Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Did I make a mistake putting 15pts into Skeletal Mages? if

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by infinityevo, May 31, 2008.

1. infinityevo

infinityevo IncGamers Member

Did I make a mistake putting 15pts into Skeletal Mages?

I'm a skellimancer and I was for some reason planning to max skeleton mastery, skeletons and mages. Is this going to gimp me? I think the mages are fun however I realize now after putting the points in why most builds use amp damage and mostly melee damage. Ideas?

2. Jednowlosy

Jednowlosy IncGamers Member

Re: Did I make a mistake putting 15pts into Skeletal Mages?

imho they suck yes ^>^ but if you dont have great gear poison mages can indeed be a source of PMH. Cold mages are annoying though (you obviously don't want wasted corpses ;))

3. Wizdomm

Wizdomm IncGamers Member

Those points aren't wasted at all. Mages add a nice bit of damage once your geared up and you add an Infinity (conviction aura boosts mage damage and CE damage) to your merc.

4. LordHoth

LordHoth IncGamers Member

Most people focus on one or the other, Mages or RS. With the latter, you just need a might merc, Amp Damage, and a decient CE and you can clear a room very easily on a budget. Mages tend to clump near doorways and are less effective as meat shields, and typically people like to "stack" the mages with teleport to protect themselves and their Auragolem if they have one, and it focuses all the mages in one beam. So the magemancers tend to use more expensive equipment like Enigma and Infinity.

Skellymancers typically have a lot of extra points to throw around, so those points wont be totally wasted as you can summon mages to kill physical immunes that you can't break with amp (very rare).

5. BlackWerewolf

BlackWerewolf IncGamers Member

Personally, I've always liked Skeletal Mages. At least I find them very useful, but not for damage unless you focus your build around them. Poison and Cold Mages are very effective, as Poison is like using PMH on monsters and Cold slow them down. With Clay Golem, Decrepify and Cold Mages the bosses almost don't move at all.

Not to mention they are more meatshields. As skellies go to melee the monsters, you've got no summons back there in case some monster decides to sneak upon you. Skeletal Mages, as they attack from range, protecto you more.

If you're on a narrow passage and they block the other minion's way, simply usummon them. :nod:

And also, since a typical Skelliemancer build takes 40-60 points (SM and RS, and max CE too), you've got many spare points.

So no, I don't think you wasted those points.

6. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

You won't regret it when Diablo Clone pops up; the PMH from poison and the slowing from cold will help tremendously in taking him down.

7. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

With infinity their damage becomes decent. Even though not close to the skeletons damage, they're a good ranged support, pmh source and slowing source and a good way to kill physical immunes without corpses. With enigma their damage becomes very concentrated too. I wouldn't say those skill points are wasted. I would call them well spent. Of course only max them after raise skeleton and skeleton mastery. And you can get the conviction aura without any big sacrifices. Your merc needs to choose between pride and infinity, but with an aura golem, you can get the other aura. And the infinity will also help your normal skellies by giving them a bigger chance to hit, so that aura golem doesn't only help the mages

8. NumtyDoo

NumtyDoo IncGamers Member

Mages are not a waste of points, you can live without them, and go with a golem or bone armor.

I prefer mages over an aura golem, and have not really needed more BA. I have not figured out why people think mage damage sucks, if I tele-stack them, they kill the baddies before the regular skellies can get to them. Besides reg skellies and CE, there is no other skill that will get you as much damage with 20 points. You will definately notice the diffrence against ubers and DClone.

Infinity is always better than pride on your merc, even without mages.

9. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Yes, but the thing is you can get both mages AND an aura golem. 20 rs, 20 sm, 20 mage, 20 golem mastery and rest in ce will be a viable build with mages, infinity and pride. You miss out on some amp levels, and 1 point in ce, but with +skills, I think both fine as it is.

10. NumtyDoo

I would never recomend a pride golem. Golems poof sometimes.

With good gear you will not notice the difference from pride golem, except in an 8 player game.

I don't even use beast anymore and can still kill bosses in just a few seconds.

Summoners are sick overpowered.

11. Jednowlosy

Personally I think mages are a waste of time. Max them and see their damage. They deal like 1/20 lifebar damage to an ordinary monster at worldstone keep (players1 ofc.). Your merc will kill everything before your mages will score one kill. Why to put 20 points there? 1 is enough so you can use poison mages against bosses for pmh.

12. NumtyDoo

When I tele (usually blind), sometimes my tele will not land directly on top of the baddies, my mages will kill the baddies before my skellies/merc can get to them, which means I can start my CE chain sooner, which means faster area clears.

An extra 18 meat sheilds are nice too. Sure they have less life than reg skellies, but still comes out to over 3k each. Last time I did ubers, I only lost 2 mages, all the damage those mages took probably saved my merc, saving me time of running back to town.

Sure unbreakable PI's do not happen often, and when they do you can just park them and move on. With mages, you don't even notice unbreakable PI's.

Lets not forget that cold mages slow bosses, and poison mages can stop regen for (iirc) up to 10 minutes, in case you need to resummon, get pots, whatever. The last time that I fought DClone, he didn't even attack, he just stood there, by the time he got close to casting he went into "hit recovery" and was interupted, and just stood there some more.

An extra 15k a second of elemental damage makes bosses/Dclone/ubers faster as well.

Can you live without mages...easily.
    But, are they a waste....clearly not.

13. IntellectSucks

IntellectSucks IncGamers Member

:thumbup::thumbup:I love mages as well. The extra meat shields are a great point, especially when there are monsters that can tele (those annoying imps and uniques that have tele ability). It's nice to know that when the monster teles past your skellies, you have a secondary line of defense besides running. Who can argue with 15-20 extra bodies to take damage? As has been said before, poison mages+cold mages+clay golem+decrep=boss that never moves, attacks or heals.

Plus they look pretty badass :thumbup:

14. Jednowlosy

you can have those utility summons (freezing/poisoning) with 1 point put into summon mage. You most likely will have it anyway (revives, especially urdar type, are useful against bosses ;P)

15. IntellectSucks

IntellectSucks IncGamers Member

True but the OP asked if he wasted the points by putting them in mages. If you ask me, summoners are so powerful at the higher levels that it doesn't matter in the least where the extra stat points are spent, so there really isn't a way to waste points. Once you get to that point it's more of a stylistic choice in my eyes.

16. Machtu

Machtu IncGamers Member

The only regret I ever had putting some points into Skeletal Mage was prior to having an Enigma. Teleport is very important to not having the mages get stuck or block doorways. With Enigma you don't have that problem and mages will help your build. Toss in an Infinity, and it gets even better.
    Lots of good points in this thread about the mages. imo, definitely not a waste, too many advantages with little real downside. Corpse Explosion is your typical main weapon, all the summons help keep you safe and open the door so you can use it. With bosses, the more the merrier
    My biggest mistake of the build was too many points into revive. (Friend encouraged me to get lots of revives) Doesn't really hurt me though, we have lots of extra points to spend, so all in all it doesn't really matter that I did that. Plus sometimes I like to play General, and fill out all my summons/revives and lead my army.