Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo3 Trading System

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Hideo, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Hideo

Hideo Banned

Diablo3 Trading System

Does anybody have any information regarding trading system?

What I would like to see is some kind of Aution House and stable currency with real worth, like in WOW.

If I have to find EVERYTHING myself or barter all the time it will be really disappointing.

2. Svalin

Svalin IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo3 Trading System

I would REALLY like it to be item vs. item trading (with player made currency) a.k.a. diablo II instead of WOWs boring approach. I mean what if trading is part of your fun. I don't feel like "scanning the auctionhouse".

Adding one, stable currency just makes everything so simple and flat. All you will see is... "O item X N X Gold" in trade channels. Just results in way less player-interaction and overal awereness. Need to know what some item is worth? Check AH. Need to get rid of something? Drop it in AH. Need something? Run to AH and buy it.

In short, Diablo trading was a HUGE part of the fun. Don't want the 8-yo friendly appraoch in D3.

My 2 cents.

3. Tigel

Tigel IncGamers Member

My experiences about D2 battle.net trading can be narrowed down to: "WUG" and "WUW". It can be SO thrustrating. I consider myself social and like to interact with people but D2 trading was pure pain for me. Pretty please give us AH it makes life just so much easier.

4. LokiNya

LokiNya IncGamers Member

I agree with Tigel. Trading in D2 was horrible, but maybe it was also because of the hordes of young kids there.
    There wasn't even time to make a better offer when buying or selling an item, cuz they already left in half a second after your first bid. "wug, nn, bye"
    I hope trading will be a bit more social and not so rushed, or else they might as well give the option to set up a store ingame on some market place while being afk.

5. Hideo

Hideo Banned

D2 simply has NO trading system. It doesn't support trading at all. Transaction costs are huge (time to find client/supplier) and there is no market value of items. You never know what it's worth for somebody else.

The fact that you have to use a trick to even move items between your own chars is ridiculous.

Need for currency is obvious too. Even in D2 there were SoJ and HR, so people tried to fill the void.

6. Felix

Felix IncGamers Member

I do not hope for an auction house kind of thing. The bartering and trading is much of what DII has going for it. I played WoW and using the AH is so impersonal, nothing like making a good trade with a guy you meet in DII.

So rather deal with scams that are possible in DII atm, and then develop the trading system from where it is, keeping the heart of it.

Don't neglect the satisfaction of making a good trade, which in an AH where prices are settled will be impossible.

I think that if they "fix" everything then the game wont have any lasting effect. It's how the players play DII that is the reason for it's success. Which I think is the secret to as why all efforts by others to make a new DII has failed. They tried to "fix" everything, not knowing this was the very cause of DII's success.

7. Pied

Pied IncGamers Member

Well I guess with an auction house the prices on all different items are more set. Everybody will know the price of his/her item in just 2 clicks.

For me, there where times in D2 that the only thing I was doing was trading. It got me so excited to make profit. With a auction house this gets alot harder since everybody knows the prices, so good deals are harder to find.

On advance that the Diablo 2 item system has, is that alot of items have variables, so the prices still fluctuate more then for example the items in wow.

8. casserole

casserole IncGamers Member

I am different from Felix in that I have little desire to barter and haggle with others. Trading and working the economy is not something I play games for, especially not rpg games. Human nature kicks in too much anyhow, people start to get greedy and attempt to screw over others in a trade. Plus, trying to find someone to trade with takes time away from what I log into do: slaughter the bad guys!

I'd be happy with two major improvements, make gold valuable and have something like a mail system or a common storage. I'd like to think that Blizzard learned something about how pointless gold became in D2. An auction house might be a bit ambitious for D3 though.

9. Tigel

Tigel IncGamers Member

Of course item generation system makes a big difference between games, I mean D2 with rare items and Auction House would be impossible, or at least would require insane amount of work. On the other hand I recently activated EVE online 14d trial and this game has "buyer auction house", which I consider very cool idea.

But in the end, all I would like to see is working economy which would require not too much of an effort make deals in. And I am not sure if D2 player generated economy can be referred to as it has been based on ... dupes.

10. jrichard

jrichard IncGamers Member

I take it you've never played WoW? Playing the auction house is still considered one of the quicker ways to make gold. It doesn't fix prices as they vary quite a bit day to day. There's still a trade channel and lots of items and services are bought and sold there. *Gasp* It's just different than what d2 players are used to and that seems to be a major problem for many of the current players judging from a bunch of posts on the d3 forums here.

11. Felix

Felix IncGamers Member

Yeah I tanked Illidan, so I know WoW. What I mean by a good trade is not ripping someone off. Its finding what you seek and providing the seller with a price he accepts. Many times this has turned into a chat and a new guy on the friendlist. Also bringing in mules to further exchange items and haggle and barter each other.

WoW has it's gold and thats that. DII has multiple currencies all valid and interchangeable. True DII gold doesn't hold value, but Perfect Gems do, they are the low currency, after that it becomes Runes and Jewels. It's working well infact.

A critiscicm of dealing with the people that play the game is really not fair to the game.

12. Rashiminos

Rashiminos IncGamers Member

D2 trading involves a lot of counterfeit currency...

13. ChosenHell

ChosenHell IncGamers Member

Having an Auction house combined with a currency will probably create more problems than its worth for D3. 3rd party gold selling sites. Unbelievable inflation cost of items. Then Blizzard would haft to implement gold sinks into the game among other things as well.

Most likely you will purchase something from the gold famers off the auction house like you can currently do in WoW now.

c-ya

14. Dark_Shadow

Dark_Shadow IncGamers Member

I have just one thing to say about some of the comments here: If D3 is going to borrow any gameplay strategies from WoW, I will likely not be returning to Battle.Net. I hated WoW (so crucify me, apparently). I want D3 to be DIABLO, not WARCRAFT. No auction houses, please. Sure, I'm game for making gold actually worth something other than mercenary ressurections.

My 3 cents.

15. zzzackkk

zzzackkk IncGamers Member

I was so worried that they were going to do something completely different with D3. After seeing the in-game videos I'm extremely relieved and am glad with all of the changes they have made. They didn't just make the same game with new items and characters, but yet they also didn't ruin what we all loved about Diablo.

I think it would be pretty hard for them to incorporate a value system or even an auction house type thing because Diablo is setup as instances.

16. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

I've healed everything up to Felmyst in Sunwell, and I've had either 3 or 4 level 90+ characters in D2, so I know both.

It seems like you're trying to tell us that using gems and runes is somehow better than using actual currency. If it was better, we would use it in society, and not just D2 where gold is useless.

You say that the trading game in Diablo 2 leads to a friend on the friends list, and that might happen at times, but more often than not it leads to acronyms and flames.

If you need to buy an occulus, and someone is selling one for 1 Herald of Zak, and someone else is selling one for 1 Buriza, which is the better deal?

What if, instead, someone was selling an occulus for 200g, and someone else was selling for 180g? You can still barter with the higher offer to see if he'll come down, and you both know exactly what you're getting.

17. Felix

Felix IncGamers Member

If you let the dupers rule the game then it matters not what system they implement, simple as that.

18. Felix

Felix IncGamers Member

Gold is utterly boring, and the Illidan remark wasn't an invite to be overdone, it was a reply to a guy who claimed I must never have played WoW. At the end of the day we disagree, i'd rather find the good barter than go put another 20 gold in the bank, and write to Blizzard that I should get interest because so it is in real life and it's much more efficient and we play this game to make it as if we are simulating the Dow Jones index.

19. etslayer

etslayer Banned

For me the best part of D2 was bartering and haggling people. If they take this away from us, it would seriously fizzle my excitement about the game.

People complain that the D2 trading system just threw you out on your own and made you find potential traders on your own and barter with them. Frankley, I loved this because it's realistic and allows you to make friends through trade, and have detailed bargains which you simply can't do with auction houses.

Also, I think it's clear that gold will not be worth much in D3 considering the sell value on the items in the demo. I have mentioned this in another thread, and I will be mentioning again.

Also, it's not like D2 didn't do anything to organize trade... there were different trading channels for every character class.

Auction houses are obviously more convenient for simple and quick trades, but I believe they remove all the fun from trading.

20. jrichard

jrichard IncGamers Member

Such a claim was never made, read it again. A question was asked. you can choose to take offense at it if you want, but don't try to justify it by saying i made a claim.

The question was asked simply due to neither myself nor anyone i know in wow finding prices to be "settled" on the AH. Every day there are things sold way under what they could bring as well as for way more than what they do bring. Finding a good deal there happens all the time. Now, if it's simply not to your taste, fine. But trying to claim prices are set or settled is ridiculous