Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diabloii.net's Own Realm

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Smith, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Smith

Smith Banned

Diabloii.net's Own Realm

I propose we all make a fund to buy a server and give diabloii.net a realm for people to play on who'd like to get away from battle net.

This would be an excellent opportunity to leave the span bots, the botters, the dupes, the childish behavior and just start a new.

We'd need a strict team of administrators, which I'd like to fill a part, and technical forums for the realm concerning anything that needs assistance, I.E. realm downs for someone or cannot connect.

Thoughts, opinions?

2. Ferrous

Ferrous IncGamers Member

Perhaps I'm too cynical, but I doubt it'd happen. The community is great here....but we're all just too lazy.....

3. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

then there are like what 40 people on at a time?

battlenet is full of people and is more fun.

4. Ferrous

Ferrous IncGamers Member

Besides, we wouldn't have anything to complain about except for perhaps character imbalances....

5. oscarmk1

oscarmk1 IncGamers Member

Well i think the hardest thing is buying the server, and then who is gonna keep paying for it?

6. .EYRIS.ONE.

.EYRIS.ONE. IncGamers Member

hmm thats sort of a cool idea but would you really like to be playing a game with heaps of rules and regulations and if you break 'em your out -.-

sure b.net has its problems but its still pretty cool theres so much funny stuff that goes on.

:thumbsup:

7. Reggitsan

Reggitsan Banned

Hey, I just so happen to have a couple thousands dollars to spare, too..

[/Sarcasm]

8. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

Maybe anyone could give that fella Bill Gates a call? I've heard he's kind of rich and I thought if he maybe could just donate a bunch of servers and a few programmers. :)

9. ericbres

ericbres IncGamers Member

:lol: :scratch: :lol:
    So ... you are thinking we should have our own realm funded by the folks in here in the forums.
    You DO realize there are 7 posts so far before mine ... and not one person who actually donates to the forums, right?
    If people won't kick in a couple bucks for the forum ... why would they pay for their own server?
    (yes, I am being comidically sarcastic)

Anyhow ... all in all not a bad idea. Back in my QuakeII days I ran my own server from work on a T1 line (helps if the IT manager is your drinking buddy). It was a blast to always be playing with guys you know and trust. :buddies:

10. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

If I had any money at all, I'd make me a Pal first.

11. Aerin

Aerin IncGamers Member

If I had money I'd probably get World of Warcraft.

Heh. I got me no principles.

It's a nice idea man, but ultimately unfeasible. Gonna have to stick to LAN and private games (or even Single Player, heaven forbid) if you truly hope to avoid the idiots.

12. Schwhat

Schwhat IncGamers Member

Interesting concept, but it'll never fly.

Also interesting how you would volunteer to be one of the people with power moderating this too... :p

Servers hardware is expensive but not as much as it's upkeep. Even Elly would tell you that performance wise for just hosting forums and nothing else is very strenuous. Upkeep and repairs cost an arm and a leg and (from a TV commercial) and bandwidth costs for hosting in 2 words... 2nd Mortgage.

Notice that all those non Bnet realms are no longer there and those that remain allow only a few to join at a time along with log in.

13. Reggitsan

Reggitsan Banned

I don't see the point of donating to the forums. I can live without the flashy title. If the forums were gone one day, I wouldn't be upset. It's simply not as important as clean realm. I'd be willing to donate if I knew we could do it.

14. Smith

Smith Banned

If you'd not like to pay for a server we could use the program that sets your computer up as a realm. We'd need a few computers for about 100 people, maybe 3 people. But it wouldn't take hardly any resources from you and you could still play on the realm aswell.

15. skilledlord

skilledlord IncGamers Member

interesting idea, it would be neat, but i doubt it will work.

16. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Speaking of servers :)

I work at an ISP, and I've just got the go-ahead to make an UT2004 Server out of our spare server. It just so happens that our spare server is a Dual Xeon machine with 4 gigs of ram. Also, it's on our testing circuit, which is basically a dedicated DS3... this would normally cost several thousand dollars per month. But not for me! :)

17. Ducky

Ducky IncGamers Member

heh...

"This would be an excellent opportunity to leave the span bots, the botters, the dupes, the childish behavior and just start a new."

Take a look at some account names around here, 1/4 of them match account names at Botting forums, and places where teaching the art of spam is nature. Infested internally.. Sorry to tell ya mate

18. Smith

Smith Banned

"We'd need a strict team of administrators"

Which means we'd be watching everyone ;).

19. djmilhaus

djmilhaus IncGamers Member

It's been tried, way back before LOD... called BnetD for those that recall. Blizzard sued and got them shut down (more because they were a bunch of students who couldn't afford legal counsel). They reverse engineered battle.net and were getting a pretty good size user base, so Blizz said no. Mods are totally different in Blizzard's eyes for some reason...

20. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

I have a accounts on most "hacker" forums, and someone has my name on a few, which forces me to take "the_real_usufruct". Fun stuff.