Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diamond+staff+kris+belt

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by In the name of Zod, Jul 31, 2010.

1. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

Diamond+staff+kris+belt

Never tried this until recently and was quite surprised by the result. You can procure a very nice rare polearm for a merc or player running through normal. Probably not quite as nice as an insight but its a nice free roll at a rare. Those who play untwinked would probably know what I mean. The neat bit is is that nothing even needs to be magical or rare to begin with you just collect some junk and before you know it your merc is a killer.

2. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Re: Diamond+staff+kris+belt

The resulting Savage Polearm can't roll rare. It's still a very nice recipe though. If untwinked, you save all your chipped diamonds and have a rolling spree. Usually, there would be a new merc weapon for immediate use, with at least one higher damage weapon for an upgrade once he reaches the higher dex/str reqs.
    Also, it isn't as good as a Polearm Insight (especially if a caster/sorc char where the merc is merely a walking hp/mana regenerator,) but the cubed results can be used until level 27, when Insight becomes available to RWM/twinked chars.

All the recipe ingredients can be bought cheaply. Fara sells Kris' and Belts, and Drognan often sells cheap staves.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  3. potter

potter IncGamers Member

In my experience, any type of belt works (sash/belt/light belt etc), so I usually go for the cheapest.
    Sash at Charsi, 54 gold.
    Short Staff at Akara, 151 gold.
    Kris at Fara, 1104 gold.
    + chipped diamond.
    = 1309 gold.

(I pick a prayer/defiance merc as they have better stats than a thorns one)
    Generally the best weapon I can hope for at the start of act 2 is a savage Halberd. Can be equipped on merc at lvl19 (Savage prefix req is lvl19) with 1 more str. A Polearm can be equipped with no extra stats.
    My next weapon should be Lochaber Axe or Bill. A Lochaber Axe needs 2 more str at lvl21 while the Bill needs 10 str at lvl25. Requirements can be met easily.
    And finally a Partizan. A Partizan is rarely ever equipped at lvl23 as it requires another 6 dex and 32 str (though it is doable if you're lucky with amethysts and emeralds), at lvl27 the dex requirement is met allowing you to only focus on str.

I use a 3os Ring Mail/Breast Plate and 2os Cap/Helm to help meet these reqs.
    One of the suffixes I hope for are: Life leech,ias or cold damage.

Merc has saved my butt countless times in untwinked play.

4. Evasive

Evasive IncGamers Member

I have used this recipe before on untwinked play, as has been said saving up the chipped diamonds to roll a savage polearm.

Playing a sorceress, I was picking up all the staffs anyway to try and find one with a decent roll on +enchant so I had a decent supply of staffs. I actually found that the limiting drops were the Kris's, and I obviously forgot that you could buy them from Fara. :whistling:

I rolled a savage Halberd for my merc to use, and now I am using a savage battle scythe which rolled 80ed.

5. The Lord of Darkness

The Lord of Darkness IncGamers Member

Yeah, this is pretty much what I do untwinked unless a better option presents itself. It usually does not so it's good until (like mentioned) Insight becomes available.

6. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

As has been said, this is great for untwinked and thus usually tourney play. But I generally use flawed diamonds since the chippies get rolled in the 3 chippie recipe. Also good to save up your amethysts because you want to roll a Partizan that you merc cant use straight away. The extra Strength will get him wielding the more hurty stick faster. (looks like Potter already covered this more precisely)

7. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

I've used this in untwinked unless IO have runes for Malice. If I have moron gets it in Act 2.

8. In the name of Zod

I can't find a 4 sox polearm although I don't use shops. Is that where you guys are getting them? Kris's are hard to come by, all the other items just end up lying around the stash piling up. I got pretty excited on my first use of this when a savage lochaber axe of swiftness appeared (10-99 dam fast attack level 26 req).

9. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

Do you mean 4 socket polearm for Insight? I usually don't have my mana stick up and running until Act 5. I just pick up all grey polearms as I'm questing. The Sol rune used to be the limiting factor for me, but it seems with 1.13 I had three Sol runes before I had a 4OS polearm.

You can find Kris's easy enough in Act 2. But as has been said they're pretty cheap to purchase off of Fara, and they're always in stock. Only thing you really need to keep around are diamonds. I buy a white staff (or pick one up if I have room and am going back to town) and gamble belts because that slot is usually lacking throughout normal difficulty anyway.

10. potter

potter IncGamers Member

All items from the recipe (except diamonds) are shoppable. Kris from Fara in Act 2 (weapon page 2 iirc).

4 socketed polearms cannot be dropped in normal nor can you shop them.
    You can however Larzuk a white voulge/scythe/poleaxe/halberd/war scythe with an ilvl of 26-40(Arreat Plateau and further). This will ensure 4 sockets. You can also try to cube socket it, though you may end up with an unwanted number of sockets.

11. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Hmmm. Just checked and potter is right. Just tried a Plated Belt and it worked, so belt can mean any belt. Updated previous post. :)

12. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

I'm pretty they can be dropped in normal. I think I got my mercs current halberd Insight in the Arreat Plateau (ilvl is 36). If you can get the white base there for Larzuk to socket, why not the socketed version?

13. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

AFAIK items are limited to 3 sockets when dropped in normal, not due to ilvl, just a limiting factor in the game. You can still get 4soc Larzuk items in normal, under the right conditions.

14. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

My understanding: to get 4 sockets the item has to come from Nightmare, to get 5 or 6 it has to come from Hell. Normal Laz will socket a white to it's maximum regardless as to where it came from or what it is.

15. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

The AS states that sockets are limited to 3 in Normal and 4 in NM. I believe this is incorrect, and that it does in fact depend on item level (or at least, I've been told multiple times on this forum that only the ilvl is important). Mind you, I have NEVER found an item in normal with more than 3 sockets, and it should be possible for any monster type of base level 26 or above (24 and above for Champions and 23 and above for Uniques), of which there are plenty in Normal. So I suspect that what I ahve been repeatedly told is incorrect.

16. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

The ilvl cap and the difficulty cap for number of sockets are two different things. The first decides how many sockets an item can have, the latter decides with how many sockets an item can spawn with (at the moment of creation, not by cubing or bringing it to Larzuk socketing).

It is possilbe to bring a white item dropped in Normal to Larzuk and get 4 sockets if the ilvl allows it, but it isn't possible that that item drops with 4 sockets in Normal.

17. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

That is not the answer I've gotten when I've asked that exact question here in the past. ;)

18. In the name of Zod

I believe the hand puppet. So cute.

19. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

It's even possible to get 5 os weapons in normal. At least military pick can get 5os if it's ilvl is between 26 and 40. And those ilvls can drop in normal.

Btw. military picks under 26 ilvl get 4os.

But all this only for white items in cube or from Larzuk. Normal socketed item drops is maxed to 3os and nightmare drops for 4os.