Did you sign it?

Puck Nutty

Diabloii.Net Member
Did you sign it?

I am referring to the Live 8 online petition intended motivate the leaders of the G8 nations to forgive the debt certain African nations have accumulated over the years.

My whole family "signed" it, and I was wondering who among us has done the same. Also, if you choose not to sign, what are your reasons?

Personally I think if these third world nations are going to pull themselves up out of the mire, it would really help if they didn't have billions of dollars of debt hanging over their heads. They could instead funnel that money towards infrastructure and their own economies.

Comments?

aman

Assassin Moderator
i signed it :)

are you watcing it ?

also are there any bands you would have liked to see there. i think it would have been good if oasis played :)

Puck Nutty

Diabloii.Net Member
aman said:
i signed it :)

are you watcing it ?

also are there any bands you would have liked to see there. i think it would have been good if oasis played :)
CTV (a Canadian broadcaster) is showing Motley Crue live from Barrie, Ontario right now. Man, Vince Neil is a lot fatter than back in the day.

I think I would have liked to see Dire Straits, Garbage or Radiohead. As far as North American bands are concerned, the Black Crowes would be cool (never seen them live) or Audioslave (too busy touring I guess).

So far, the London show has the best lineup by far. Although Neil Young is still set to play in Barrie, so that'll be very cool.

aman

Assassin Moderator
yeah the londen show is good

the who were really good and pink floyd are good also :)

Arbedark

Diabloii.Net Member
Is one of your children dieing every 3 seconds to preventable causes which would be rectified by eliminating that debt?

No you say?

Then kindly shut your mouth...

Arb

Puck Nutty

Diabloii.Net Member
Arbedark said:
Is one of your children dieing every 3 seconds to preventable causes which would be rectified by eliminating that debt?

No you say?

I think he was just joking around.

Puck Nutty

Diabloii.Net Member
Slight highjack, but DMC (RIP Run) is wailing on a cover of "All Along the Watchtower".

The Canadian lineup was looking pretty lame when this whole thing started, but now it's turning out to be a good show.

Puck Nutty

Diabloii.Net Member
Yaboosh said:
Pink Floyd was absolutely glorious. Please, PLEASE let them tour in the US.
It was a one time deal for charity, unfortunately.

By the way, did you sign the online petition? Just curious.

Rius666

Diabloii.Net Member
Puck Nutty said:
CTV (a Canadian broadcaster) is showing Motley Crue live from Barrie, Ontario right now. Man, Vince Neil is a lot fatter than back in the day.

I think I would have liked to see Dire Straits, Garbage or Radiohead. As far as North American bands are concerned, the Black Crowes would be cool (never seen them live) or Audioslave (too busy touring I guess).

So far, the London show has the best lineup by far. Although Neil Young is still set to play in Barrie, so that'll be very cool.
Actually audioslave did perform at the south philly venue.

EDIT: i agree somewhat with steel. We have been throwing tons of money at these impovished countries for years. Why do you think they have such a big debt? i really want to help these people and i think the best way to do it is not to keep throwing money at these countries (half of which are run by dictators), but find the source of the problem. Establish free trade or some sort of trade program to slowly help them get on their feet.

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member
I didn't and I don't plan to. We've been throwing money at that continent for years without any appreciable results. It's time to consider new ways of doing things. More accountability with the funds that are sent over, international administration of programs, that sort of thing.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Steel_Avatar said:
I didn't and I don't plan to. We've been throwing money at that continent for years without any appreciable results. It's time to consider new ways of doing things. More accountability with the funds that are sent over, international administration of programs, that sort of thing.
Honestly, though I haven't Steel's track record nor 'tar, I don't either. Instead, we tend to give to Amerindian causes - they got screwed more from the white man reneging on treaties than from their own (massive, encompassing) corruption.

I am appalled by the lively slave trade that abducts Christian North Africans for sexual or other utility by Saudi Arabian and similar Muslims. If they (the powers that be in North Africa) want my cold hard cash, maybe they should show some preventative efforts. As it is, my spiritual fellows are enslaved, released by my financial efforts, and enslaved again.

The 'powers that be' can be slaughtered by the measure they dispense, as far as I'm concerned. And these concerts go directly to them. I vaguely recall a quote that says Saddam's and Kofi's corruption regarding Oil for Food pales by comparison with the funding of vile activity in Africa.

Puck Nutty

Diabloii.Net Member
Steel_Avatar said:
You are right. Keeping an eye on the money as it is being spent is definately necessary in many cases. However, I think debt relief is the difference maker.

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, the question is why should we forgive their debt? As someone said, I'd love it if Visa called me up and said, "Oh by the way, that bill? We got it man, it's cool."

Money is loaned with the expectation that it is to be repaid. Now, I grant that the citizens of a nation are not responsible for the financial mismanagement of their leaders. However, I am not interested in listening to pleas to forgive debt that was created by those who are still in power.

Get rid of the corrupt officials, show us that you can play for real, by the rules, and I'll start thinking about supporting debt relief. Something like eliminating accumulated interest, and asking for only the original amount loaned, in installments, might be an idea.

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member
Arbedark said:

No you say?

Arb
You're telling me that if tomorrow the G8 nations up and declared that Third World debt was a thing of the past, the thousands dying each day would miraculously survive?

Wow. Forget famine, drought, disease, and SIDS. The true killer of children is debt?