Diablo now near unplayable?

millys

Diabloii.Net Member
Diablo now near unplayable?

Me and some friends decided we wanted to play Diablo 2 again, normally we play on useast, but we knew some guys that were already playing on uswest, so that's where we decided to go this time. (I'm from the west coast, so I think, oh well, better ping for me)

We start our guys only to find diablo has become nearly unplayable. Finding a good baal run is basically like winning the lottery, 95% of the time its 8 people sitting in town none of whom have the power to go down and start finding baal. Then sometimes you do get someone strong enough, but they no longer have MH, so it takes a really really long time. But OK, sometimes you get the enigma paladin or strong sorceress with mh that can get down there and clear the minions pretty fast. Unfortunately, when they're done and start the next game. You either A; Crash, and the game becomes full. B; get a failed to join game and the game becomes full; C; the person who was running the game gets one of these crashes, and the run basically disappears (but sometimes you can keep guessing numbers ahead after they have gotten like 3 failed to join games and actually get one in.) So, baal runs suck.

But that's okay. Baal runs, aren't actually that big of a deal, you get your guy to 86 or whatever and you can start doing something else. We mostly just wanted to play together. We started from scratch so we decided we'd do some nightmare mephisto runs together. The 1st one went great! The 2nd, oh, one of us couldn't get in the game because they kept getting failed to join games.. for 30 minutes. Alright, he finally gets in. IT SWITCHES. Now I myself can't get into ANY game for about 20 minutes I just keep getting failed to join. WHATEVER! It finally passes, we get into the game together and start looking for mephisto. Being far from strong, using maybe 1 unique each, those little flayers can really tear us up. But it's okay. I'm a paladin with vigor I'll just run by. Well, not really. Seems games almost endlessly warp you backwards now, back to my death.

Connection interruptions, unplayable lag, failed to join game, random crashes (which is weird because we are running d2 completely legit and from fresh installs, and we never used to crash.) The only thing we aren't getting is realm down, thank god.

So what is this? Is this D2? How long has it been like this? We played when 1.10 and the game was a bit different. There was close to no lag, failed to join games were insanely rare. Baal runs were ran by enigma wearing hammerdin bots that cleared the whole thing in 3 minutes and started a new one.

I don't know. It sucks, I actually really wanted to play Diablo 2 again, but if its always like this, I guess we just can't.

ispankpigeons

Diabloii.Net Member
yeah, didn't you hear thats how blizzard fixed the game with 1.11?

delete the bots to fix lag(hah!), make it impossible for anyone to do magic find runs cause of the game drops, etc..

:: snort ::

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, I've been having crippling problems on USWest too.

And as for Baal games, after all this time and God knows how many hundreds of Baal runs where people just stand around, you'd think that the little morons would catch a clue and realize that they have to do it themselves. But no, they just keep going from game to game saying "OMG lame" and waiting for the run to be fed to them with a silver spoon.

Walk through from the WP to the throne. If you work together, it won't be so bad and you can level as you go. You may even stumble on some decent gear on the way. Sure, it won't be ridiculously easy - it's not supposed to be.

Damn whiny useless Bnet dumbarses.

TeknoRat

Diabloii.Net Member
Here's a kleenex

Now Diablo II has always been kind of a mess, but your problems seem like they'd stem from your connection as, while the lag is bad, you are either overexaggerating or your connection sucks. If you're using a router try forwarding your ports. Also Diablo II sucks a lot of processing power so try and close other programs.

I think you're expecting too much of the game. It's not supposed to be insanely easy with godly characters killing everything in the game with one hit, cuz how is that fun?

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
USWest? There's your problem. I run baals on East. :grin:

All kidding aside... those problems sound worse than usual. Wonder if West is actually worse off than East... or maybe you just haven't learned to work within the rules that bnet's set up to stop bots yet.

millys

Diabloii.Net Member
My connection doesn't suck! I don't use a router. I'm well aware of the little rules of diablo 2 like don't make games every 30 seconds, wait a little bit after you quit a game to join a new one, and all that. And, even if my connection, some how is the cause (it's not) The 3 people I play with, 1 from Canada BC, 1 from Virginia, another from California, all get the same things. I really am not exaggerating these problems, even if it may seem like I am. Last night we just gave up in disgust, but tonight we are going to try again. I'm sure there are some people around here that can say they have these same problems?

I mean, I know Diablo 2 is like, I've played it a lot before! I know all the problems with runners and all that, it's mostly just this random lag that is killing it for me. Does anyone know if its actually better on useast? Cus if it is, we would definitely switch.

buttershug

Diabloii.Net Member
Make up your mind you talk about playing the game then you talk about Baal runs.

Hell was made for skilled dedicated players.
I don't think Blizzard really understood that no one would settle for normal.

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member
The fail to join game happens once in a while. Just switch chars and that should do it. It is definitely worse compared to last few months though.

millys

Diabloii.Net Member
Maybe I shouldn't even have mentioned the baal part. I understand it's a lot harder now, sure. I was just comparing it to how easy it use to be, but really, I don't care that it's hard. That's fine. Hard games are great. What I really meant was that I was having problems getting in the next run due to failed to joins or whatever, and lag issues!

Orphan

Diabloii.Net Member
.... Then sometimes you do get someone strong enough, but they no longer have MH, so it takes a really really long time.
:shocked: I almost stopped reading after this line. You didn't just say that you wish more people would have MH so your baal runs go smoother, did you? :shocked:

:unimpressed:

Alright, I'm composed again. Anyhoo, about the lag issues, oddly enough I haven't met any lag recently during the times I've been on. Now, being in Australia this probably means that I'm on at the off-peak times and all, but still it's been pretty lag-free.

How often does it lag for you? I know you don't want people to point towards your connection, but if it's happening as consistently as you describe then there might be another explanation or something (especially with the constant "teleporting back" while running). If you were to make some games on East (using chars that you probably never intend on using in the long run) would this still occur?

sunshineeee

Diabloii.Net Member
Here's a kleenex

Now Diablo II has always been kind of a mess, but your problems seem like they'd stem from your connection as, while the lag is bad, you are either overexaggerating or your connection sucks. If you're using a router try forwarding your ports. Also Diablo II sucks a lot of processing power so try and close other programs.

I think you're expecting too much of the game. It's not supposed to be insanely easy with godly characters killing everything in the game with one hit, cuz how is that fun?

Your completely and utterly wrong ..:shocked:

I have the some problems, on europe.... And only in diablo do i have lag issues/ect ..

I have 5/2mbit and use no ruter.... My com is completely new so processing power is no problem at all...

It only can be 1 thing ...... THAT CRAPPY 1.11 PATCH!!!!

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
USWest? There's your problem. I run baals on East. :grin:

All kidding aside... those problems sound worse than usual. Wonder if West is actually worse off than East... or maybe you just haven't learned to work within the rules that bnet's set up to stop bots yet.
I've been working around those for ages (six accountloads of mules to perm every month... ugh), and USWest really does seem significantly worse than usual to me lately.

At first I thought it was just me, but a few others have said the same thing.

It only can be 1 thing ...... THAT CRAPPY 1.11 PATCH!!!!
I don't think that's it, I played 1.11 for a while before I took time off and it seemed fine to me.

rykuss

Banned
I played some last night and had several huge lag spikes, some lasted for several minutes. I froze up once and expected a CI but it never came, things went back to normal. I also took note of my /f l, must've been a huge coincidence that people on it were complaining about the lag at the very moment I was getting it.

I've had more problems with the game since the first 1.11 patch than I ever have before.

Loki Mundane

Diabloii.Net Member
I play on both east and west and I have many more problems on west.
Come to East ladder, I'll help ya out Loki_dokey is the name

MapleBarb

Diabloii.Net Member
Me and some friends decided we wanted to play Diablo 2 again, normally we play on useast, but we knew some guys that were already playing on uswest, so that's where we decided to go this time. (I'm from the west coast, so I think, oh well, better ping for me)

We start our guys only to find diablo has become nearly unplayable. Finding a good baal run is basically like winning the lottery, 95% of the time its 8 people sitting in town none of whom have the power to go down and start finding baal. Then sometimes you do get someone strong enough, but they no longer have MH, so it takes a really really long time. But OK, sometimes you get the enigma paladin or strong sorceress with mh that can get down there and clear the minions pretty fast. Unfortunately, when they're done and start the next game. You either A; Crash, and the game becomes full. B; get a failed to join game and the game becomes full; C; the person who was running the game gets one of these crashes, and the run basically disappears (but sometimes you can keep guessing numbers ahead after they have gotten like 3 failed to join games and actually get one in.) So, baal runs suck.
couple of questions I have for you in here are: #1 why should it be up to ONE char to get everyone else to the throne rather then all of you working together? assuming thats the case tho: #2 why not simply start a char that can tele and do it yourself?? this way your friends and you have baal runs at any time you chose to do them at.

millys

Diabloii.Net Member
Please, I don't want to argue the ethics of Baal running.

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing lag issues, though I was already pretty sure it wasn't 'just me,' since I always play with friends who describe the same problems.

Thanks for the offer Loki Mundane, we might have to take you up on it! We've only gotten to 79 on west, (which is low, ofc) so we probably will restart on east.

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
I see no problems with 1.11. It is laggier, yes, but b.net has been getting progessively laggier since I started well over a year and a half ago. Deal with it. However, I only get the occasional lag-out every now and then, and a Failed To Enter once in a while. A simple restart fixes everything. I don't know of any problems like you are describing. However, I play USEast Nonladder, at strange hours mostly, so that may be it.

ayaueto

Diabloii.Net Member
There are ways around these lag problems. But not all.

First when you are trying to create games, try to click the cancel button
as fast as possible, if you managed to do that, the chances are that
the server that the game you are trying to get in is "Bad", meaning it is
laggy.

The "Fail to join" problem has 2 difference "face" on it. First you try
to create/join a game, then the server already let you in, the database
have your character flagged to be "already in game", however the
server is so laggy that you can't do anything, and kicked you out
so you get that FTJG message, but your character is "flagged",
so when u try to join/create
other games, you keep getting it because you can't create/join other
games while you are "ALREADY" in a game. Wait about 10 minutes your
character will be "unflagged", then you are free from the lockup.

this is almost the same as having a connection interruption, get kicked
out but you are still flagged. <- the database didn't have a chance
to unflag you.

Second, the server/game simply refused you to get in, you get that
FTJG message, however your character didn't get a chance to get
flagged. Therefore you are free to do other things.

If the lag spikes, high pings happens during the game, sometimes
its a one off problem, if it persists, i suggest you go make a new game
and get in a "Good" server, then keep on playing. And if you keep getting
those in many other new games, then its just another bad day.

Spending time making a new game is annoying, but it is a lot better
than just cursing your computer/bnet while that lag spikes, high pings,
tele port back, black out happens.

try the above practice and play it like for a week, I am sure your life in
d2 will improve compare to what you have experienced.