Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Difference Between 1 pt Smite n Zealer

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by ZachLap, Apr 15, 2008.

1. ZachLap

ZachLap IncGamers Member

Difference Between 1 pt Smite n Zealer

Without making me read both the big guides, what is the quick difference b/w a 1 pt smiter build and a Zealer build ? I know both have 20 zeal 20 sacrifice 20 fanta 20 HS ? So im not sure ?

2. mainaman

mainaman IncGamers Member

Re: Difference Between 1 pt Smite n Zealer

the gear?
    its called 1 pt smiter altho its same skill as zealer, but its made for ubering while pure zealer uses diff set of items.
    Zealer needs super high ar/def/dr
    uber smiter needs res and life tap

3. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Don't forget Crushing Blow, vital to an Uber Smiter.

4. ZachLap

ZachLap IncGamers Member

Ooo, Alright, My bad, Thanks a lot man!

5. churinga

churinga IncGamers Member

Why not 1pt in Zeal also? =) It seems Zeal adds even less dmg per lvl than smite...

6. ZachLap

ZachLap IncGamers Member

Good question! Why isn't there just a 1 PT zeal and 1 pt smite , i do not know?

7. ProfessionalBerg

Well, you HAVE to pour those points somewhere, and Zeal adds damage, even if slowly. Also, it adds the all-important AR.

8. churinga

I can add those spare points to more important skills, of coz. Even adding them to smite adds more damage, making those points more effective...

For AR issue, if I use an ITD (ignore target defence) weapon, it should not have problem, and VS bosses, I can just smite them (making Smite more important here).

9. nerdly

nerdly IncGamers Member

Smite only adds to smite damage. I dunno if you've ever seen a smiter try to take on a group of might enchanted extra fast/extra strong cows before, but it just doesn't go well for them.

If you're saying that you can make a viable paladin with 1 pt zeal and 1 pt smite, I don't think anyone will disagree with you :)

10. churinga

You are right :) That's why Zeal is for crowd control and quick pack killing, while Smite is for boss killing. And it should also be true that if 1pt smite is viable for boss killing, 1pt should also work for minion killing =) of coz, that 1pt in Zeal should be boosted by +skill items to at least level 5 for max number of hits.

11. ZachLap

ZachLap IncGamers Member

So whats the verdict? Should i max Zeal, cuz I already put 10 in it :-D So I would be a little disappointed to start over? But where would these points go even If i didn't max zeal? Id assume Defiance? for the better defence? Not Sure?

12. ProfessionalBerg

Put them in Zeal - with Grief, every single 1% of damage on the skill gives you some nice boost. As for the reason behind not maxing Smite instead - you'll only Smite bosses, anyway, and Crushing Blow there is what does the work, not massive damage. The damage is only to finish the slivered boss off, and then the +damage from Grief is more than enough.

13. ZachLap

ZachLap IncGamers Member

Alright, THanks man!

14. ZachLap

ZachLap IncGamers Member

Another quick question.... EbotdZ or Grief for Zealing action? and LW or Grief vs Uber Trist

15. ProfessionalBerg

You know, there is an Edit button... I am afraid double-posting is shunned on these forums.

Anyway, Grief for both. BotD cannot beat Grief PB in terms of damage, and LW is just not my favorite weapon for Ubers. I prefer the Guillaumes + Dracs combo for all the Crushing Blow I'll ever need.

16. churinga

What if I'm not using Grief? The pathetic +ED from Zeal skill is almost useless, and if my weapon has ITD, putting points into Zeal seems useless to me... :undecided:

17. ProfessionalBerg

What exactly are you using? And anyway, it's your character, but PERSONALLY, I'd pump Zeal anyway.

18. churinga

I like LW :rolleyes: Its nice mods are irresistible. And yes, the weapon I have been talking about is LW pb. And this allows you to put points elsewhere, rather than in Zeal :wink3:

But exactly where to put the extra points... hmm, maybe Smite? Lolz

19. nerdly

nerdly IncGamers Member

How about real game comparison?
    I have a rich (barely) version of the Zealot. Grief pb, fort, guillames, gores, dracs, tgods, dwarf, raven, metalgrid. I run at about 23k def without my defiance merc. I put 1 pt in salvation, the rest in defiance. I made my zealot into a WWI tank basically. Slow, but with a point on it.
    My friend went full smiter. He was done maxing smite/fanat/HS quite early, so he dropped a few in vigor, some in defiance, and a few into Zeal (at my suggestion) for crowd control. Well, he survives in crowds, but he doesn't take them out quickly. His gear is like mine, except he uses an IAS/Ed'd jewel'd Andy's, a much better HoZ and Grief, CTA+spirit on switch (I use Azure+Rhyme gilded shield). Against phys immunes he's useless. Against bosses he's quick as lightning, which is why half the time he switches out fort for enigma. My character can roll through anything, even IM - albeit slowly and carefully. His character is fairly survivable, and can take out most monsters fairly quickly. He also has a huge advantage in PvP....but in Uber Tristram, after the bosses are dead, he's stuck surrounded by the minions, so he has to tp and skulk away, while I make short work of them.
    You will do more damage with a Smiter.
    You will kill everything with a Zealot.
    Smiters max Smite.
    Zealers max Zeal. The 1 pt Smiter is a pun, because the Zealot is just not in vogue anymore. Too many people remember spending 5 minutes in the middle of a heard of mobs to eventually emerge victorious. I like them both for different reasons.

If you're really worried about your extra points why not put them in the resistance auras and raise your max resists? Or Charge? Or Conversion? Or Holy Bolt? Or FoH? I'd be curious how these variants worked out.

20. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

You are right in the sense that maxing Zeal does seem like a waste of points if you use Grief. Heck, now that I think of it, you can do ubers with 4 soft points in Zeal, 1 smite, 1 holy shield and 1 fanaticism if you use a Grief PB. What to do with extra skill points? Probe a bit further and you become a hammerdin.:laugh: