Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diabloii.Net Server Move About to Happen

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Rushster, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Rushster

Rushster Administrator

This is a Diabloii.Net technical announcement! Over the next 48 hours we are moving our servers to a new host and also to a new continent. For the past seven years the servers have been located in Germany and this week they will be migrating over to the US once again. This latest measure is an effort to streamline the site's overheads. You may remember a few months back we mentioned that the site was now in charge of its own finances and this our latest move to reduce costs.

We hope there will be no downtime but you never can tell with these things. There are a few things we need to sort on the site but we are waiting until the move is complete before tackling those. I am currently pushing the server hamsters as hard as I can!

We would also like to thank everyone who has become a PAL in the past couple of months. Your help is appreciated and it goes some way to making sure we don't have to rely on the flailing ad market. It won't be long until ads dry up even more, ad rates get dropped further, and more ads get blocked by visitors. We encourage anyone who enjoys what we do here to subscribe because it helps secure this site's future.
    Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

2. DaveTheBrave

DaveTheBrave IncGamers Member

I have recently started to systematically block ads (almost) everywhere, but I don't feel bad doing it here since I'm a subscriber. To be honest, I don't really feel bad doing it anywhere given the out of control intrusiveness of ad networks. Anyhoo. I also wanted to mention that I'd love swag from you guys! I can't speak for everyone, but I'd happily buy a dii.net t-shirt or mug or what have you :)

3. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

I'm getting an error clicking on the link to the PAL sign-up page.

4. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

The one on the main page that says "Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!"

Also get an error clicking on the link contained in "Contribute via PayPal on this page."

The "Subscribe" link in the top horizontal menu works tho.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  5. Turbojugend

Turbojugend IncGamers Member

auf wiedersehen!

6. DaveTheBrave

DaveTheBrave IncGamers Member

Don't feel bad. In the eternal hamsters vs. humans wars, they'd do the same to us if given the chance.

DOWN WITH HAMSTERS!

7. Boomslang

Boomslang IncGamers Member

+1 to this.

8. Rushster

Rushster Administrator

I think the PAL links should work. Keep in mind you need to be logged in.

The situation is actually getting really bad so we need to take action now. Only a tiny, tiny fraction of readers of this site are PAL supporters so we still fall well short every month. One thing we do not want to do is end up blocking off the site to everyone but supporters (like the Times) but if it continues as it is then that would have to be considered.

Elly has once again chucked in a few grand of her savings this month to make the server move possible so you can thank her for that, but she can't keep funding it all so we need to reach out to the community.

9. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

I wouldn't mind shooting you guys some bucks, but I'm not touching paypal. Not even with someone else's 10 foot pole.

10. Rushster

Rushster Administrator

Thanks Ghostbit. The reality is a LOT of sites will start going to the wall in the next 12 months due to ad block. What you will see is more "sponsored content" instead of ads. This is something we would not consider, readers deserve better than that.

It's ironic that people love the sites they visit but still block the ads even though that will drive them offline at some point. We have given readers an option to support the site so we have been trying to get people's support direct but the reality of what is happening all over the net has not twigged with website visitors yet.

What the Internet will end up with is a load of corporate shill sites and really interesting and well written content will vanish because that costs money to create. Writers deserve to be paid for their efforts!

Why have we not moved on to other games? We have in the past but this site has always been here no matter what. We lost interest in games like WoW (Blizzard ruined it), Guild Wars 2 etc so those sites went eventually. The communities on those sites were just not as cool as the one here :) This is kind of our home and has been for 17 years.

There has been many times in the past where we could have sold this site to one of the networks, but at the time we turned them all down so we could make sure the community here was kept in one piece. It's funny that even after doing all that and sticking to our guns, it's technology and browser addons that could kill it off eventually.

Of course we are doing our very best to keep diabloii.net alive and kicking, we just need some more help :)

11. Silverfang

Silverfang IncGamers Member

As someone without even a bank account active and running, touching paypal isn't even an option lying on the table. And being dependant on a mobile connection with 5 gig bandwidth limit necessitates cutting the downstream wherever I can, which makes using adblock practically a must. I'd like to contribute to the site, but the only viable option open to me would be something like Paysafecard.

12. droful

droful IncGamers Site Pal

Me too!!