available at this time.

It's still region locked... First up because it is only an option for SEA servers, not either for say US servers or (I think, I'm not so sure if one exists at all) South American servers... So in the end, it's still a region lock, with some nice bits for SEA...

(Of course they say "at this time" so hopefully things will change soon, or at least when Hearth of the Swarm comes)

About the second link...

Yes, by purchasing the game via Internet you can choose your client language and all that... But the option is only for digital purchasing... So if I go to a game store I will not be able to choose those stuff because they will simply have the South American version...

I will probably use Internet to purchase the game (so, in the end I won't care that much of the problem)... But others who don't have credit cards or paypal or any way to pay via Internet will still be region-locked...

16. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

[quoteIt's still region locked... First up because it is only an option for SEA servers, not either for say US servers or (I think, I'm not so sure if one exists at all) South American servers... So in the end, it's still a region lock, with some nice bits for SEA...[/quote]Yes, but your quote states that an Autralian wishing to play with someone in the US is region locked into staying in the US...

That's very different than:

What region lock means is that they can play, but then that's all they'll play with. If they want to only do that, horray for them. If they want to go back to Asia, either buy a new one (not recommended) or wait a few months (specifics not given).

True, but a 15 minute (maybe less) visit to the bank can get you a pay pal account + a deposit to buy the game. Then again, this is about other countries and I'm unfamiliar with how easy it would be for them to get an account. I am assuming it wouldn't be too difficult and worth the 15 minutes.

17. Synchrotron

They do, Blizzard just opened the first one for SC2 BUT they are hosted on United States, YAY!!! So what our gaming community has:

-translated and dubbed starcraft with no other language option
    -locked in a server that is hosted thousand of miles away (lag is still a problem)
    -hotkeys for the units, constructions etc changed to fit the portuguese language

The same will happen with D3 unfortunately, I can't even imagine the new voice of Cain in portuguese.

Anyway, theres still a little hope, some people figured it out that if you replace some language files you can change the language to english, I just hope Blizzard dont use their ban hammer on those people because they are altering the files of the game.

18. Leugi

Leugi IncGamers Member

Yes I know, I already admitted my mistake by not knowing those news. Aussies can play with Americans now, which is good. But there are still some region locks...

Well, in Bolivia you can't get Paypal accounts, and I live in Bolivia, so yeah... It's quite a terribly country-specific problem, but it's still rather unfair.

Of course, I understand countries like Bolivia aren't exactly the greatest money givers in terms of gaming, mainly because there's an amazing ammount of piracy around. So if Blizz doesn't consider many things here, well it's just understandable xD ...

It's fun to argue with Sass, I'll admit... I don't know why perm takes it personal so much :p

19. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

I had something else here but only just realized the URL can change the "ES" to "EN and it translates itself....><

Here is a list of countries that interact with Paypal.

Bolivia is in the receive money list, but it doesn't mention sending. Still.....hmmm....there has to be some system you could use. :S

This seems to be able to work, but prob...om/eFindUs/app/?wicket:interface=:1::]Aiquile, and it gave a location where you can go in and transact.

I'd have no clue on service or additional countries since I didn't fiddle around with them all. Hope some of this helped or at least can kick start finding a way.

20. Leugi

Leugi IncGamers Member

So yeah, it is unnecessarily complicated for some (not for me thanks to some contacts) so yeah... Point proven :D

I guess we can hope the region-lock ends with time...