Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Did i screw up my fire sorc?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Question, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Question

Question IncGamers Member

Did i screw up my fire sorc?

My level 28 fire sorc is now in act 4 but its kinda hard since everything seems to have such high fire resists.

With all modifiers, i have level 18 fire wall, level 15 fireball and level 14 warmth.

But i run out of mana incredibly fast even with max mana at 233 and regenerate mana % at 225%. For things like venom lords it can take up to 5 or 6 fireballs to kill them, which means about 1/4th of my mana.....my merc also seems useless since all the monsters just run past him to target me(shouldnt they target the closest target?).

The only thing that does damage fast enough to kill monsters now is firewall but i cant get them to stay in the flames as my merc is extremely poor at drawing aggro.

2. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

Re: Did i screw up my fire sorc?

Normally with warmth, you put one point in it until you finish synergies.

You'll run out of mana very fast regardless of warmth level, you don't want to rely on it. Not sure if you're in single player or mp, but I would strongly recommend building an insight for merc to solve your mana problems. In order to do so in sp, the single player forums have an approved mod that allows you to build ladder-only runewords.

Pure elements are always going to have difficulty. Unless you're getting rushed and doing chaos and baal runs for xp (bnet only), you're gonna find yourself stuck against immunes a lot of the time trying to level up the old fashion way.

Normally, if you plan on going through the game the old fashioned way, you need to spec into a two trees, as a single element will always come up against immunes or high resistant monsters and you want to minimize the amount of things your merc has to kill. Not only that, but its possible to get an elemental/physical immune spawn, which means possibly both you and your merc can do nothing to kill it unless you have another power.

You also want to use teleport to position your merc. Unlike other builds that require enigma, you can start using teleport at level 18 to put your merc in harms' way, and just step back a few feet and start firing.

Unlike previous versions, 1.13 allows the option of a respec, one I strongly recommend you utilize to make the rest of your leveling far more productive (and fun).

3. Millard

Millard IncGamers Member

The answer to your question is yes, your skills are totally messed up

Fire wall and fireball don't synergize eachother, never raise both on the same build. You either spec for fireball or you spec for fire wall, not both.

You'd have a lot more damage if you stuck with one or the other. (i'd recommend fireball).

another thing, act 4 is just a general pain in the *** on a fire sorc. everything has high fire res. If you're trying to solo don't go pure fire. If you're not trying to solo, you should probably get some help.

Since you're 28 now would be a good time to respec to a blizzard sorceress. That's what i'd do if i were you. Put as many points in blizzard as you can, then put the rest into iceblast as a syngery (and a decent alternate cold attack). if you have leftover points put them into icebolt to synergize iceblast and blizzard. Put a couple points into cold mastery when it becomes available.

For now i'd just go pure blizzard as pure cold kills almost anything until late hell difficulty. If you're trying to solo (not sure if you're single player or not) you'll eventually want to save ~25 points to put into firewall and fire mastery as a secondary attack (don't need to worry about this till level 55+ really). If you're not trying to solo i wouldn't bother with a secondary attack.

also don't put more than one point into warmth, if you're running out of mana you probably just need more damage not more mana.

4. Question

Dont some of the monsters in act 5 have very high cold resist?

Im single player. I was raising firewall to kill bosses/champs and fireball for single targets and small groups.

I was also using fire because i have a lot of +fire equipment.

5. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

As already mentioned, you could use meteor for boss/champ and FB for everything else and they synergize each other.

6. Question

But firewall outdamages meteor and fireball.

7. SeCKSEgai

My full tals sorc was throwing at least 5k dmg fireballs at 105 fcr. Firewall doesn't work as quickly as a FB =)

8. Tarantella

Tarantella IncGamers Member

Before respeccing in haste I would recommend losing some of the plus to fire skills gear and shopping for a staff which has glacial spike, a single point will do, with teleport as bonus skills and a 2 socket white staff with those skills would make a nice leaf staff.

Use glacially spike on left click to pin large numbers of enemies in a row just in front of your merc then minimal application of firewall to shatter them.

This setup should get you comfortably through normal and glacial spike and a 20 point firewall will get you through nightmare with a bit of effort put into equipping the merc.

Firing fireballs at enemy before they have targeted your merc will generally make them come after you especially if the merc is being swarmed.

9. Question

Yes but im talking about single player normal with nearly no FCR :(.

Why would i want to respec in haste?

10. Tarantella

Tarantella IncGamers Member

Ok but you can get through normal with minimal fcr and less than maximum investment in skills but maxing damage skills too early without investment in their synergies will cause constant mana problems.

Stealth armour, 2 fcr rings and a fcr amulet along with a resistance shield, a suitable orb and reasonable distribution of skills is all you need to progress rapidly through nightmare but too many misspent skillspoints will bring progress to a grinding halt in Hell.

Understanding synergies is the key.

11. SeCKSEgai

It's been so long since I've leveled through normal the old-fashioned way, I haven't even thought about basic strategy like that ;)

Wise advice, as since you don't have a HF merc yet, to maximize FW damage you need to keep them slow. Before respecs, poor point placement usually meant starting over.

But really, using glacial spike as mentioned above would help make things go much smoother for you.

12. Kurogane

Kurogane IncGamers Member

Why are you worrying about Cold Resistance? That's what Cold Mastery is for.

Unless you have very, very nice gear and the levels/stats to equip them. Cold can easily beat out Fire and Lightning thanks to CM in Normal and Nightmare. Unless you're set on being a Fire Sorc, switching to Cold and picking either Orb or Blizzard until you get to Hell is the easiest way to do things with a Sorc.

13. Question

Hmm then whats the point of the fire adn lightning tree?

14. Kurogane

Kurogane IncGamers Member

Simple.

Fire and Lightning work very well with Conviction and Lower Resist. Not to mention Lightning Immune monsters are easier to break, then taken down another notch with -ELR gear which is more common than the other two.

Cold has... Facets. Oh and that one helm and Tal's Set. All of which really doesn't match FM and LM combined with Conviction or Lower Resist.

With poor gear, the effect of CM is very significant compared to FM and LM. But once your Sorc gets a an Infinity, then the advantage of CM is more or less negated. Also Orb is a somewhat hard skill to use on high HP mobs. Which is why it shines in Normal and Nightmare, you can easily kill stuff by just randomly throwing Orb around. In Hell you'll need to be a bit more precise unless you have really, really, really nice gear.

15. Pailon

Pailon IncGamers Member

Here is my suggestion. I have a fire sorc at lv 75 (wewt) and so far its easy... xpt for the damn FIs... I would recommend if you want a fire sorc use meteor. I know you dont like it but it is WAY better at killing Boss/Champs then Fire Wall. Right now with all of my +fire equipment (+6 not including Ormus' Robes) and the Ormus' Robes I do 14.8k ish to 15.4k ish. Not bad for a Fire sorc. I am also not fully synergized so even without more +fire equips I should hopefully do 17k+ at lv 99. I use Meteor on right click and Fire Ball on left for easy kills. I have teleport hot keyed for FIs... Then I either a) switch Ormus' Robes depending on situation and use my ammy with +3 and 2 GC skillers and help my merc kill it or b) just leave it entirely. Teleport is a move you should invest in. Just 1 point is all you need for your running away/getting into fights needs.

16. Question

Well im using glacial spike + firewall now. Firewall does 4.5k damage per second so pretty much everything in normal dies instantly on contact with it.

The problem is glacial spike has a really low freeze radius and the damage against single targets isnt that high either. Should i keep pumping more points into glacial spike? I have one base point in cold mastery.

17. Pailon

Pailon IncGamers Member

The damage shows low and does not show you with the cold pierce (cold mastery) so like with Frozen Orb how it says 232-250 ,give or take, That actually is more than enough damage to fight most enemies. Since you need a secondary skill use which you like more. It's either lightning or cold and the only moves that don't have synergy in lightning (other than lightning mastery) is Nova. Nice fun move. Unless you like the cold damage. Then use Glacial Spike or Blizzard. I would choose Glacial due to no cooldown and I think Blizz interferes with the Fire Wall cooldown.

But it is your char. Adapt to your needs and equipment.

18. Question

Well on greater hellspawn in normal it takes like 3-4 casts fo glacial spike to kill them, thats a bit low.

Do any other cold skills freeze?