Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Differences between parliament and legislature

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bordillo, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Bordillo

Bordillo Banned

Differences between parliament and legislature

I have this question for my comparative politics class, parliament is french for legislature however we are asked to show the differences between the 2. The only thing i can think of is that parliaments elect the cabinet while legislatures dont. Although that doesnt even apply to semi-presidential systems....any help guys

2. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

The two terms are often used interchangeably. If you need to draw a distinction, a parliament is what you see in the UK and Japan: people get elected to it, and the majority party or coalition in that parliament gets to choose a prime minister from among its members. A legislature in the American sense, meanwhile, is elected separately from the executive branch, so you get a national leader who isn't a member of that body.

3. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

How was this not clearly defined by the class itself or its texts?

4. DurfBarian

5. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Interesting, does "legislature" cover both houses of Congress in America? I think it covers both houses of Parliament here. Maybe it just distinguishes the two elected branches from the judicial.

6. DurfBarian

Yeah, the national legislature in America comprises both the Senate and House of Reps.

7. Module88

Module88 IncGamers Member

The real difference between our Congress and say, the Parliament in Britain lies with the representatives themselves. Parliament is much more structured- the majority party has control, period. Since party leaders essentially choose who run (and the people elect the candidates out of those that are chosen by the leaders), if you vote against your party, you can consider your political future in that party over and done with. This is vastly different than the US Congress, where decentralization rules- you can vote against your party without suffering any serious repercussions from party leaders. Furthermore, Congressmen are much more valued than their counterparts in England. They're paid more, offered greater office space and priviledges, and have more staff at their disposal. If you wanted, you could talk about qualifications for Parliament and Congress (no doubt they differ) or something lame like that, but this should get you started.

8. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Yes, that hasn't escaped my attention. I think the American system is significantly superior to the Westminster in that respect at least.