Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Did anyone find a solution for messed up avatars?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Damotta, May 11, 2005.

1. Damotta

Damotta IncGamers Member

Did anyone find a solution for messed up avatars?

I just recently came back to these forums (good to be back btw :D ) and I've noticed that most of the avatars are all screwed up. They either have blocks of colors randomly assorted or the pictures are stretched in different places to the point where I have no idea what the picture is. I did a search of the forums and the best post I could find on the subject was this which doesnt explain how to fix the problem.

I was able to fix my own avatar by re-loading it, but that's as much as I could fix. So...is there a solution to this problem that I missed? I mean, it's not the biggest problem in the world, but avatars add a nice bit of flavor to accompany the colorful posts here on these boards.

2. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Yeah, everyone should just re-upload theirs. It's easiest on everyone that way. nd I think some people like the funky looking version and would like to keep it.

3. Fearlessone

Fearlessone IncGamers Member

I agree with Damotta, its impossible to find info about them, to get them fixed. What do u mean by re-loading them? I keep seeing this box that says: 'x fearlessone's avatar'. When I go to the User CP and try to find the list of avatars from whence I got mine 6 months ago, there is no such list. All I see are WoW and GuildWars choices. Well, I can click on the button for 'Letter 17' and then click 'save changes' and then nothing happens. When I look at the WoW choices, alternating rows of them have this same 'x' in a box, like its been 'x'-d out.

It seems that for some time now, many avatars have been randomly scrambled. I thought that this was some modern art, lol, seems otherwise.

Has my avatar selection been reamed off the list of possible choices here at this website? Guess a search thru the internet might help.

4. Damotta

Damotta IncGamers Member

Try uploading an avatar off the Net or one off your computer and see if it shows up. My guess is that the listed ones have been removed. Why? I have no idea. An explanation from the mods would be nice.

5. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

<Looks at avatar>

<eerie music starts playing>

<A voice rings out>

6. Madness

Madness IncGamers Member

I was kinda sick of mine, and I think I like it this way. So for now Im keeping it like this.

7. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

wait is my avatar alright? Because I've heard people saying that their avatar looks fine but other people see it all blurred and stuff.

8. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

mhl12 : ur s is fine

llad12 : what on earth is that text from ? sounds like i have to read it :)

9. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Ahem ...

The opening lines to the Outer Limits - a scifi anthology tv series from the early 60s. Had some great scripts; but like its rival, The Twilight Zone, the quality of production and writing could vary wildly from week to week. It was produced (during the first season anyway) by Joseph Stefano who was sort of a golden child in Hollywood at the time due to the strength of his screenplay for Hitchcock's Psycho.

The narrator for the original show was the late(?) Vic Perrin, often referred to as simply "The Control Voice."

A new version came out in the 90s and generally got good reviews; I only cared for the original though.

Sorry for hijacking a question that wasn't even directed towards me; I simply couldn't resist. :thanks:

10. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

thx for not being able to resist :) too bad i dont have a tv

11. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

I have fixed mine several times but it keeps going bad.

I thought there was a link about it somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

It will work itself out in time I suppose.

12. Fearlessone

Yeah, it would be nice. I kinda like the one I selected. It had a letter with a skulled demon on the seal. It has become a personification of self, which is what avatars are all about anyways, and I would like to see my'self' again, instead of being in the 'x' files...

Amra - urs looks like most of the one's having problems: scrambled modern art, some junk on the top with a blue-green sea below.

I tried last nite to do searches looking for sites that have free avatars, no such luck. Either i found some Asian Indian deep avatar theology or a few sites with limited lists of them.

13. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

i just fixed mine. found a new one and just replaced it. it works :thumbsup:

14. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

i think they get messed up when we move servers or other forum changes are made. which happens quite alot, i noticed...

just cause someone asked why this could happen

15. Mr.Popo

Mr.Popo Banned

i should get an avatar of Hitler's face so u will think that it's messed up or not. :D

16. piff

piff IncGamers Member

I'm with Amra. I fixed it once or two times already. If it needs fixed in the future, I'll do it then. Not to mention I'm way too lazy to do it now.

17. bustme

bustme IncGamers Member

And to think for the first month or so I thought blurred avatars was the new thing or something....

18. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

yeah, I fixed mine a while ago but it went bad again. I'll leave it for a while this time. Viking kittens cannot be killed by stretching anyway.

19. Damotta

Damotta IncGamers Member

That's viking kittens in your avatar? Coulda fooled me.

20. Fearlessone

How to do it!

That looks like the Time Machine trying to get thru a bed of eroding granite.

Anyways, I SOLVED my avatar problem. I know for a fact that the avatar was stored here on the rpgforums site, but of course that link is gone. So there wasnt any way to access it. However, I finally found the image last nite doing a search thru Google. Altavista didnt help, and I was about to try some of the other search engines. I went to Google and pressed 'Image' and then 'advanced search' on the home page. That brought me to the 'Image advanced search' engine. So I typed in: 'Letter 17'. Now this phrase was left to me on the 'edit avatar' page here at the User CP, although it couldnt access the deleted or disabled files.

'Letter 17' gave me 12,000 results, mostly images of real letters, so I entered the descriptor 'avatars' under the 'related to...'. Bingo! The image showed up, and I was able to save it to the desktop and transfer it to diabloii.net. Now whats interesting is how did Google have access to the image at this time, but not diabloii.net? Google told me that the image was stored at forums.rpgforums.net. But of course that site is disabled. So I suppose Google had this all pre-searched and saved somewhere for quick results later.