3 fire arrow
4 exploding arrow
1 guided arrow
and then 1-2 points in all the pre lvl 24 passive/magic skills

i think i messed up = /

Dacar92

Moderator: Community, D2 Zon, DH, Inc Clan Officer
Re: did i mess up my bowazon?

What are you trying to build and what gear do you plan to use?

Reticent Drappa

Diabloii.Net Member

If you are playing pvm I wouldnt worry at all. You could keep going with fire/exploding arrow (I personally skip immolation), and also put into Fa and cold arrow if you wanted.
--what are your goals for this character?

edit: Here's a link to a guide that may give you some ideas:
(It's a fire/cold build, so all the points you've spent so far would be fine.)
http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=648019]Fire/Cold zon build by Muffinman, v2.0beta

; )

Jake the Quinceeater

Diabloii.Net Member

I would say that you haven't messed up at all if you're going for a fire/cold build, but also that you haven't messed up too badly even if you are going for a guided arrow / strafe or multishot build, since there aren't that many skills you need to max out anyway.

My bowazon (a typical one, I think) has maxed multishot, guided arrow and critical strike and has one point in each prerequisite (cold arrow and magic arrow) and one point in each passive and magic skill (they are all useful). Then the remaining points have gone into dodge, avoid and evade. At most you have wasted 9 skill points if you want to go for this build (2 wasted points if you have 2 in inner sight and slow missile, 7 in fire arrow and exploding arrow), which only translates to a few percent chance of dodging/avoiding/evading at high levels in any case (in fact if my bowazon added another point to one of those skills it would not improve the chance by even 1%).

It depends both on how "perfect" you want your character to be and on how easy it would be for you to rebuild your character from scratch up to the level you are now.

lumpor

Diabloii.Net Member

That guide doesn't use immolation arrow. Wouldn't it be good if you froze all enemies with freezing arrow, and then shoot an immolation arrow, and let the enemies burn while they are frozen and unable to move out of the fire?

Dacar92

That guide doesn't use immolation arrow. Wouldn't it be good if you froze all enemies with freezing arrow, and then shoot an immolation arrow, and let the enemies burn while they are frozen and unable to move out of the fire?
That would be cool if the "burning" actually did decent damage. It is better to go straight cold/frozen and just spam frozen arrow in hell. The burning of immolation is slow in hell and if they're not frozen any longer (frozen length reduces in hell) they'll just walk right out of the burning anyway.

lumpor

Diabloii.Net Member

I'll still try that build. With enough charms the freeze length will last long enough anyway. It may not be strong, but maybe it's fun

Dacar92

Let us know how it goes. I am interested in that build too, as I have not made a fire zon in forever.

MuffinMan

Diabloii.Net Member

Im still using that bowa for pitting!
If you post your current items, we might be able to give better advice aswell.

With a fast bow with +skills(any MB will do) and a Insight merc, they don't have to be as expensive as mine either, and still be totally Hell viable.

And bowskillers are insanely cheap, very few people use them (lucky us :crazyeyes:)

galzohar

Diabloii.Net Member

Generally when one asks "Did I mess up my ---?" you can just answer "yes" without reading any of the details.

If you're not 100% sure that your build is good, it usually means it isn't a good build.

Dacar92

Generally when one asks "Did I mess up my ---?" you can just answer "yes" without reading any of the details.

If you're not 100% sure that your build is good, it usually means it isn't a good build.
I don't know why that would be true. You could make a good build by accident. We all did when playing the first year we played. Just because someone can't make OMG UBER111L33T11!! build doesn't mean it isn't a successful or fun build.

galzohar

Diabloii.Net Member

Because with the amount of horrible skills vs the amount of good skills, if you pick skills at random you're very unlikely to get a good combination. If you don't know what's good, you're practically picking things at random from a perspective of someone who knows what's good and what isn't. And if you pick things at random chances are you're going to end up with a combination that doesn't work - or at least doesn't work well in hell with minimal gear, which is usually what people who actually wonder about what builds are good will be trying to accomplish - I don't care if your enchantress can go through hell decked in every possible runeword, it's not a "good" build since you can make a much better build with 1/4 the gear.

On top of it, the person is already asking "did I mess up" meaning he already noticed something is possibly wrong. Combine that with the fact he's quite unlikely to have a good skill setup from the start and he's probably right that he messed up.

Yes there is more than 1-2 builds that can work and work well, but there are a lot more that don't work too well and even a lot more that don't work at all.

Dacar92

True, you can't pick skills at random. But there have been so many RPG's and so many people play them now. I would guess that people know that placing one point in everything isn't quite going to work. D2 is like that, Hellgate, Titan Quest, Sacred, and all other RPG's are built on the same idea. Max skills and their synergies. I guess you just have to learn which skills suck and which don't.

The OP hasn't been back since starting the thread. I'd be interested in his feedback. Many zon builds have "extra" skill points. I'd be willing to bet that character can be salvaged and be able to kill in hell.

lumpor

Diabloii.Net Member

Let us know how it goes. I am interested in that build too, as I have not made a fire zon in forever.
Sorry, I really suck at staying with characters. The farthest I've come with one is lvl 42 and I only got this one to lvl 21 before I got tired of it. It's probably better if someone else tries it, cause I can't

shinningman

Diabloii.Net Member

firezon wont work for some of nightmare and most of hell because of resists

if blizzard implemented a shocking arrow then that would be perfect for nightmare and hell with infinity merc of course

I deleted my bowazon b/c ladder resets and im going to make a fishylaggromancer to MF on ladder and then make a bowazon of some sort but not a firezon

also thanks for all the replies

lumpor

Diabloii.Net Member

if blizzard implemented a shocking arrow then that would be perfect for nightmare and hell with infinity merc of course
You can always use thunderstrokes on switch, and use their +3 to lightning bolt.