Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo MMORPG

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Beancloud, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Beancloud

Beancloud IncGamers Member

Diablo MMORPG

Hey guys....I was just wondering if a Diablo MMORPG came out would u guys play it? I know over all the years that I have played diablo I would love to play it! I wouldent mind the monthly fee. But if this gets enough people mabye we can post a link in the Blizz forums to get it noticed.... As for me

/sign!

2. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

It sounds a bit difficult, from a design point of view.

Imagine 8 people whacking monsters in a map and pickiting the drops. We all know how that works.

Now imagine the same scene with 500 people...

So, obviously, it doesn't make sense to have everyone playing the same map --- so even if there are 10000 people in the game, you'd still end up with 8000 small parties. So you could just as well leave it as it is and put each of these groups into their own game.

"One game" also opens up other questions --- will Blizzard be able to come up with a map/game design that works in such an environment? Or would we get 9995 bots and 5 people sitting in town, waiting for "Mephisto" to respawn, rushing into the Durance hoping to be the lucky one to grab one of the items?

3. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

ouch, and think of all townportals that would make the whole rogue camp white and blue?!
    Or even worse, Pandemonium fortress...

4. Dark Bushido

Dark Bushido Banned

Can someone please explain why the majority of RPG's these days are to be MMORPG?

I understand the economics of it. However, there are a lot of people who do not play online who will look for other games/genres to fulfill their needs.

5. Gorny

Gorny Banned

A possible D3 might have somethings in common with WoW.

No magic find, as in WoW.

For example, when you attack a monster in WoW, you "tag" it. and the drop from the kill can only be taken by the killer ...this is reffered to as looting. When in party play, the looting sysetm has three options :

1. Round Robin... when a monster is killed, the gama takes turns deciding on who can loot. In a party of three, the leader would get to loot the first minster killed by the party, then the next player in line loots the second kill, then the third, then the leader again, then the second, the third, and so forth.

2. Open looting ... anyone in the party can look a kill, first come takes all.

3. Party leader assigns someone to loot, in this one the leader always selects someone to loot. It may be the leader, or any other party member.

Regardless, of if you are in a party or not, no one can steal your loot from a kill.

Other improvements :

Mail system : In WoW, you can mail anything from a type wrtten note to items or money ( gold, silver, copper, etc) to anyone a long as you know the person's character name, account makes no difference. This eliminates the need for muleing since, you can mail items to your other characters. Using the mail system costs 30 copper per use in WoW, and for D3 blizzard could do something like that.

Townportals may be a thing of the past if they do something like WoW's hearthstones. Hearthstones are a TP like device that returns you to your last in that you were at ( in new areas, you can change that by talking to an inkeeper).

As far as quests go and parties working on them, if they do like WoW and have multiple servers available this helps greatly. Sort of like having UsEast split into 20 different servers with a different name, some are PvP and Some are PvE (player Vs. enviorment). Quests qould not be too hard if blizard made the monsters and quest items respawn like in WoW.

That's just the tip of the iceberg hough....

6. Generator Of Chaos

Generator Of Chaos IncGamers Member

I usually like MMORPG's above simple online RPGs.... but as far as Diablo is concerned, it wouldn't work...

for all the reasons stated above, for the MAJOR lag you'd have due to people booting and hacking and dueling.... + it would be a major mess, no matter how big the maps would be...

So, unless Blizzard was to change the gameplay dramaticly it just works better this way...

7. toader

toader Banned

I dont think one company could manage and keep up two MMO games at the same time. Sounds unrealistic.

8. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

A Diablo MMORPG would be missing the point. Diablo II is fun because it's a fast play came. Waiting in line for monsters to spawn is antithetical to DII's game design. Furthermore, the Diablo World really isn't a very well fleshed out one. The entirety of the first takes place under a single town. D2 makes reference to a few things of a more worldwide nature but it's never had enough to do with the game to be all tha interesting.

If D3 turns out to be MMORPG, I'll probably stick to Guild Wars.

9. Gorny

Gorny Banned

If anything like that happens...I don't think it would be for some time.

10. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

I am pretty sure Blizzard guys aren't stupid enough to make two similar MMORPG's within a very short time frame. After all, the same company would then have two similar, competing worlds/games, each fighting for players/priority over the other. That can't be all that good.

I hope Diablo 3, if it comes out, will remain a free of charge RPG, with simple world and lots of possibilities, all packed in 3D. Such a game would aim for a much wider gamer population than a MMORPG.