Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Did I hear the word impossible?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Denton, May 19, 2007.

1. Denton

Denton Diabloii.Net Member

2. tripsu

tripsu Diabloii.Net Member

Wow, thats just scary how fast Lister and his friends went down on /p8. It takes me a good bit longer than that on /p1.

Congrats! :thumbsup:

I'm assuming this is legit. I'm sure others who know more about Baal running for time will be able to figure out if everything fits right. Nice work.

3. Bliven

Bliven Diabloii.Net Member

That is some nice gear..... CtA, Infinity in single player is rediculous.

4. DarkChaos

DarkChaos Diabloii.Net Member

Aye, and for those wondering, those are pretty standard runs. 2:30 is not especially hard to average with an Infinity 200FCR Lightning sorc.

I made one last week (99% identical to this one) and had some nice Baal competitions with Denton here, his best time is better than mine though... just wait till my Tesla is 99 and I have more time to devote to it though, honey. I'm quite sure under 2:00 (with 10 skillers) is possible even though you doubt it. :p

For those wondering, this beast's record right here is currently 2:11 while my own is a snail-slow 2:15. Not bad vids though hon, if Fraps works on this comp I'll try to make some vids myself.

You're hax for using that Beta CtA though.

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  5. Denton

Heh yeah all gear is legit, except the "hax beta CtA" which DC pointed out. :p

Aaand.. yeah, I don't have much to add to DC's post. 2:11 was lowest I managed to get, but I didn't get that on tape.

And last, and least importantly, props for the Infinity loaned for this "experiment" go to grogs. It was fun. ;) <3 *kisses*

edit: Oh and something worth mentioning might be that I got a long-term average of 2:28 on the same p1 throne, p8 minions and p3 baals running. Infinity really rocks.
    2nd edit: (1st run in the vid is 2:19, 2nd is ~2:21)

3rd edit: Better quality version will be uploaded somewhere at some point. Also, there's supposed to be text "Thanks for watching! pwn" in the end of the video, but the video stops just before that for some reason. :/

6. PetePizza

PetePizza Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not calling you out, because it may be a google video quirk, but the video appears sped-up. Baal's projectiles and the hydras in the third wave are moving too fast.

7. TouchOfInsanity

TouchOfInsanity Diabloii.Net Member

I nearly drooled watching.

8. noobintraining

noobintraining Banned

Very, very cool, Denton. I am impressed beyond words.

I never liked sorceresses, but it's videos like this that inspire me to build one.

I don't want to inconvenience you, but could I possibly see your skill point distribution? When you get around to it, of course.

Also, obviously you made quick work of Baal and his buddies, but were there any monsters (lightning immune) or parts of the game that were difficult?

9. DarkChaos

DarkChaos Diabloii.Net Member

Looks normal to me. In any case, he didn't time the runs as sped up, he used Silo's savecounter to time the runs in real time.

I should be able to help you here:

20 Charged Bolt
    20 Lightning
    20 Nova
    20 Chain Lightning
    20 Lightning Mastery
    1 Telekinesis
    1 Teleport
    1 Static Field
    1 Thunderstorm
    1 Warmth
    1 Frozen Armor

Rest of points saved up, or put in Frozen/Static/Thunderstorm/Warmth

Was I right Denton?

10. Denton

I just checked the uncompressed video frame by frame, and at least both the CtA switch and primary switch casts happen at exactly the correct rate; 8 frames, or 320 milliseconds for CtA, and 7 frames, or 280 milliseconds for the primary. Also, the length of the videos is the same (5:21). I checked the cast rate at the Hydras too, when I was teleporting around the hydras, and the cast animation lasts 7 frames like it should. The video is recorded at 25 FPS, it's frame-matched to D2's animation, except occasionally when there's lots of stuff on the screen there is a few frames dropped, and this does not mean that the video hops over those periods at a faster rate, but that the picture redraw rate is slower (same frame is shown 2 times in row for example).

I can't measure the google video that accurately, but judging from it's length, which is the same as on the original (5:21), I'd say it runs at normal speed.

@ DC: You were absolutely rite, sir. So far I have 1 saved point. Still haven't decided where I'll put the remaining ones. Static is tempting.

@ noobintraining: With the Infinity, I can't say that any part of the game was problematic. Except Undead Stygian Dolls. I hate them. Lightning's slow cast rate is a killer vs. them. It's not their normal attack, but the death explosion. Without Infinity the sorc still does very well, but being a single element sorc, it's often better to just ignore and skip some monsters, but if something is needed to be killed, merc with Reaper's does that job very well on players 1 at least.

11. grogs

grogs Diabloii.Net Member

12. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas Diabloii.Net Member

I can't imagine you sitting comfortably behind your pc for this...

13. tripsu

tripsu Diabloii.Net Member

This is a little bit of a noobish question, but why kill Baal on players3? It seems like you took him down so fast that it would only take a few more seconds on players8 and you'd get a good bit more experience, right?

Congrats again. I just started my lightning sorc for Cow Killing, and maybe one day when I'm rich I'll be able to optimize her like that. :thumbsup:

Is sub 2:00 possible? I guess Baal waiting to cast his minions may make that impossible, because it sure didn't look like you had any time to spare on those runs. Its hard for me to imagine that your best is 8 seconds faster.

14. grogs

grogs Diabloii.Net Member

Baal gives the same EXP on any players setting 3 - 8. It's a glitch that's been well known in Baal running circles for a while.

15. Denton

@ tripsu: Players 3 Baal gives the same amount of experience as Players 4-8. edit: pwnt by grogs :]

Sub 2:00 might be possible by using 10 skillers. But it can't get much lower than 2:00, maybe 1:59. I was using 8 skillers, and with those the minimum possible is probably about 2:05. Near 2:10 times require quite good monster spawns already, so it requires a lot of tries to get really good times.

16. nebux

nebux Diabloii.Net Member

hax! this isn't SP.
    /varnish

17. Tupsi

Tupsi Diabloii.Net Member

Uh, oh, they fall so quickly :shocked:

18. Serdash

Serdash Diabloii.Net Member

GG indeed. I need to try this on my own lightning sorc, although she's built quite differently and doesn't have 200% FCR. Might need to make a few trades to get the proper equipment for that.

19. Klæmint Vágadal

Klæmint Vágadal Diabloii.Net Member

Very nice, Denton :thumbsup:

/KV slaps Denton around with a Sparking Of Vita +39 :wink2:

20. krovak

krovak Diabloii.Net Member

The video is really impressive. After seeing the speed of your skill-switching I will definitely try to get used to hotkeys instead of mouse wheel:rolleyes:

I have never tried to optimize my baal-runs' time, more likely I was trying to get a compromise between MF and killing speed. After seeing this video, I will definitely try to measure my best time with non-MF gear.

Could you please post more detailed description of the gear you are using on both the sorc and her mercenary?

Edit: And btw I've seen you typing "/players 8" while waiting for the first wave to spawn. You can speed it up using up arrow, if you know how to make the game remember the command from previous runs. It will not shorten your run times, but it will save you a few keystokes(and you may pick up one or two additional piles of gold:grin:)

@KV: Gib:tongue: