Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diet Coke with Splenda

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AeroJonesy, May 22, 2005.

1. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Diet Coke with Splenda

Well, as you may or may not know, I'm a diet soda fiend. I've drank diet pop exclusively for the past 2 years. So Coke just came out with Diet Coke with Splenda, and let me tell you, it is fantastic. It tastes about ten times more like Coke than regular Diet Coke. It still has a diet aftertaste, but it's not near as bad as from regular Diet Coke. If you love, or just drink diet Coke on occasion, you have to go grab this. I just can't wait for the diet cherry and diet vanilla versions.

2. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

Also much healthier for you...Splenda that is versus asperthane

3. txmielnik

txmielnik IncGamers Member

The real question is who are you kidding with the diet coke, i've always been puzzled with who drinks this stuff. If you really are on a diet you shouldn't be drinking coke or pepsi, if your gonna drink soda, why would you want that nasty after taste? I drink pepsi (regular mostly) but if i don't want the caffiene, i obey my thrist and grab a Sprite!

Diet? What kinda diet is this :confused:

Can't diss the splenda diet cuz i haven't tasted it, but will get back to you as soon as i do.

4. AeroJonesy

I'm kidding myself of course. I like to pretend it's real Coke or Pepsi, except this has zero calories. Let's look at some math, if you change nothing in your lifestyle, but start drinking an extra can of Coke a day (120 calories), in one year you'll have consumed an extra 43,800 calories, or 17.5 days' worth of calories (assuming a 2500 calorie a day diet). That's a lot of extra calories I don't need.

5. DanteAlastor

DanteAlastor Banned

all diet sodas contains something that inhibits brain neurons from activating action potential: (translation>>>diet sodas makes you retardedlystupid) and im not making this up. it contains (i forgot the name) but it does kill your brain cells
    when you look at the back of the diet soda it is in bold font it contains Phenaline or something (i forgot) and that chemical does kill neurons so i advice you not to drink diet sodas.

6. AeroJonesy

Phenylalanine to be exact. Which isn't in Splenda. Yet another reason Splenda is better.

I've drank diet soda almost every day (I know, bad habit) for 2 years and I would call myself far from "retartedly stupid."

7. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

Phenylalanine...one reason there's that warning on the cans is that there are people with Phenyketonuria who are unable to handle phenylalanine in their diet and cannot use it, thus it will build up and yes it will inhibit brain activity.

Most people can handle phenylalanine fine, just those with the PKU disease cannot. You usually have to either be on a phenylalanine-free diet for life, or you can slowly reintroduce phenylalanine when you have finished growing, but studies have shown that the amounts of unprocessed phenyalanine will inhibit brain growth and activity (i.e. the stupider you've said) but normal people can handle it fine. Never have seen phenylalanine = makes you stupid for everyone...

And that's good that coke is finally doing something, as Pepsi can make a diet soda that tastes good and Dr. Pepper can make a diet soda that tastes good (like the original even!) but coke still is the crapz0rs... May have to eventually try the diet coke /w splenda just to see if it's an actually passable diet drink.

8. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

sorry for being uninformed but what is splenda?
    diet coke isn't that bad actually although i am kind of addicted to coke and i don't feel the difference :lol:

9. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

It is a sugar derivative with little to no calories in it.

10. AeroJonesy

I think Splenda is the sweetener version of Olestra, Procter and Gamble's infamous fat substitute. Except Splenda has been received much better.

11. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

I picked some up yesterday! Fry's had a special 5 12 packs for $10 :D

It does taste a little different than the original, but I will glady adjust for the health benefits of no more aspartame! Why drink diet? No calories and no sugar. Quite simple!

Splenda is made of sucralose, which is not an artificial form of sugar, but a natural derivative of sugar. Not related to Olestra at all.

12. Echod16

Echod16 IncGamers Member

empty calories

13. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

Meaning???

14. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Losers. I drink Tab. It's better than a button on your keyboard, it's a soft drink!

15. AeroJonesy

That's nothing, I drink "esc" like it's water.

16. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Left, left, left right left.

If I remember my biochemistry, I believe Splenda is an L-sugar (meaning that the molecule rotates to the left under polarized light) and our bodies can only digest D-sugars. That may explain why it tastes like sugar but adds no calories: it's the L-form of common table sugar.

It does taste a little better than aspartame but it is safer (as Choogy pointed out, anyone with PKU can't take aspartame but the same cannot be said for Splenda).

17. AeroJonesy

Out of curiousity, what does the title of your post mean?

18. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Off topic but what'd ya expect?

All of my titles have something to do with the post below, but they are connected in an unusual and obscured way. As we were talking about left and right rotations of sugar molecules, the "left right left" speech of a drill sergeant had just surfaced in my mind's eye and I decided to apply it to the post.

19. AeroJonesy

20. Damotta

Damotta IncGamers Member

Splenda Schmenda. More people should try to stop consuming sugar altogether. Sugar is horrible for the human body in so many ways, it's hard to list them all.

Here's an article on the detriments of sugar. And this isnt the only source for this kind of info. I do a lot of research and read up on health often and I constantly run into studies by doctors, PHDs and the like who have all say sugar should be completely removed from people's diet.

It is tough at first, yes, but stick with it and you'll eventually NOT want to eat sugar whether it be in soda form, deserts or what have you. I used to be a soda and sugar addict but gave it up 3-4 years ago and I have only positive things to say about the experience. In fact, now I wont go anywhere near refined sugar. It just doesnt appeal to me. If I do need to sweeten something up a bit I just use a small amount of maple sugar.

Anyway, I just had to throw that out there. Splenda or not, sugar in most forms that Americans commonly eat is bad for you.

Just dont get me started on caffeine, preservatives, meat, or other dairy products...I'd never shutup lol :p