Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Different Orb Types

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by BigKevSexyMan, Jul 8, 2009.

1. BigKevSexyMan

BigKevSexyMan Diabloii.Net Member

Different Orb Types

Just got an idea. What if every once and a while you get a rare orb instead of a typical health or mana orb?

For instance, could it be possible for an orb to drop that may increase your attack speed or damage?

I'm not thinking about uber orbs like ones that make you invincible, but it may be cool for a rare golden orb(possibly dependent and the monster you kill) to drop and give you a newer temporary advantage in battle.

2. CorduroyAunt

CorduroyAunt Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Different Orb Types

Wtf are you talking about man? Orbs??? Like Sorceress weapons? Mana and health orbs???

3. blikst

blikst Diabloii.Net Member

I think you need a hug. :loving:

As for the topic, I think that might be cool as long it's easy to see what kind of orb it is so you don't confuse it with a health one in the heat of battle.

4. kavlor

kavlor Diabloii.Net Member

Might be a bit bad on Ranged attackers,Health orbs kinda balance out with ranged attackers because if they are away from the combat they get hit less but I dont think they would like to lose out on the benefit of these other orbs.Otherwise not a bad Idea to replace Shrines.

5. hubb

hubb Diabloii.Net Member

Sounds cool, but it somehow doesn't fit well to me. It seems too much like a power-up orb you would get in an arcade game. I don't want to run around collecting orbs :p

Making them rare solves that in practice, but I still don't like it

6. Risingred

Risingred Diabloii.Net Member

I think they're going to drop elixirs for that exact purpose. Little temp buffs.
    I believe the reasoning is that they need "trash" or "fluff" drops so you aren't getting bombarded by equipment, because they took out potions and bolts and arrows and other moderately useless things from Diablo II. Now they need to come up with their own moderately useless things to drop to act as a buffer between the droprate of great items and the player.

Then again I do like the idea of the buffs/elixirs not being mobile and you are forced to either use them or not.

7. BigKevSexyMan

Lol, yeah, that worries me too, but in the end I think people would race to get one without complaints.

*side issue*
    Y'know how items that drop can't be seen by other players. Is it the same for orbs, or can everyone see the orbs that drop?

8. blikst

I haven't thought about that and I don't remember seeing anything about it. I think it depends on how important the orbs will be for gameplay. I would guess they will make it so only one player can see it.

9. Risingred

If any party member within range gets the effect of the orb, one would assume that everybody can see it, right?

10. blikst

If that's the case then that would make sense yes. ;)

I've never been good at guesses.

11. paperkut

paperkut Diabloii.Net Member

They could almost be a replacement for D2's shrines as long as they were fairly rare.

examples: Max Health orb, Unlimited stamina orb, Max mana orb, etc.

12. Jedouard

Jedouard Diabloii.Net Member

I think the OP meant globes. Instead of just having mana and health globes, what if there were also special, rare, random globes. Not to be confused with the wizard's orb, a secondary weapon.

Calm down, though, man.

13. SysEx

SysEx Diabloii.Net Member

My thoughts exactly. I think it's a great idea.

14. AtomicJ

AtomicJ Diabloii.Net Member

:(

I also thought this thread was about the Wiz's weapon, not the health/mana globes. Oh well.

As for the OP's suggestion: sure, I guess. Why not?

15. 5zigen

5zigen Diabloii.Net Member

I like the idea as well.

Specifically if there was an EXP increasing orb, a Drop Rate increasing orb and a Gold Find increasing orb...

Make them rare, or better yet make them drop from the champion type monsters with some consistency. It might make the game encourage a sort of fast playstyle.

I think it would be fun.

I don't care if it seems arcadey.

16. Fox VII

Fox VII Diabloii.Net Member

I really don't like the idea of more globes floating around the screen. However, I do think the health globes will be a great addition to the game, because they promote tactical choices due to the health/death mechanic. Regardless, this necessary evil shouldn't be used to turn the look of the game into an arcade game any more than it already has.

A better way to provide the same effect as additional globes types would be if those bonuses were random "rewards" that were instantly given by reaching high enough scores on the parties kill combo multiplier!

Hey if it's going to be in the game, it might as well be used for something other than just an experience boost. Maybe the developers could set the multiplier requirements needed to get the bonuses, based off of the enemy's "population density" or benchmark scores that good players typically achieve per zone.

I'm not really fond of random bonuses that alter a characters "power" in one way or another, but other things mentioned above that change the games playstyle would be cool.

How about a "reward" that causes the game to spawn more champion grade monsters! hehehe *evil grin ... or maybe one that gives the enemies a BIGGER agro distance! There could be other less devious rewards like one that provides a little pop up compass that leads you to the nearest unique monster, or one that reveals the rest of the zones map, or just leads you to the closest dungeon!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  17. Risingred

[BLUE="http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=18369409516&sid=3000&pageNo=1#12"]Health globes drop the same for everyone. I'm guessing mainly because snagging one heals your entire party. It would be kind of confusing if they weren't.[/BLUE]

I was right. Heh. :thumbup:

18. SysEx

SysEx Diabloii.Net Member

Health globes won't drop so much that it creates a visual problem. Adding one "rare" globe to the mix wouldn't make much of a difference.

I really think this is a great idea and I hope Blizzard is taking it into consideration.

19. BigKevSexyMan

I'm getting a lot of positive feedback here. I was wondering if someone could post this on the battle.net forums where it would get the proper attention. I would myself, but I lost my cd key.

20. SlechtWeerBeer

SlechtWeerBeer Diabloii.Net Member

I really like that drops-from-champs idea.
    Imagine finding an Exp orb from the first kill in a champ pack :)

The rare orbs should, imo, be party-wide effects, so not only those that happen to be near it get the exp boost (as an example).