Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Difference between Vanilla and FAM

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Elldorin, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Elldorin

Elldorin IncGamers Member

Can someone explain the difference between Vanilla SP and FAM? I played FAM (using GoMule) last year, but several days ago I decided to start playing again, but I wanted a fresh start. At the moment I am not using any modifications to the game, not even GoMule. Is this what vanilla is? How do you transfer items between single player characters without using any modifications to the game? Thank you in advance.
    P.S Sorry if this is not the correct forum to post the thread to.

2. Espr

Espr IncGamers Member

sticky that details accepted modifications and utilities, what they do, and where to get them.

3. logoutzero

logoutzero IncGamers Member

To answer your questions:

Vanilla is considered a complete, standalone installation of the game, of any version. Vanilla doesn't usually exclude use of GoMule, but it depends on each individual's definition. For some, only using what comes on the install discs, with no modifications, AND ONLY that, is considered "Pure" and to others, it is "Vanilla".

For most, "Vanilla-LoD" means, you install the game, update to the current patch, and that's it.

FAM (Forum Accepted Modifications) typically means "I hacked the games files to allow B.Net only Runewords and Cube Recipes" and may also include "I use cheezy tactics, such as time travel, Hellforge rushing, or other goofy stuff."

In today's patch, runes are that dark orage color, but before, they were dark gray. We used to (and many still may) use a mod to color the names of the runes to make them easier to spot. This is where "FAM" comes into play...

The "purists" see this as giving you a distinct advantage, in that you are more easily able to spot and collect valuables, which was never intended, and therefore, not a fair way to play. But in the grand scheme of things, this (or similar mods which are generally acceptable around here) are not noted for changing the core gameplay, they are just creature comforts.

And the ONLY way to transfer items without a 3rd party program/modification is to have a friend open a LAN game for you. Technically you could use Fast User Switching and do it yourself, but Blizzard (some time ago) said this isn't okay. Technically you are stealing from them by running the client twice on the same CD Key, which basically says "I'm playing your game twice, but not paying you twice!"

TL;DR:

Yes, you are currently playing Vanilla. No way to xfer items without cheating in some way, unless you have a second machine and second installation, and use TCP/IP

Elldorin likes this.
  4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

A few nitpicks:

No, they were white before, like nonmagical stuff.

You can install the game twice (install, rename game folder, adjust icons/shortcuts, install again) with different game keys, of course and then run the other copy from a different Windows account or in a sandbox program. I paid twice and I also got a third key from a friend for free who stopped playing :p.

5. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Are there B.Net only cube recipes? I am confused - have never heard of these.

6. Espr

Espr IncGamers Member

As far as I remember, the ladder cube recipes are ladder and single player enabled.

7. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

I will argue that using time travel between 1.07 -> 1.13 is vanilla, because it can be achieved with the retail game discs. I do 100% agree that it becomes FAM once you download third party apps like Bliss version switcher to quickly time travel between eras.

pharphis likes this.
  8. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

If you play Single Player, by definition you are handicapped. You won't reach that amount of ingame wealth you are used to when you play Ladder in the same amount of time. Imo it is a fair trade by installing Runeword mod to at least be able to reach sometime in the future top ladder runewords.

So why give yourself another disadvantage?

9. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

Excluding the massive advantage of trading, building wealth is a lot faster in Single Player, especially in 1.13.

10. logoutzero

I agree, as do most, which is why Time Travel needs to be declared, and is considered "FAM." While not a mod by any stretch of the word, it does allow for some things that have purposefully been removed/modified over time for balancing reasons. And that, some people don't care for.

GooberGrape likes this.
  11. Elldorin

How do vanilla players trade without using GoMule then? Can I switch my status to a vanilla player considering the fact that I am not playing any of my FAM characters or using any of their items (I started completely fresh). Can I trade FAM items for Vanilla ones if the player I am trading with agrees and gives me vanilla only items? In other words using my old FAM items as currency to get Vanilla items from a player who wants FAM items and trades Vanilla. Thank you for your clarifications so far.

12. logoutzero

Again, it depends on your definition of Vanilla. If Vanilla excludes the use of GoMule, then the only way to trade will be TCP/IP. But I'm nearly certain that Vanilla status is still retained when using GoMule.

As far as trading between FAM/Vanilla, this is perfectly fine. But, you will become FAM by default. If I used FAM gear to farm Meph and trade it to you, then you got gear by means of FAM, and thus you are now FAM as well.

Vanilla VS. FAM items, it's not about the Realm Only Runewords. Even P.Gems earned by a FAM player are considered FAM. Everything down to Gold and TP scrolls are FAM if found by a FAM player. If you want to stay Vanilla, use TCP/IP to trade in game with other Vanilla players. Hamachi is free to use, and a really great tool for MP.

And yes, a full restart does allow you to change your MP/T status to Vanilla. Be sure to update your MP/T Profile.

13. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

Vanilla and FAM are defined by the forum rules and so personal interpretations only matter internally (ie, for that person), not when explaining the rules to others. Vanilla does not preclude the use of ATMA or GoMule in any way. FAM denotes using any of the forum approved modifications (runeword mod, red rune mod, colored rune mod, multiple instances) and all Vanilla means is the lack of those. The muling applications have no bearing on Vanilla/FAM status. At all. The only forum-approved method of trading for either Vanilla or FAM users is the mailing of ATMA/GoMule files.

A person is playing Vanilla if they installed the game, whether they patched it or not, and played it without using any of the modifications. ATMA and GoMule make absolutely no difference on whether you play Vanilla or not. Any contact ever made with any FAM items, including joining a TCP/IP game made by someone who uses any modifications or trading items with someone who uses any of the modifications will cause the Vanilla player to be considered a FAM player by forum rules, as logoutzero indicated. Questions of these subjects should be addressed by PM to Thyiad, the moderator for the forum.

Fabian likes this.
  14. Elldorin

Thank you very much. I will remain a Vanilla player then and might give away my FAM posessions (PM me if you need something in particular, I might have it although I wasn't very rich back then).