Diablo Tattoo - Would you do it?

Moonfrost

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Diablo Tattoo - Would you do it?

I'm not a big fan of tattoos (or other kinds of permanent body art) so I'll probably never get one, unless I get some ugly scar that I'll want to hide behind a big tattoo. Tattoos look good on some people but most of them really aren't that appealing IMO.

This particular tattoo bugs me a lot as it suffers from the ugly wing syndrome - a lot of artists simply have no idea what bird wings look like, which is a shame because they're such a big part of the artwork. Such wings look okay to people who don't know what they're supposed to look like, but to me they're annoying as hell.

Hector

Diabloii.Net Member

The art looks really good.

I wouldn't do a tattoo on myself though, be it Diablo themed or anything else, simply because I mood swing a lot and I'm pretty sure I'd have a love-hate relationship with it. :coffee:

I have nothing against tattoos though, don't get me wrong. Those who have some attitude, like tattoos and Diablo, why not go ahead and do it. :thumbsup:

Moonfrost

Diabloii.Net Member

I agree that wings on humanoids are pretty pointless, but if those wings have feathers then the wings should look like bird wings, as feathers are unique to birds. There's really no excuse not to draw them properly, as they usually look far better that way. Some angel art with proper wings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Guido_Reni_031.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fouquet_Madonna.jpg
http://thumbs.imagekind.com/member/9a1fc747-9ca7-4925-a2f3-afb2be9ea00f/uploadedartwork/650X650/f3cd715a-25c0-43a2-80b3-44784291ed25.jpg

I like everything else about the art but wings are sort of a pet peeve of mine.

That said, you piqued my curiosity: if Diablo fans with Diablo tattoos are "true fans" then what would you call Diablo fans without Diablo tattoos? :)

Leord

Diabloii.Net Member

"As useful as nipples on a breastplate" :)

GuardianHadriel

Diabloii.Net Member

when older....(above 18)...I will most certainly get one or perhaps more diablo tatoos...but not covering my entire back...maybe on my arms or something. I call The Lord of Terror and The ArchAngel of Justice.

AeroGear

Diabloii.Net Member

Is this even diablo art? Seems to be a ripoff of the Khorne/Chaos(?) faction from the world of Warhammer.

Sure is gonna be painful and costly to remove if he ever regrets it. Might wanna start working out a bit more too.

Leord

Diabloii.Net Member

Is this even diablo art? Seems to be a ripoff of the Khorne/Chaos(?) faction from the world of Warhammer.

Sure is gonna be painful and costly to remove if he ever regrets it. Might wanna start working out a bit more too.
Yes, I even linked the original!

It's from the Diablo I Manual (sorry no pics there).

As for WH and the arrow symbol, I am fairly certain it has been used to describe chaos in more places than WH. Or not, and it's just become synonym with evil, as I have seen it in other non-WH related art.

But it's a pretty basic pattern with 8 arrows going outward from the middle - Chaos :)

Marahumm

Diabloii.Net Member

Eventually I'm going to completely get a diablo 2 tattoo on me somewhere. I'm tossing around the idea of a necromancer summoning skeletons from corpses. However, it must wait in line behind:

Shuriken throwing Kenny
Ridley
Samus

quick edit: I really don't dig the wings, but I've never played the first diablo game. As far as the Diablo universe, I've grown accustomed to the tentacle-ness of angel wings found in game.

Doppel

Banned

Although i think its fun to look at when someone else has it because i like tattoo art, i wouldn't put any tattoo on me even if they payed me.

Leopold Stotch

Diabloii.Net Member

i LOVE tattoos, personally (i have several). some ppl take it too far, but it's their decision. *shurg*

i do like the Tyreal tatt, tho. the wings may be a little weird, but i think it's a good piece all in all. i dig it. would i get a Diablo tatt? probably not. i would get a Chrono Trigger tatt of a certain scene in the game and a certain someone else was supposed to get this tatt too, but apparently, it didn't even make his list. :p

edit: you know what's REALLY weird and i would never get it done? eye tattoos. do not read if you are afraid of needles and are squeamish about eyes.

i saw this on National Geographic's "Taboo" and it was about tattoos. long story short, this guy got the white part of his eye inked black. they put a needle in his eye and gently inked the white part of his eye black. when everything was said and done, his eyes were black, but you could still see his color of his eyes (they looked green). it was so weird, kinda cool, but would i do that? HELL TO THE NO. and like all tatts are supposed to be, it's permanent. can't undo it.

Last edited:

Funkopotamus

Diabloii.Net Member

I could see myself doing it. But not a big one. I've always been one to prefer a cluster of smaller images over a larger one.

xduncanx

Diabloii.Net Member

This particular tattoo bugs me a lot as it suffers from the ugly wing syndrome - a lot of artists simply have no idea what bird wings look like, which is a shame because they're such a big part of the artwork. Such wings look okay to people who don't know what they're supposed to look like, but to me they're annoying as hell.
While the wings may be ugly i sense you are more grieved by the fact that they don't look like birds wings.

oh.... what's that?.... it's not a bird.... oh well, i guess that's ok then.

Moonfrost

Diabloii.Net Member

While the wings may be ugly i sense you are more grieved by the fact that they don't look like birds wings.
Yes, definitely. It's just one of those things that you may not notice at first, but once you do you find it really annoying. It's like trying to immerse yourself in a good role-playing game but constantly encountering an annoying glitch that breaks the immersion.

oh.... what's that?.... it's not a bird.... oh well, i guess that's ok then.
Traditionally, angel wings are bird wings. Why? Because birds can fly and with a pair of bird wings, so can angels. Sure, I suppose you can strap on whatever you like on the angel's back and pretend they're "wings" but that would only make sense if the new "wings" look better... and I can't say that's the case here. :/