Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Different summoner choices

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by zooply, Jun 27, 2008.

1. zooply

zooply IncGamers Member

Different summoner choices

Okay I was thinking of starting out with a summoner again for this ladder season, and wondered what would be my strongest (as in most efficient and quickest at doing mf runs) choice. I prefer planning for endgame gear here, as I think for this ladder I'm going to deck him all out, even though that will take forever.

Televangelist - Thorns aura (maybe stacked with bramble) combined with amp for nasty damage return.

Skelliemancer - Classic summoner with maxed SM, RS, and CE (rest into possibly G. mastery, mages, IG, amp, w/e). Pride/Infinity and Fortitude on a might merc, while I carry a faith (higher fana lvl) with prebuff gear on switch.

Skelliemancer 2 - Same as above, but with mages maxed, and merc carrying infinity.

Poison/Summon Hybrid - Same as the skelliemancer, but points are shifted from CE to building up nova. No need to go ask pindle for a starter army, and I'd be able to able to do some damage while my skellies beat on things. CE should be at a decent lvl with +skills gear.

Mage Warden - Maxed SM, mages, nova, p. dagger, and rest into p. explosion after synergies & 1 pt skills. Merc would carry infinity & necro has death's web.

2. axdaddy

axdaddy IncGamers Member

Re: Different summoner choices

This season I started a poison necro since that was the only necro main build I've left to try. With the rest of the points I went for max raise skeletons and I'm planning to distribute the rest between skeleton mastery and CE. Let's just say this is the most engaging, versatile and fun build I've played. Having played many pure fishymancers, this feels like a fishymancer and more.

Now let's discuss the considerations:
    When leveling and questing, I pumped RS first, then maxed my poison nova, then poison synergies. When compared to a fishymancer, I had a harder time leveling due to lack of skeleton mastery, and poison isnt as big a killer as CE until u max synergies and add +skills. Being untwinked at first, this build suffers from weaker skeletons who can really get massacred in hell by killer boss packs. Just try travincal and you'll get what I mean.

When twinked, this build started to really shine. I'm using full trangs, death web, a rare nec ammy for a total of +9 to all nec skills, +25/-65 psn dmg/-psn resist. I have 170+ mf (yes, its possible with full trangs) and I run pits, eldtrich, shenk w/o problems. Running nithlatak and worldstone keep takes awhile longer than my enigma geared summoner last ladder, but it isnt very slow or tedious either. Between psn nova, firewall and CE, (on top of your might merc, skeletons, mages, and gumby) there is nothing that cannot be killed. I'm so comfortable with it that I dont feel the need to switch to high end runeword gear even if I can afford it eventually.

On a sidenote, because you can never 'finish' the build, (cant max both CE and skeleton mastery), it provides a good incentive to level to 99, which just happens to be my personal goal this ladder.

3. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Re: Different summoner choices

A well equipped Poison/Summon Hybrid will be very fast in clearing areas. You loose out on some MF since the poison part needs good gear to be able to be effective.

A straight up Skelliemancer with Mages can have a higher damage than one with just IG, even if you make that IG from a nice aura rune word. This build is probably a little slower than a P/S-Hybrid, but you can carry more MF if you wish.

Basically it comes down to preference.