Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diabolic Hoard: Diablo 3's new Mega-Chests

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

[​IMG]

[caption id="attachment_384964" align="alignright" width="187"][​IMG] For the hoard![/caption]Though the name sounds like a WoW clan, the Diabolic Hoard is actually a new mega-chest added to Diablo 3 in Patch 2.3. These giant blue-tinted chests appear (after the boss' death) only in a few special boss levels, and only when those bosses are featured as a Bounty.

The Hoards were incredibly impressive early in v2.3 on PTR with the +2000% legendary drop rate, since they would fountain about a dozen legendary items each time. Literally, I'm talking 12+ legendary items each time, plus stacks of gold and gems. Even with that inflated drop rate, it was worth it to hit that one bounty in each act, since no other way could you collect such a slew of legs so quickly. (Plus the boss would usually drop 2 or 3 legs as well.)

Now that drop rates are back to normal, the Diabolic Hoards are spitting out mostly blue and yellow items, plus gems and gold, with only an occasional legendary to spice things up. They're basically a triple sized golden chest, and are mostly useful as a source of yellow and blue materials, if you've got room to fill your inventory with salvage trash. The utility of these chests fades as you progress in levels, but they are extremely helpful right at the start of a season, when players need materials for crafting.

Click through for a list of which bosses get one of these chests when they roll as a bounty.

Where and When

There is, at most, one Diabolic Hoard chest in each Act. I've never *not* seen one per act in Patch 2.3 in Acts 1, 2, 3, and 5. (There's never more than one per act in the same game.) Usually Act 4 has one also, but I have seen two games where none of the five bounties in A4 were Diabolic Horde eligible. Note that these chests are *only* found when the boss is a bounty in that game. If you go to that area when the boss is not a bounty, you can kill the boss, but you will not find one of these huge chests.

Valid bosses where Diabolic Hoards may be found.

• Act One: Skeleton King, Queen Araneae, The Butcher.
    • Act Two: Maghda, Zoltan Kulle, Belial.
    • Act Three: Ghom, Siegebreaker, Cydaea, Azmodan.
    • Act Four: Rakanoth, Diablo. (I've not yet seen Rakanoth, but commenter says he has.)
    • Act Five: Maghda, Malthael. (Maybe also Urzael? I've never seen him yet as a bounty.)

The chests are basically a novelty once you're well-geared and have materials, but these are amazing resources early in the season, offering enough rares to upgrade almost every item slot for an untwinked character. Plus, with crafting now the best way to obtain weapons in the early going, the materials from one of these chests make a huge difference to a low level character. Mark them in your mind for the launch of Season Four.

Diabolic Hoard: Diablo 3's new Mega-Chests:

[gallery link="file" ids="384962,384955,384961,384960,384958,384959,384956,384957"]
    Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  2. Symphonicwhacko

Symphonicwhacko IncGamers Member

I must say that I did have Rakanoth as a bounty and did receive one of these chest from him.

3. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

"...for the launch of season *four*"

4. altermaven

altermaven IncGamers Member

Also, the "Maghda" in Act 5 should be "Adria". Flux was probably in a hurry typing this. It happens!

5. sneakytails

sneakytails IncGamers Member

I dont want uber chests, I want all legendaries to be be legendary and actually have affixes, useful ones as well.

There no need for this chest type until this problem is resolved.

6. PrvtPiLe

PrvtPiLe IncGamers Member

It should at least drop one legendary guaranteed. What are they afraid of? That people will spam farm it? I think it's a little too late to be concerned about those things when people are able to speed-run GR50 next season. As it is now it's basically, as you say, a golden chest, which, I might add, I literally would not have known the proper name of those chests had you not written it there because that's how much anybody ever cares about 'Golden' chests. Half the time you don't even click on them. If they want to make other content besides GRifts enjoyable, then they need to make it, you know, enjoyable.

7. Kyrandia

Kyrandia IncGamers Member

I admit never paying any attention to story/lore in Diablo games, so I may very well be wrong, but shouldn't Act V be Adria instead of Maghda?