Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo questions (the big red scaly one, not the game) ifr

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Merlin The Wizzard, May 18, 2008.

1. Merlin The Wizzard

Merlin The Wizzard IncGamers Member

Diablo questions (the big red scaly one, not the game)

Hiya all, after my unfortunate demise with the summoning druid against the big d, I am left with some questions.

- How can Diablo trap me while I am moving? Is it because a werebear is larger? Has anyone else experienced this?
    - Attacking D. with a crappy weapon and no resists is suicide apparently. Summons don't last, even the bear is toast with only 2-3 red lightning hoses. How does a summoner cope with this? Just not fight Diablo on p8?
    - How is his drop rate affected on lower p settings? Honesty compels me to confess I'm pretty anal about going p8 all the way, but bosses usually wind up giving me a major headache (and the green with envy tourney is quite harsh with eq and hence with resistances, dont forget!). So I have no experience on this area. But how is my chance for set items decreased by triggering diablo at say p3 instead of p8? Is there some EASY 'approximation' formula I can use to find this out? (Not that I am necessarily bad at math, I just dont want to do loads of calculations while gaming...)

2. Sessily

Sessily IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo questions (the big red scaly one, not the game)

Player settings have absolutely no effect on item quality, only quantity. At /p3 you should effectively eliminate his no drop chance. Anything beyond that yields only experience.

3. Insane Wayne

Insane Wayne IncGamers Member

D's bone prison has a %chance to trap you on the run, not sure what the number is exactly. I've never noticed that body size had anything to do with it. I've seen him trap characters, mercs, and summons.

Many players will temporarily boost their blocking/resists against D. For example, in Normal, I might equip a 3-socket tower shield with topaz-topaz-ruby, or something like that. Maybe some Elds if my resists are already good. Max fire/lightning resists and high block% will make a huge difference.

Regarding the weapon, some basic CB is the best. Even a lowly Rixot's/Crushflange/Strength flail is great for untwinked HC.

When these options are restricted by tourney rules, you have to rely on extreme caution. Place summons in front of D while you attack his back. Wolves are pretty good for spamming in a semi-circle around D, at least one should avoid his spells while you recast the others.

Diablo will flatten your summons, especially in Normal. If you really pump your summons' skills and life/resist synergies, they can hold out OK in NM/Hell. Otherwise, be prepared to spam your summons (at a rapid pace) on the opposite side of Diablo, away from you and the merc. If you set it up right, it's pretty safe.

Nah, just take him at p3, or p1 for delicate builds, especially HC.

4. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

The only time I've ever been trapped by BigD is when I've been stationary either as a caster or a missile attacker, but not standing toe-to-toe with him. As to whether in WB form you are too big to be BPrisioned, I doubt it, but better heads than mine with confirm/deny this. A little more detail of your build would help and what difficulty are you on? If you are on Hell and your resists are crappy generally you're toast if you're going to go melee. My summoner druid was more of a hunter where I kept my distance, and kept moving, drop a bear and turn BigD into a pincushion. It took time but it worked.

5. Merlin The Wizzard

Merlin The Wizzard IncGamers Member

It was on normal difficulty, in the green with envy tournament, which basically means little to no equipment with resists (only set or white/gray items, and only greens as socket fillers (so emeralds and green jewels).

Thanks for the advice, all. I usually manage Diablo pretty ok, on normal and even nightmare I usually kill him on p8 (Just takes a long time, is about it). But then, I usually make sure my LR and FR are skyhigh, and I have some kind of decent damage dealing skill (and I dont place summons in this category, not against act bosses). Besides, I hardly ever play summoners (I think I tried a fishymancer once in my entire d2 career...)