Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo Spelling Bee Tourney Idea-Feedback Plz

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Brak, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

Diablo Spelling Bee Tourney Idea-Feedback Plz

--Disclaimer--
    This is my first Tournament posting, and only have experience in the Glass Cannon Tournament thus far. I have read through most of the tournament threads in the sticky, but feedback would be greatly appreciated:thumbsup:
    --End Disclaimer--

I’ve always enjoyed playing board games, but I have never liked Scrabble. There’s just something wrong about spelling for enjoyment. So I was wondering how could one better go about making spelling fun? And like all things, the answer is by doing it while vanquishing Hell’s minions.

So this tournament will work pretty much like a game of Scrabble. I know you’re thinking “But Scrabble has a board and square wooden tiles, there’s no wooden squares in my computer.†We’ll be using weapons, armor and jewelry as letter tiles, and scoring rounds will take place at the killing of each act boss, and the cow king. Dying kicks you out of the tournament with a single restart allowed, and the person with the highest score when everyone is dead or has killed the Cow King on Hell difficulty wins.

--How do we make Scrabble tiles in Sanctuary?--
    This is actually quite simple. Any item that is equippable is a Scrabble tile. The first letter of the item is the tile it represents. Examples are below.
    -For plain items this is simple, Short Sword = S, Wand = W etc.
    -All Damaged items = D, all Superior items = S and so forth cracked and low quality.
    -Magical items are a little more tricky. If they have a prefix, the prefix sets the letter Azure Ring = A. But if they only have a suffix then the item type sets the tile Ring of Strength = R. Charms work the same as magic items.
    -Sets, uniques and rares are all simple. The first letter again sets the tile. Griswold’s anything = G, Manald Heal = M, Bitter Clasp Ring = B. Note that the word THE is ignored, thus The Diggler = D.
    -Socketed items are the most interesting since they can be manipulated. When they are empty they act as plain items so Mace = M. But if you stick something in the socket, say Tir rune, its name changes to Gemmed Mace = G. However if you then add an El rune you have made the runeword Steel = S.
    -Note that naming your character starting with the letter Z could greatly increase your scoring potential.
    -Blank tiles also exist as in Scrabble and will be discussed more below. The only restriction here is that one blank can be used at any given time.

The Rules
    --Basic Rules--
    -1.10, 1.11 vanilla or RRM/RWM allowed. Runewords from RWM also allowed.
    -ATMA muling off is OK but no twinking. ATMA can and should be used as a storage device for your character.
    -HC or SC OK, but if you play SC your character is done once you die.
    -If you die, you are allowed a single restart, but your score is reset to 0 and you must subtract the score of the tiles that were on your character at time of death. All items found on the initial character are lost.
    -No Escape button to prevent immanent death.
    -Single clears only, but full clears not required. You should obtain plenty of tiles from one pass. If you must pass through a previously cleared area please only kill out of self defense, and do not pick up loot or activate shrines.
    -Quests are all optional and can be done in any order, but please observe single clear rules if returning to complete later. Note that some quests will be very desirable as they can be used to create Blank tiles discussed more below, or change the tiles altogether.
    -Players setting can be changed at your whim. You may engage in the cheesy behavior of clearing at players 1 and opening chests at players 8 but you must report such behavior in this thread so we may all mock you (maybe even a second time) and call your father a hamster.
    -You may chose any character class you wish, but there are the following skill restrictions:
    Banned Skills:
    -Corpse explosion may not be used at any time
    Restricted Skills:
    Barbarian:
    -Barbarians taking Battle Orders or Warcry beyond level 1 forfeit the use of their melee weapon as a blank tile (see below).
    Necromancer:
    -Necromancers with more than one summon can never use the letter A in any gear slot.
    Paladin:
    -Paladins taking Blessed Hammer beyond level 1 must always use their starting buckler. It must always be equipped and functioning in the spelling of a word. No weapon switch allowed. You may alter it with quest rewards or the cube as much as you wish. It is not to be relinquished after scoring rounds.
    Sorceress:
    -Static Field may not be used during scoring rounds.
    -Sorceresses using the Teleport skill cannot use vowels in their weapon or jewelry slots.
    *Guessing I need to nerf trapsins and wind druids too?*:scratch:

--Scrabble Rules--
    -Official dictionary of this tourney: http://www.askoxford.com/dictionaries/compact_oed/?view=uk
    Sorry English words only.
    -At any time during play the items equipped on your character must create a single word from 1-10 letters long. Single letter words I and A are permissible. Any gear slot that is not “participating†in creating a word must be left empty.
    -Items given at character creation may be used alone for as long as you wish. Once other equipment is added to them the spelling rules above apply.
    -Arrows and Bolts are the ONLY equippable items that do not count towards your spelling at any time.
    -Your weapon switch must also be involved in a word when it is activated, please consider this when altering gear setups.
    -Your merc’s gear must make its own independent 1-3 letter word or else they will be left naked.
    -Charms can only be used in groups that spell out four or more letter words. A single charm may not be used in more than one word at a time. The only exception to this rule is in town while you are having charms ID’d they can be transported regardless of spelling.
    -Blank tiles can be obtained from two sources. Any melee character’s weapon may be considered a blank at any time. Quest reward items from Cain rescue, Charsi’s imbue, the Gidbhin ring, and Anya rescue may also be considered blank tiles. Blank tiles can also be used as their representative letter if you wish . Only one blank may be equipped at a given time. (For those not familiar with Scrabble, blank tiles are wild cards that can be used to represent any letter but must be used in word creation, their scoring value is 0).
    -After your “tiles†are used in a scoring round (killing act boss or the Cow King) you must discard them. You cannot reuse tiles in Scrabble after all.

--Scoring--
    -Scoring will be the same as in Scrabble with letter values as follows:
    A-1
    B-3
    C-3
    D-2
    E-1
    F-4
    G-2
    H-4
    I-1
    J-8
    K-5
    L-1
    M-3
    N-1
    O-1
    P-3
    Q-10 (yay for Quilted Armor)
    R-1
    S-1
    T-1
    U-1
    V-4
    W-4
    X-8
    Y-4
    Z-10
    Blank-0
    -You only receive points for the word spelled by equipment on your character, not charm words or merc gear. Also note that charm words and merc gear need not be discarded after the scoring round is complete.
    -A double word score is given to any character who beats an act boss on players 4 setting, and a triple word score is given for defeating the boss on players 8.
    -There are no double or triple word score bonuses for the cow king.
    -A 50 point BINGO bonus will be given for any words of 9 letters or more successfully used in a scoring round.
    -5 style points for spelling an evil demon from the Diablo universe (exempt from dictionary rule).
    -Please post your word at the time of updating the score table.

Scoring example:
    I kill Andariel wearing:
    C-racked Sash
    R-ing of Dexterity
    A-zure Amulet of Energy
    C-iverb’s Cudgel
    K-ite Shield of Deflecting
    E-ntropy Whorl Ring
    D-amaged Ring Mail
    *boots and gloves are empty*
    Set at players 4 I will score: 32 points for round 1.

Good Luck and happy spelling.

-----
    -The main thing I'm worried about is the tedium that may develop with an equipment rule that allows for so many possibilities, but is also quite restricted. I've played a character under such rules for a good portion of Act 1 and it seems like everytime an item drops I feel compelled to run back to my stash and see what else I can spell. "Oh look leather gloves that gives me an 'L'...Albama...alabi...ALBATROSS." But I thought the unique scoring system could make it a bit appealing.
    -Definitely need some recommendations as far as class balance goes. I have hardly played assasins at all, and haven't had a Druid or Amazon since before synergies were introduced.

Thanks for taking the time to read through the post and for any feedback

2. Freekje

Freekje IncGamers Member

It's a good idea, and the way you worked it out is quite good as well.

The only disadvatage is that it is quite complicated. I am very curious how this will work though, and I might even join a complicated tournament for a change.

3. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Maybe you could consider having no skill restriction at all. Most tornament players already played basic cheesy builds so they will not play fishymancers again. And for myself I don't like restricting the core skills like Battle Orders or Teleport or Static Field.
    The idea is very interesting, but quite complicated....

4. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

Thanks for the feedback.

Reading it over again, trying to think of it from a fresh perspective the rules do look a bit daunting. Good point that having a super-complicated skill restriction paradigm seems to make this worse. I was hoping for a compromise. I too, don't like having absolutely banned skills, so I wanted to make using them a trade off. Maybe this wasn't the best idea. I do think Static Field has to be banned from Act bosses since the scoring is so dependent on players setting and a short barage of static field will negate this.

Anyway, interest doesn't seem to be so great. I guess I'll go back to the drawing board for some different ideas.

5. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

Im interested just not to smart thats alot of rules for me

6. oddcoffin

oddcoffin IncGamers Member

ROFL I read the title of this and thought it would be some joke on all the common incorrect spelling of words on here (Fanatisizum or nillotech)
    But sounds like an interesting tourney have fun!!

7. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Actually I like the idea. Anything to promote spelling. Although can those of us who use the letter 'u' frequently not be penalized by those of you (Americans) who don't. :grin: Colour me interested. :wink3:

8. waflob

waflob IncGamers Member

It's certainly a novel idea. I know from previous experience that I tend to get muddled up between different tournaments and end up having to retire from one due to my own stupidity. That is why I really do prefer the simple rules.

With a tourny like this one, I just know that I would forget which ring came from rescuing Cain and stuff like that.

Also, what is to prevent someone from taking an act boss down to a sliver with good gear, going back to town to put on crappy, but good point scoring gear, and then taking that last bit of life off ? I know these SP tournaments require a huge amount of trust, but the thought did cross my mind that this could happen.

Also, you'll have to clarify what is meant by English. See previous post :)

DelBoy

9. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

Apologize for the slow reply after asking for feedback. The squid has been showing up everytime I am available for posting recently.

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement guys. As far as the what do you mean by English question, that's why I posted a link to the Oxford English Dictionary. Basically if its in there you can use it.

I thought a way of keeping track of the blank tiles might be to post the Items in thread as you find them so you can refer back here if you need to, though that may clog up the thread and make it just as hard to remember.

@waflob, thanks for pointing out the loophole in the scoring system. I'll be sure to specify that the scoring round begins at boss engagement, and gear cannot be swapped out once the fight has begun. Still not sure what to do about weapon switching during the fight though...

I guess I'll let this percolate for a while. And maybe I'll get it up and running once my Glass Cannon is shattered.

Thanks

10. DuesNox

DuesNox IncGamers Member

I would perfer if the whole scoring system was simpler. For example, instead of having random bonuses for doing stuff, and triple points for defeating a boss on a certain player setting, just let it be that the longer, more complex word you have, the higher you score.

Of course, a rule needs to be made that you can't switch gear when finishing a boss, and I believe that as long as the rules there, people won't break it.

Terrific idea though, and If im browsing the forums at the time of the tournaments start, I will be happy to join.

I think it would make it more enjoyable if gambling was banned as well. for it will get rid of the temptation to spend half of your chars life gambling certain letters. But thats just opinion.

11. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

I like the idea of just letting the longer more complex words score higher thing though untwinked gambling may be the only way tho its kinda cheesy