Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

diablo2 recommeded specs

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by GoreSpilr, Jan 31, 2004.

1. GoreSpilr

GoreSpilr IncGamers Member

diablo2 recommeded specs

I can see the specs on the box, not much really. pentium 233, 64 mb of ram, and if you want you can get a 3d card with 8 megs or more.
    well, I have p3 500, 32 mb video card and 512 mb ram.
    I find poor frame rates a lot of the time, some parts of characters are blockier than I'd like. the games still playable, but I'm surprised being so far above these menial requirements that I am not getting more. In particular, I've been playing a necro lately, and with all his minions running around, I find a great latency between click and move.
    I'm going to be upgrading soon, big upgrade, far exceeding what the game could ask for.
    just wondering what you think would be the minumum to run it sufficiently, or what you're running it on and how happy you are with it.
    GS.

2. CaptJoe213

CaptJoe213 IncGamers Member

I used to run D2 on a 1 gig celeron with 128 mb of ram and an ANCIENT 3dfx Voodoo 3 PCI and it ran like a top for me. If you are upgrading with new store bought parts, I think you would be hard pressed to find anything that wouldn't run it silky smooth for ya. My only complaint is all of my Geforce based cards always stutter around the pentagram where Diablo appears. My Voodoo didnt, but ahh well hehe. Anyway, the system above did me quite well, and considering how old that computer is, it should be no problem for you to meet or greatly exceed that setup.

Best of luck with your upgrades, hope you get things workin smootly soon

3. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

i have a celeron300 and i turn the music and some lighting effects off and even skelemancers work fine.

4. GoreSpilr

GoreSpilr IncGamers Member

I never tried turning music off, I doubt that would make much difference.. I'll try it though. I also turn the light and stuff off. weird.

5. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

turning the music off makes a BIG difference, atleast for me. and you also wont hear the cd spinning sound

6. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

Zrk, if you don't want the CD to spin (and pause the game briefly) you can copy the d2xmusic.mpq into your diablo 2 directory on your PC. That will let it go to your hard drive.

7. Jonashi

Jonashi IncGamers Member

Diablo2 uses old graphic coding unoptimized for DirectX. This causes the game to run similar on most systems, no matter what their apparent differences in raw power. I have played the game on a series of systems now, and the best performance is indeed on a 3dfx-based card with a slightly older system. 2nd comes the DirectDraw option, which gives a good framerate but for the fiercest of necromancers and lightning furyzons.

So if you are looking for ubersmooth frames, go for max power and pray to the gods. Or use your P3/celeron systems with a 3dfx (plenty 2nd-hand to find on the net).

8. somewhatdamaged99

somewhatdamaged99 IncGamers Member

Im playing d2 on an Athlon XP 3000, Radeon 9800 Pro video card, 1GB PC3200 RAM, SB Audigy 2 etc etc etc and it always stutters just after diablo or Baal die (which means when stuttering stops, items are gone)

I suggest you use direct draw instead of direct3d, you tend to get better framerates

Not wanting to take anything away from Blizzard, but their patches do nothing to help the game run any better (i.e taking into account the way graphics/cpu technology has changed) in the last 5 yrs. I mean if i get stutters on a Radeon 9800 Pro, yet a 3dfx card runs it fine, then the people who playtest must be using some strange hardware...

oh and i have 512 adsl as well, so its not a bad ping causing lag and i am an MCSE :)

9. Schwhat

Schwhat IncGamers Member

When I started this game; it was with a Pentium MMX 200Mhz. With a Voodoo 2 3D Card and 96MB of Ram with a 33.6 modem on AOL to boot. I started Bnet then it was laggy as heck (single player wasn't that bad). I got PKed and when I told them my sad tale of computer specs. They laughed at me and called me a liar for the specs said 233Mhz and it won't work on a 200Mhz computer...

That my friend is why I don't really like playing with too many people. Many of them are simpletons who think they know everything.

Thank god that was only for a month or two before I was blissed by college life which came with Ethernet capabilities. It was ok.

If you had to ask me the best set up for the game. I'd say your P3 is good enough, might want to upgrade the video card and drivers, but I'm leaning towards that your problem is mainly that your Memory (could be a generic brand) and HD swap space not being sufficient. I also note that you should be on cable internet (nothing under).

Reason being is if you split your internet (like DSL) you can a certain amount of bandwidth issues and that your resources might be used up if you're using other programs like playing winamp music and AIM running simultaneously.

My current computer I just recently built is a AMD 64 3200+ with 1 Gig PC 3500 Kingston HyperX with Dual SATA raptors (10k rpm w/ 8MB cache). Damn thing is fast. Got 170fps on the my new 19" LCD Samsung 191T +. Of course this game only runs to 30fps or something around that. But it reports wrong, or so I'm told.