Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo3 Is On Its Way!!!

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Decebal, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Gaza0469

Gaza0469 Diabloii.Net Member

I doubt D3 would come out.

Most of the original crew left Blizzard and formed ArenaNet - their current and almost complete project is Guildwars. ArenaNet includes the original designers of battlenet, a fair few of the lead programmers and designers.

Lets face it - D2 doesnt have a storyline to work with - it cant be an add on - they would have to re-invent it as a whole new game.

With so much competition in the RPG market at the moment - WOW, Guild Wars, EQ, EQ2 I dont think they would - especially when they have made it clear that gheir online games wont be free anymore.

Blizz are having huge problems with WOW at the moment, high latency, its oversold in pretty much every country in the world, they cant make enough copies to go around.

Plus its raking in huge $$ in monthly subscriptions - Blizz have found a new cash cow.

They will just keep updating WOW I reckon.

If they announce anything it will be the WOW Battlezones add on.

2. Chimaira

Chimaira Diabloii.Net Member

I think Gaza is right.. besides StarCraft 2 would be kickass too... Still Blizzard did emply some new people to work on a game... people with RPG experience...

3. Killax

Killax Diabloii.Net Member

I sent an email (for fun) to IGN.com PC editors and got an email back:

Question-
    "Do you have any news on any new Blizzard game? Are they going to show
    anything new at E3 this year?"

Response-
    "Damn good question.

Dan"

but ya i agree with Gaza0469 also

4. Decebal

Decebal Diabloii.Net Member

@Chimaira - Asked a question about the kitty in an other thread d2data's 'Ladder Only' designation? So it seems like u missed my question in that thread :p Ok so the pic is from internet...thought you were one of those guys who is taking pleasure from hurting animals... :rolleyes: As for ther rest no need to read my mind... :D

@AlexWan - THIS thread it's no a lie! If you read my 2 first posts above I explained how and where I got the info from. I consider a solid one since the person who told me that works for Vivendi who owns Blizzard North (makers of Diablo game series). I would also like to see Starcraft 2 but i think that will be a project for later on or a parallell project!

@Overtone and Keldaris - Pay to play its not that much! 10 euros a month for WOW its nothing imo...this is just a speculation (Diablo 3 beeing a MMORPG game) so far and just an assumption i made!

@Gaza0469 - Nice to see our aussie friend writing a post again! Long time ago! ;) What you are writing Gaza its true concerning people leaving Blizz to form other companys and work with other projects! Well WoW may be another cashcow but think of having 2 cashcows from Blizz point of view it's not such a bad idea! Well in fact VIVENDI pulls all the strings now so they have a lot to say!

@Killax - well ign dont know nothing at the moment beacuse nothing has been released!

@All 1 - Blizz is no longer producing Stracraft Ghost. Another company is doing that and it will be distributed in Blizzards name cause of the registered trademark. Besides they were having problems with the distribution chain worldwide concerning Starcraft ghost! More delays!

@All 2 - Blizz want to steal the show at E3 in may! Thats way everything is quite from them! They want surprise everybody! And that surprise will be the announcement of D3!!! Remember that Blizz has not announce a new project/game for a long long time! E3 it's the right place and the right time!

/Dec

5. Alywin

Alywin Diabloii.Net Member

Yes, I think they will build D3 as a MMORPG and charge fee like MMORPG....

And yes, the future is : play (the game), pay (the bill), pray (for your wallet).

6. toutim

toutim Diabloii.Net Member

Well the kitten is real at least, and people tend to focus on reality sometimes.

7. FlyingPerson

FlyingPerson Diabloii.Net Member

I think D3 will be something like D2, still...a free online-game

First of all..MMORPG? If they cant make an outstanding differ style with WoW, then it is pointless to have 2 similar game at same time for 1 company. MOST OF PEOPLE wont pay and play both D3 and WoW at same time.

If they make D3 a pay game, and it turns out to be another MMORPG..it will only split their market. I believe 75% of people here playing D2x is bcz it is a classic and free online game. If Blizzard make D3 a pay game, how many D2x player will go play D3? There might be quite amount of people, but "quite amount" of people is TOTALLY NOT ENOUGH! People who would like to play monthly-fee-pay game are already playing WoW. I think it will be a better choice to make D3 a free-online-game.

My logic:

100 people here. 70 ppl would like to pay to play game. 30 ppl dont.

In this situation, probably its like 70 ppl play WoW, 30 play D2X.

If Blizzard make D3 a pay game. It probably will be like 50ppl play WoW, 25ppl play D3, 25 still play D2X.

If Blizzard make D3 a free-online game. The it will probably be 60ppl play WoW, 40 play D3.

The D3 wil have a better market if it is a free-online-game.
    Otherwise, D3 will be compete with WoW. (Why make 2 similar game compete to each other?)

8. Dennis_KoreanGuy

Dennis_KoreanGuy Diabloii.Net Member

I doubt D3 is coming out anytime soon...

I remember back in the days when there were such "news breaks" of Starcraft Ghost coming out, but has it come out even yet?

I think most of the Blizzard company is focused on WoW right now, then SC kicking up second and Diablo trailing in the third...

- Dennis

9. Darnoc

Darnoc Diabloii.Net Member

IMO diablo and wow draw from different game player segments- those more focused on finishing the quests/beat the game and those who focus on killing stuff/dueling and different builds; so I dont think there would be too much cannibalization of wow if d3 came out. Those who love wow would stick with that, but gamers who are only playing wow because they're sick of d2x of course would switch to d3 (I'm sure there'd always be those people with nothing better to do than play both games of course).

As for pay to play, its inevitable if d3 were to come out- and I'm sure they'd make it worth while too. Come on, how many people seriously would be that opposed to $10 monthly or something. I know I'd like to see d3 be free online, but we know that's not going to happen if/when it comes out. Maybe we should take a poll on this site to see who would be willing to pay to play d3.

By paying monthly blizzard would have more reason to enforce proper game play as well, which I'm sure most people here would like to see. Everyone complains about the bots, dupes, cheating, and maphacks for d2x- I bet we wouldn't have nearly as many of these problems if it was on a subscription basis. These all exist right now because blizzard has no motivation or incentive to put in the effort to make it be otherwise.

I know that despite this there will always be people who will refuse to pay monthly, or simply can't afford to do so- thats why mini-open realms always seem to pop up; go play there if you dont feel like paying, or just stick with d2x i guess or play single player. Of course d3 would have more people playing it if it were free online; but blizzard would only make money from game sales and this would end up like d2 though- overrun with cheats,stolen cd keys, and dupes ruining the game eventually.

10. Gaza0469

Gaza0469 Diabloii.Net Member

ahh u r from aussie land as well I take it? :)

I would luved to have seen a D3 , it was my favourite game for soooo long before I got converted over to the dark side and started playing World of Warcraft

Guildwars is looking very promising as well and I cant wait to see the finished product - should be very exciting!

I cant understand why Blizz never cashed in on a sequal all those years ago - I think many of us would of bought a 2nd expansion pack.

D2 sold over 7 million copies - if they even sold 1 million D2XX expansions they could of cleaned up some more easy cash.

After all the graphics engine was in place, they could of strung us some dodgy storyline and we would of bought it - they fully missed out I reckon!

I actually like D2 better than WOW its just I have accomplished everything in D2, made heaps of nice runewords, I built up 4 accounts with over 30 characters, 8 of them were over level 90. So it lost its spark with me.

Im also really enjoying WOW at the moment as well :) its a gr8 game, and I fully reccomend it to anyone who is bored with D2 :)

11. goddlike

goddlike Diabloii.Net Member

It would be a nice twist if D3 was based on the bad guys. So you could choose between andariel, mephisto, diablo, duriel, or baal. NPC's would be minions. Amazon would be first boss, then paladin, then sorceress, then etc. yeah that would be cool

12. Decebal

:D :D :D

That would be a great idea! But not viable I think! In the end we must fight evil! Think of PvP with Diablo versus Andariel!!! That would be a blast! :D

/Dec

13. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

That's just wishful thinking. Are there any evidence ? What I read so far did in no way indicate that D3 is being announced.

Speculating about when it would be a good time to announce or release D3 is pointless, as nobody knows anything about what would D3 be like. For example, if it needs a pay-per-month version of bnet, they probably won't announce it as long as WoW runs well, as a lot people would wait for D3 then instead of buying WoW now, but if they want to cover the market of those who can't afford ore are not willing to pay $15 a month, providing a toll-free version of bnet, the best announce or even release date would be right now, I guess.

14. Decebal

15. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I mean no offense and perhaps I'm missing something, but all this is just speculation. The only fact is that Blizzard will attend some event, whatever it might be. You are just speculating and any conclusions drawn from them are speculations as well.

Is there just a single person from Blizzard, being in a position to have first-hand knowledge who made a definitive statement about D3, i.e. something more substantial than "damn qood question" ? The answer is: NO !

We are running in circles here. You are not able to provide any proof and I don't believe in hearsay. It might be possible that they announce D3, but perhaps they announce Starcraft 2 or Pacman or nothing at all instead !

16. Decebal

Well Krischan for you proof is that blizz will announce D3 themselves! I understand you and others that say: "We need proof, wheres is the link,give me the link and, Blizz has not sai anything, and so on".

For me its enough where I got my info from to belive that D3 will come! Of course thats not possible over night so when it will be announced at E3 in may consider that it will be released in the begining of 2008 or during 2008! Considering the aspects and game development time (Blizz are taking there timing making games nowdays) next PC-game release will not be untill the above mentioned year. Note I say PC (dont know if they will develop games for platforms eg Playstation , XboX or the uppcoming new console versions of them).

We just have to wait and sit put untill E3 in may! I'm convinced that then all of us will be convinced and have enough proof! :p

/Dec

17. barren

barren Diabloii.Net Member

Seeing how warcraft was originally their least popular franchise compared to diablo and starcraft, the big project they'll enviel will undoubtedly be another warcraft game just to piss off the fans. Since starcraft is (and still is, it's still outselling d2 7 years after its release) their most popular game they will either piss off every fan by turning its sequel into a first person shooter for a console(oh wait, lol, n/m). We can assume it won't be something starcraft related, so that leaves us with only one possibility! Diablo 3: the real time strategy game! It's brilliant marketing on blizzards part, all the starcraft players get shafted again, and all the diablo players will be just as pissed!

If I were a betting man their next game will just be an expansion to wow.

18. Vakarrona

Vakarrona Diabloii.Net Member

I would choose Rakanishu or Bishibosh! The name is everything and their names sure kicka**.

say it slowly: Ra-ka-ni-shu! Bi-shi-bosh! We have a winner :D

19. Vakarrona

Vakarrona Diabloii.Net Member

Now for the real topic, if Blizzard is making a new game, let's say StarCraft 2 or Diablo 3 or even "Arkanoid-o-Tetris-Pac-o-Man Ultra-Mega-Pro Evolution 9999 Space-Invaders version", well, just keep waiting. When it's time for it, it sure will be announced from Blizzard itself.
    Stop speculating, go play current games. Let them work on games that are to come...

20. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Actually, Blizzard has not yet announsed anything about D3.

So everything is just hyped rumor.

If there is an announcement, it will be in the Community Forum.

;)