Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Did I lose my favorite merc?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Swordchild, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Swordchild

Swordchild IncGamers Member

Did I lose my favorite merc?

Hi everyone. I've been using my act two Def Merc and love him to death. I beat normal and am now on nightmare and i get to act2 again. My merc is only level 30 and the one i can buy from the merc captain is level 35. So i say to myself, "Self, get the higher level merc" not knowing that they have different abilities. Holy freeze just doesn't do it for me. I need the double defense that the normal act 2 merc provides.

the other problem is if i go back and get the normal act 2 merc he is only level 12 where as my trapsin is 41.

Any advice or ideas?

2. Suryl

Suryl USEast Trading Moderator

Yes he is gone. In hell you can get a defiance merc again at a higher level. But for now, you'll have to live with a different merc or go to normal, buy him again and then level him.

If you do decide to level him, remember he only gets 1/3 of the exp when you kill so let him do the killing if possible. If this is east and non ladder let me know as I'm working on an enchantress and can come into your game and enchant him (it last 12 minutes right now to allow him to kill faster). If its ladder, I'm sorry to say that my enchantress isnt as far along (I only build them to help people/mercs level).

3. Subpoena

Subpoena IncGamers Member

That is a shame. I hope that you didn't lose your merc's equipment, too. Look on the bright side, you have a NM Holy Freeze merc who is closer to your level so he will catch up all the faster.

I have never made a Trapsin, myself (though I may give one a try now that the synergies seem so promising), but it would seem that the Holy Freeze will keep the creeps and ghoulies in the range of your traps longer since they'll be so much slower. Sure, you may get hit more with such a cut in defense, but there will be better armor down the line. In the mean time, the faster they die, the less likely they are to hit you. :thumbsup:

It might also be helpful to go the assasin forum and ask how you can most effectiveky make use of a Holy Freeze merc. Best of luck and happy hunting!

4. weregamer

weregamer IncGamers Member

Don't give up on Holy Freeze with your trapper quite yet. My trapper is L68 now, and she loves her HF merc. It's true that the occasional monster body shatters instead of exploding, but this is more than made up for by how much more slowly they all attack, how much more easily we can all (him, me, and my Shadow Master) run away when necessary, and how much longer they stand in my traps' lightning.

Also, a Defiance merc only increases your defense rating, which only matters on normal attacks. The things that kill a trapper are magical attacks - specifically ranged ones - and your Defense rating does nothing to them. Holy Freeze slows down *all* monsters - even Cold Immunes and Act bosses. Having tried the HF merc I just can't imagine changing to a different kind (unless I could give them Doom so they could have Holy Freeze too).

The occasional shattering corpse, depriving your Death Sentry of a body to explode, is the more expert players' most common complaint about HF mercs in 1.10 (at least if you consider posting advice on the Assassin forum a measure of expertise). But my observation is that the chance of a monster body shattering when killed *IN THIS SITUATION* goes down the tougher the monster is - unlike when using a Cold Rogue, a Cold Iron Wolf, or your own cold skills on other character types. For example, while I was leveling my HF merc in NM Act I after buying him, lots and lots of the monster corpses shattered, but these days in NM Act 5 only a few of them do. My guess is that the chance of shattering is partly based on how much cold was in the killing blow relative to the whole amount of damage and the overall monster hit points.

5. spiderman2k9

spiderman2k9 Banned

a little ot: which merc is the defiance merc? i currently have a triple aura merc (DOOM eth cryptic axe gives HF, my hammerdin gives conc, and my merc's natural aura is thorns). but i'm starting to think defiance > thorns..

6. Faye

Faye IncGamers Member

I use a HF merc along with WoI and it works wonders. Monsters move slower allowing the inferno to keep up with them.

A defiance merc is the Defensive Norm or Hell merc. And yes, Defiance > Thorns. Nothing better than not getting hit.

7. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

Unless your goal is to get hit and punish the monsters that way.

Of course, that's for a special breed of character. :thumbsup:

For the most part (99.967825% of the time), Defiance would Crush Thorns.

8. Swordchild

Swordchild IncGamers Member

Thats some good advice you guys gave me. I kept the holy freeze merc and really watched what he was doing. I adjusted my gameplay a little and now its working out so much better. Thanks guys.