Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diary of a Deadman

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by SlaaneshBen, Jan 29, 2004.

1. SlaaneshBen

SlaaneshBen IncGamers Member

Diary of a Deadman

So I recently started a Necromancer, sort of a side project from my IK barb, which i have become frustrated with due to the.... lack of IK armour. Shaftstop is a great substitute, dont get me wrong, but the full set.... ahhhh....

Anyway, I digress.

My necro brief to myself ran something like this..

1 Had to be fun
    2 Visually Spectacular
    3 Not so many minions
    4 not for MFing or anything like that, pure play character

So I decided to go with a boney-bomb-o-mancer, as i like to call him. His main skills are CE, BSpear (at the mo, still below lvl 30) which will then be BSpirit, Poison Nova. Curses are subverting ones, Confuse, and Attract, to keep them off my back, since I wont have many minions( though I percieve this as a possible problem in higher difficulties). A high bone wall would perhaps be useful, but this takes skill points from my offensive spells, but keeps me alive. A balance....

Another consideration is that this necromancer will be playing in a team eventually, with an Avenger pala and a Bowazon. But not always....

Enough about skills.

So far playing with this necro has been a challenge and a half! With nothing to soak up the on rushing hordes, my sanders boots have saved my bacon more times than i can remember! But its fun... My battle to kill Izual by myself was pretty epic! I do like Bone Prison, which I invested a SP in. its handy, but I am not sure about long term use of this skill PvM, and sometimes some people can get irate when they get trapped in with the monsters after I cast it.... :D

SO. I will be updating this thread occasionally with how things are going with my necro. Including an equipment breakdown at some point, ideas for future equipment, perhaps some questions on value of certain items (trade and usefulness).

A great help would be bargain basement equipment.

I can do a white wand(need to find a suitable host for the runes), till then its a Umes Lament, I have some frostburns for him and a lidless, a spirit shroud, and using the unqie bonehelm, with a Shako Lore helm ready for him already.

Any recommendations on improvements, other bargain items (if they could be dropped by NM Baal, the best thing i can MF without bother at the moment, that would help)

Any recommendations on tactics, ideas on the build, yeah and just stuff like that, thatd be really awesome!

Cheers

Ben

2. 47thRonin

47thRonin IncGamers Member

For curses I think you might want to go with decrep, or lower resist if it lowers magic resistance (I forget whether or not it does).

-47thRonin

3. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

No it doesn't. It is a synergy for your offensive spells. Improving Bone Wall = Improving Bone Spirit.

4. AG_T2T

AG_T2T IncGamers Member

Cannot be frozen

I like to have one "cannot be frozen" item on my necromancers, since avoiding to be in the frontline ( aka run like a chicken :) ) is a main concern if you're not a meleemancer ... Are you gonna choose a strong golem ?

5. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew :drink: and feel free to raise some corpses.

There is such a thing as a strong Golem? Besides Clay's HP and Slow ability they suck in 1.10.

6. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Golems have for the most part been mostly about their tanking and their "secondary ability".

They've never really done good damage IMO, except for iron, back in 1.09, but that was his "secondary ability".

Lower Resistance no longer lowers magic resistance.

Use dim vision as well, it's a useful curse indeed.

7. SlaaneshBen

Ah excellent news about Bone Wall Synergy.

I just found some Trang Gloves, which will help out immensely, and a rare head with +2 all skills, as well as small all resists and a few other things.

Cheers for the hints. I'm gonna go do some Necro now, I'll report later with how it goes.

EDIT : In Act4 Normal I am very effective I have discovered, at lvl 26. I am able to take on even large groups of monsters, though I am an absolute mana junkie. I go through piles of it.

Which is therefore why I have done this edit, for kit hints. Trang Gloves or Frosties? I go through loads.... of mana. I regularly have to go back to town for potions, especially when there are people in games I dont know who tax the mana potions before I have chance to grab them.

Trang gloves are awesome, and curses make an integral part of this build - I hide behind wall, they then fight each other as I BSpear or BSpirit. I will be using Poison Nova, cos that combines well with the wall/curse/nova/Spirit tactic i think will be effective, so the extra damage from that will be useful.

Where as the massive Mana booost from the Frosties will help also, meaning I can cast more spells,but not as effectively!? :xx:

You can see my problem. Any help would be massively appreciated (as it mean the Trangs can be traded, or the Frosties can go to my future sorc)

Ben

8. 47thRonin

47thRonin IncGamers Member

I say go with Frostburns. Besides, most of the items slots allow for +necro skills, and there are more +necro skills items out there than there are for any other class.

-47thRonin

9. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

Forget having Poison Nova first of all, you have made it kind of clear you are heading down the Bone path. Also, because you don't have many minions, I would just go with Bone Spear and then Bone Spirit (max both), put 1 into Bone Armor and max Bone Wall.

As for curses, put 1 into ALL of the middle row and right side...and 1 into Dim Vision, since it seems this is for PvM. Hope you only put 1 point into Corspe Explosion.

Bone Wall adds to your Bone Spirt and Bone Spear damage (as was posted by someone else in this thread), and also adds to your Bone Armor damage received....so makes it kind of important in my book either way.

Once you get Bone Spirit and Bone Spear higher, you will see the damage it does improve alot.

HoS

10. SlaaneshBen

OOps!

Well, I followed very little of your advice you just gave now, but I have gone lvl 27 already before you posted, so I think the next necro I do like this will follow that advice to the letter. Cheers HoS!

Trang Armour - Is it useless to me? It has +2 summoning skills on it, which is kinda pointless given the type I am doing.

Also, Pus Spitter, the Necro Crossbow. Useless? I think it might just be.

Any valuations on these items would be great.

I have been doing a little through the bloody foothills of late, and finding I am immensely good when soloing. Once one monster drops, I am popping it and causing havoc. I am still struggling with mana, but I think I will be till I can use my Frostburns, which I think may just have a big impact!

Ben

11. Dazuni

Dazuni IncGamers Member

do not ditch the TO Plate, think of Hybrid.

I also have a bonner that is more a hybrid
    I have given up the idea to have marrow walk. so I have

Max BS and BS
    max BP
    Maxing BW
    will have 13 - 15 on teeth

I have all curses, and 1 in skelly, skelly mast, and magi.

as I said, think of hybrid.

I probably made a mistake to have the summon tree, if I can pick again I put 1 in clay and 1 in GM.

It is not hard to get a GolemLord Wand and have mod on it that give you things like revives and Fire Golem. same to head shield and ammy.

I have a GolemLord Wand with +2 Revives and +1 FG. most of my Necro life I don't use them, that is until high level partying with other people. With all the + skill gear it juice up to + 11 revives. 6 magi and 5 skelly. Magi and skelly dies too fast in hell, but revive are cool. And skill:revive is 1 to 1, unlike skill : skelly is 3:1.

doing hell act 3 4 and 5 solo are pain to do, act 2 there are magic immune that force you more or less to party. besides, why solo when you can have party fun??

if you party with the others, they more or less hate BP unless it is at boss or Ancients. and at 6 players, hell monster are really from hell, even if your necro doing 2.2k damage per spear. You will find you mana run out very soon.

So what I did was to swap Gear to a summoner, summon revives and do some major cursing. That helps a lot, party member dies lot less when my revives are there, they kill faster as I curse the monster and I also saved loads of mana potion for boss.

At boss time change back to full boner with BW BP jam the boss, first rule of any war: without mobility, you are already dead.

I hope that make you rethink about the TO plate and the flexibility of bonner in party.